1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Early Sabbath - Bill Ward was a MONSTER

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by mrfitz98, Apr 15, 2021.

1. mrfitz98

mrfitz98 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Just came across this tonight, one of my favorite Black Sabbath songs, still a work in progress, before getting enshrined on Paranoid. Bill Ward absolutely kills it.

2. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

When I was 12 or 13, the drums on this song and Fairies Wear Boots nearly made me consider drums over guitar.

Ward is still one of my favourite rock/metal drummers of all time. A monster like you say, and a wailer too. He plays so hard. In a lot of videos you can see that he actually turns the drumsticks around and bludgeons his set with the fat ends. Like little baseball bats. Even in this one, during the fast part he's coming back from behind his head to really get some swing on it before he hits the snare. He puts his whole body into that crash cymbal.

Keith Moon used to destroy his drum set on purpose, sometimes using explosives. I've read stories of Ward breaking his drums regularly on tour just by playing them.

3. cometazzi

Oh, and I know this is a thread about Ward, but holy crap that stuff Geezer's doing during that solo section...

4. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I used to have this entire Paris 1970 set on a VHS tape I eventually wore out. They’re young, hungry, and fierce. Great footage.

northernguitar and duzie like this.
  5. Lucius Paisley

Lucius Paisley Tele-Afflicted

There's a great swing to Black Sabbath that kind of "goes away" after Paranoid (album). They don't seem to be having as much fun, musically.

6. cometazzi

I agree and want to say that it was the drugs that sort of tamped down their spirit. But there was definitely some magic, mojo or chemistry happening in the first two albums. They're both my top picks of all time.

7. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Here is the link to the Paris show

zippofan and Manual Slim like this.
  8. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I saw them on the reunion tour from second level, stage right. It was cool to see all the backstage prep area. Perfect Geezer viewing spot! I had a new respect for the band and especially Geezer that night! We didn’t get to see any of the big screen entertainment but it was a great show anyway.

duzie likes this.
  9. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Everyone talks about Bonham, and I like Bonham a lot, but I think Ward wipes the floor with him.

As does Clive Bunker from Jethro Tull. Another absolute destroyer you rarely hear about.

Bassman8, mngsp, Commodore 64 and 3 others like this.
  10. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

I’d also add Ian Paice to that list.

Bassman8, aging_rocker and 421JAM like this.
  11. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

I’m not quite as familiar with Deep Purple, but I’ve definitely heard Paice kick some ass.

12. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

That entire era had drummers with better pocket than most rock bands since. I mean, they all grew up on swing listening to big bands, Elvin Jones, etc.... They weren't just trying to copy rock'n'roll drummers so the bar had been set higher from day 1. By the time the 80's rolled around most rock drummers (with a couple exceptions) needed about 2 weeks of practice, spandex and zero swing to make the cut.

I mean...Michael Shrieve, Mitch Mitchell, Bill Ward, Bill Bruford, John Bonham, Buddy Miles, Ginger Baker, John Densmore and more......All different, but all had one thing in common in that they stand out as their own man behind a kit.

13. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Some have said that once cocaine replaced marijuana as the drug of choice among rock musicians, the overall quality of the music suffered. They may not be entirely wrong.

14. 421JAM

421JAM Tele-Meister

Totally. It’s a long list and I think you’re exactly right about the jazz roots being the reason. Aynsley Dunbar, Mick Waller, Tony Newman, Dino Danelli, Jon Hiseman, Michael Giles, Martin Lamble, Danny Seraphine, Bobby Colombi, Robert Wyatt, and many more.

15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Yeah.

But, sorry, didn't mean to pigeonhole it to just jazz. Back then all those guys in rock bands usually had a big list of influences that came out in their playing/composing.

Like, just as an example, there's a huge difference in all the music guys in a band like the Allman Brothers learned note to note...old blues players, some swing, some jazz, western country, lots of R&B, et cetera. Versus.. being a player who learns some scales/modes/etc and is influenced by the Allman Brothers, y'know? You miss all the good **** if you don't go back and learn what your heroes learned.

Those old bands had a lot more genuine "fusion" in their playing (for lack of better term).

mrfitz98 likes this.
  16. cometazzi

That's been one of the more rewarding parts of my musical journey. Fortunately, since I listened to lots of Dear Ole Dad's music growing up, I was fairly familiar with a bunch of them. Like, when Steve Harris of Iron Maiden said he was a big fan of Wishbone Ash, I was all "yup!".

aging_rocker likes this.
  17. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

It's all about the swing! And Ward it's swinging a damn train with Sabbath. I absolutely adore Bonham and Baker, but man, Bill Ward it's the most incredible rock drummer.

18. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

How is that possible when Vol. 4 is their best album?

ElJay370 likes this.
  19. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I'll add Cozy Powell as another great rock drummer with jazz roots - he played with just about everyone back in the day.

This clip from the Whistle Test with Jack Bruce, Max Middleton, Clem Clempson, Don Airey is just wicked...

20. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Right? Tell me this doesn’t swing...

duzie and northernguitar like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.