1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Early '80s Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Sacdubro, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Sacdubro

Sacdubro Tele-Meister

I've been considering a few early 80's Am Std Teles and wanted to know if there were any issues to be concerned with these models? Also, what is the typical neck profile of them? Unfortunately, I may not be able to play prior to purchase.

2. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

My first Tele was an 83 top loader. It had a great neck, probably 1" at the 12th fret. In fact, a friend of mine said it felt exactly like the neck on his SRV Strat. Great guitar, but I traded it for a nice 77 Tele Custom. Yeah, I was short sighted, but it seemed the right thing to do at the time...

3. Mark Davis

Mark Davis Telefied Ad Free Member

Actual Am stds didnt start till the mid 80's.

Most people would call their neck profile thin.

4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've got a few 83's .. the necks are blade thin on two of them.. and a bit of a fat C on the other... elite bridges...all great players.

one, I can't put down, it's got the thinnest neck, love the elite bridges..sounds great and has my fav neck PU out of many here, it's my house guitar.

It also happens to look the most scratched up and played.. body wise, the frets are great as they are.. I haven't touched the set up, been playing it straight out of the tweed case, Fed Ex from a NY dealer to my door 12 mths or more ago..
    $650 + freight.. bargain, I thought.. a near 30 yr old US Tele.. last of the Fullertons.

I'd take it to any shootout... it'd turn heads I reckon, too,,

5. e-merlin

e-merlin Doctor of Teleocity

Actually, most early 80's Teles were MIJ, which explains the thin necks. The few early 80s MIA Teles had substantial necks. Mine was an actual 83 MIA and it did have the Elite bridge, and I've seen plenty of examples of similiar gutars.

6. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

I've owned and worked on 2 or 3 1983 USA Teles....all had fairly thin necks

with the flatter 12" radius.

7. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

Here's my 1983 USA American Standard, my #1...

As said previously, at least in the case of this guitar, the neck is a good sized C shape, not thin at all. My 2011 Mexi Tele is also a C but the neck is noticably thinner, thickness-wise. The width at the nut seems comparable. I don't know what the radius is, but it's not as flat as a 12. I've owned guitars with flat radiuses and I always end up selling them. My guess is 9.5.

The '83 neck/fingerboard is one piece, it has aTBX tone control and currently a noiseless Neck PU. It's my first electric and a fabulous guitar.

Attached Files:

8. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

You do realize that Serial # was used on others years also don't you ?

Those saddles don't look like 83 Elite saddles...and I don't believe 83s had the TBX yet ?

9. Sacdubro

Sacdubro Tele-Meister

It appears that there is quite a bit of variance in the neck shapes of the '83 models. Would the serial #s denote the neck shape? If so, what would be the ones with a thicker profile. I have a '11 MIM FSR BSB and would like to buy an older MIA with a thicker neck profile.

What years would offer a larger neck profile? I'd like to keep my budget under $1,000 but, I could go up to $1,500 for the right one. I want a player/keeper that I can give to my son down the road.

10. buckallred

buckallred Tele-Meister

I have an 83. Nice thick neck, toploader bridge. Flatter radius. It is a fantastic guitar, i will never sell it.

11. Sacdubro

Sacdubro Tele-Meister

What's the Serial # on yours? One I'm looking at has E328217.

12. Tele-Champ

Tele-Champ Tele-Holic

My '83 is still my #1!

[​IMG]

13. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

I had an '81 that had a really nice thick neck. Another one I should have kept!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.