1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Earliest Sunset

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Buckocaster51, Dec 10, 2019.

1. trxx

trxx Tele-Afflicted

You know, I have talked to a number of people who used to work evenings and switched to days when openings came up. Pretty much everyone on my shift has moved to working days at this point. And most of them have complained about getting depressed during the winter. The only sun they are getting on workdays is a little in the morning on the drive to work. By the time they are driving home, the sun is half down. Even during the warmer months, I like having the best part of the day (morning) to myself, not being crunched to run to work and spend the most potent portion of my day's energy for someone else's cause. While all those day-shifters are clanging away, it's quiet and relaxing outside in the morning and it gives me time to think without being tired from the day's work.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ok, have started looking into light therapy lamps. There’s like a bazillion of them. Should I just buy the cheapest one?

Cheers,
    Geoff

3. RollingBender

RollingBender Tele-Afflicted

I love winter...a pleasant break from the Minnesota state bird...mosquitos!

4. janea69

janea69 TDPRI Member

Here in Norway , Oslo , Sunrise today was at 09:07 AM , sundown at 3:12 PM (15:12 in our terminologi) 6H 4Min of daylight, that is 12H 45Min shorter time with daylight than on midsummers day.

I like wintertime , but it is like an "awakening" for me every time the spring is here. Been north of the arctic circle a couple of times in the summer, the never ending daylight is crazy , the contrasts from winter/summer up there is big. Guess you have to been born up there to cope with it...

KevinB likes this.
  5. KevinB

KevinB Doctor of Teleocity

When I grew up in Northern England my first "real" job was as a computer operator and I frequently worked the night shift. In the winter that meant I finished work when it was still dark, slept all day, and woke when it was dark again, so I'd often go almost a week without seeing the sun. There again, while I've been to Alaska and Iceland I've never been north of the Arctic Circle.

But, the difference in days between latest sunrise and earliest sunset is mostly down to the obliquity of the Earth's axis; the fact that the tilt of the axis is not constant as it is affected by the gravitational pull of the moon and planets.

More info here.

janea69 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.