Early 90s MIM Telecaster Special: Who has one?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Jul 29, 2018.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My first telecaster was one of the first made in Mexico Telecaster Specials from the mid 90s. I think it was a 94 or 95. It had an ash body with a finish that Fender called Crimson Transparent.

I had done a number of modifications to it after I started playing heavily at blues jams with it. One of the first was to add Sperzel locking tuners, because I had trouble making quick string changes with the ones it cam with. Then I replaced the bridge pickup with a Joe Barden, which matched much better with the neck humbucker. I like the idea of a reverse control plate, But didn’t know how to solder, so I just turned it around. It was pretty funny when people would borrow my guitar at jams, because everything was backwards… The tone knob was in front and you had to put the switch in first position to select the humbucker. At one point, I had a three-saddle bridge with brass saddles installed, which made, to my ears, a big difference in tone quality for the better. One other thing that I did was to sand the back of the neck. The gloss finish they put on it was pretty sticky, especially when your hands got sweaty. Today I love big baseball bat neck profiles…and the neck on that guitar wasn’t nearly what I would call fat… But it was on the thicker side to me after playing shredder necks for years, so I took the center down a little bit too.

Around the early 2000’s, started to get burned out and largely stopped playing my telecaster. I started to get into hollowbodies and rockabilly. My stepbrother was wanting to start playing again and I let him borrow it on indefinite loan, since it was mostly just sitting around at that point anyway. At least I thought I made it pretty clear it was a loan. The next thing I know, he took it to some idiots at a local music store who replaced the three saddle upgrade bridge that I put on it, with a crappy six saddle steel one like the one I took off it, trying to tell him it was an improvement. I was pretty ticked about it. Eventually he sold it for much less than it was worth. Which bothered me, but not enough to make an issue out of it, because I was entering a period of mostly not playing for the better part of a decade.

I look around on craigslist now and then to see if it shows up, but the best I can figure is that somebody is playing it somewhere, or they have parted it out. If anyone in or near the Tampa Bay area has a guitar fitting this description, I’d love to hear from you.

Otherwise, if you have one of these, post your pictures here and tell me about it. A year or two after they came out, they changed the name to the Mexican Fat Tele, I think it was. I think they only made them as the Telecaster Special for maybe two years, around 1994– 1995.

Cheers guys. God bless.

2. El Tele Lobo

Bump

3. El Tele Lobo

Trying this again...

4. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Do you mean one with a black pickguard, crimson burst, 5 way switch , humbucker in neck ?

If so, I bought one of those off of craigslist for $180 about four years ago. I actually sent an email with the link out to my band members as a “hey - somebody buy this off of craigslist , it’s a good deal” And then I found myself a minute from there later on that day starting a road trip with my wife and I just bought it. One of my bandmembers got mad because he was going to buy it and guilted me into selling it to him for I think $200.

Long story short, he still has it but never plays it. I do have right of first refusal on it but to put it bluntly he’s kind of a dick about those things . There’s a ‘60 Tremolux that he has that I helped him get and also have right of first refusal on, and that he also doesn’t play at all and blah, blah, blah...

So anyways, yeah I’m familiar with those guitars and I like it and I think I would keep the stock bridge pick up because I like that but what does it matter - I’ll never get it back…:mad:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2019
  5. Sax-son

Sax-son Tele-Holic

I never owned one, but I did play a friend's MIM standard tele and really liked it. To my ears, it sounded and played better than his 53 tele that he coveted so much. I don't know if they all were as good as that one, but it was a keeper. I haven't seen that many around so perhaps those that have them are holding on to them.

6. Howard VA

Howard VA Tele-Meister

D61C7821-6134-4D6D-B964-EF600BED3B09.jpeg
    Had this one and traded it in for another Tele around ‘99. I so regret getting rid of it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.