Early Bird Prize Awarded - New Early Bird Prize Announced

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TDPRI, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Ginger Lefty

Ginger Lefty TDPRI Member

Manufacturers site economic issues as the main reason for not offering more or sometimes any lefty guitars?
    What is the excuse of the TDPRI?

2. ast370

ast370 Tele-Meister

Congrats!

3. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

Congrats Bill...

4. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    If we did have a left-handed guitar in the Fundraiser 100% of the winners of the left handed Tele would be right-handed.

Should be extremely obvious. Not sure why to a few people it's not.

5. Ginger Lefty

That'll make sense to someone, I hope. If it does please explain it to me.

6. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    The drawings are 100% random. There is only slightly higher than zero percent chance of a lefty winning ANY guitar. In other words the chances that someone left handed won a left handed guitar just about zero.

And, only a small percentage of TDPRI members participate as it is. If we were to attempt to stage a totally separate Fundraiser for lefties - which is what we would have to do -- the number of entrants would be so small as to be close to nil as well.

Unfortunately, we can't hold a separate Fundraiser for such a small sub-set of our membership.

So, I guess this is just restating what was said about Left Handed Guitars not being offered by manufacturers because the market is just too small.

7. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Also, Redd is right handed...

8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire

. . . now that makes sense to me . :cool:

9. rz350

rz350 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Congrats Bill!!!:D

I'm a lefty, but would have no problem winning a right handed guitar, I'd just flip it upside down like I've done with all my Fenders for the past 35 years!:D

10. Ginger Lefty

Tele experts you sure are but mathematicians you are not. I am not a tele expert but I am a mathematician.
    In a draw where it is 100% random as to the outcome, this means that nobody who enters the draw has any weighting. You state that the chance of a lefty winning ANY guitar is slightly above zero.
    In fact, a lefty has the same chance in the draw as everyone else in the draw. That's what 100% random means.

I totally accept the premise that you would need to run a separate draw for it to make sense. I had no idea so few people enter the draw, so I accept that a separate draw is unfeasible.

11. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    You are correct, the chance of a lefty winning would be exactly the same - but when you combine those odds with the odds of the winner selected also being a lefty I think my expectation that the chances are close to zero hold up.

Regardless of the math the reasoning is the same. The only way to offer a left handed guitar and have any chance of giving it away to a left handed player would be to stage a completely separate drawing. Which simply is not feasible.

PS. We have never had more than 2.5% of members participate in the Fundraiser.

12. FenderBender10

FenderBender10 Tele-Holic

I'm a right handed player and if all of these guitars being given away were leftys I would still be ecstatic to win one! I'd just do what Jimi did with his righty guitars and be on my merry way! Plus, I'd have an awesome unique guitar with a cool story.

13. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Something arrived today. Our office manager brought it to my office. She just gave me a look. She knew what it was.

View attachment 306895

Yeah, the Baja. Even though I'm kinda in the middle of a project, couldn't wait. Had to make sure, right?

View attachment 306897

Yep, it arrived safe & sound. Lighter in weight than I expected. The neck is hefty, beefy, but not too much - kinda like it. Overall - pretty amazed. Never won anything in any raffle, so for a first, I'm gobsmacked.

Hey, thanks TDPRI! If I can win one of these, it seems like anyone could. I don't have an amp at work, so I'll have to do a separate NGD later.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1445976647.911136.jpg

WOW! Thanks to all!

14. Bruxist

Bruxist Friend of Leo's

Congratulations!

15. glester

glester Tele-Meister

Congrats teletimetx! I've been looking at those for awhile. Very nice score.

16. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    More more more. We want more photos and more info. Yes?

How do you like it? Did you find the picks and stickers I put in the Gig Bag pocket?

17. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

If I were a left-handed player and I won a right-handed guitar, I would be ecstatic and grateful and a lot of other positive things that I can't think of right now. As others have said, I'd happily play it upside down or I would sell it and apply the proceeds toward the purchase of a left-handed guitar. Any way you look at it, a left-hander winning any right-handed guitar for a $25 ticket is a BIG win.

As a right-handed player, if I won a left-handed guitar, my first reaction might be, "Now what the heck am I going to do with this?" My second would probably be to jump up and down and yell "I WON!" Then I'd send Ginger Lefty a private message and ask him if he wants to buy it, cheap.

The TDPRI Fundraiser has worked just fine for several years, and it wouldn't surprise me if more than one left-handed player has won a right-handed guitar. If that is true, and if you asked them, I'd bet they're pretty happy.

18. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Ginger Lefty has every reason in the world to be grumpy about living in a brown and blond-haired, right-handed world. He's done been hit twice after all. :D

19. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    Actually, I deal with each winner and I recall no left handed players winning a Fundraiser prize in the 14 years we've been giving away guitars.

20. CharlieO

CharlieO Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

That's interesting. Supposedly approximately ten percent of the population is left-handed, and you would think that the odds would lead a lefty to win once in a while. I guess they're not entering because they're only focused on the guitar prizes. I don't recall the pickups, amps, etc. that were offered as prizes in the past being right-handed.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.