1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Ear Phones question

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by ricketts, Feb 23, 2021 at 4:52 AM.

1. ricketts

ricketts TDPRI Member

Bought a Mustang LT50 yesterday (need ear phones for quiet practice) but taking it back today because it just doesn’t sound good to me (only play clean, touch of reverb). Question: Can earphones be used on a tube amp, or better SS w/o an earphone Jack in stand by mode using the external Jack?
    Also could use suggestions for home only, clean amp (my Tele is a Player Series BSB). Thanks!

2. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Do you have good earphones?

3. ricketts

ricketts TDPRI Member

Think so. Bose Noise cancel

4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

No, not gonna work in any way, shape, or form. Buy a multi-effects box like a Boss GT-1 or Gt-100, or something similar.

5. ricketts

ricketts TDPRI Member

Is the GT or GTX significantly better the. The LT50? Thanks

6. runstendt

runstendt TDPRI Member

Using headphones with anything besides the headphones jack with either:
    a) Not work
    b) Seriously damage your hearing
    If your amp does not have a headphones jack, do not use headphones. If you do not want to get another SS amp, a multi-effect pedal, like suggested above, would be a great way to go. The Roger Linn Adrenalinn III has some incredible amp models, plus the effects are cool, so if you can swing it I'd recommend one of those. If you want something less expensive, look at what Vox, Zoom, and Digitech are making.

7. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Home only, clean ( and more ) amp with good headphones out plus a host of other touches of awesome?, look no further than the Yamaha THR series.
    Cheap, very cheerful, fine sounding and with good headphones out plus a cool delay?, Blackstar Fly 3 stereo pack.

Vox, Roland, Laney and others also produce mini amps that sound so good at close quarters, until you try them, you'll dismiss them as toys. The Laney series also look hella cool ( opinion )
    Multi-effect pedals with headphone out may well be the way to go. Sound quality has come so far in the last decade, they're well worth looking in to.

StevesBoogie likes this.
  8. tattypicker

tattypicker TDPRI Member

Pretty sure my old Marshall Lead 12 from the 80s had a headphone out, so I’m sure there are plenty more recent SS options.

Yamaha THRs all have good cleans and dedicated headphone jacks, even the 100w gigging head.

9. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

It also depends on how good the headphone amp is on whatever unit you are using. I mostly play through my computer and if I use headphones, it’s through the interface, which most have a good headphone amp.

10. LowCaster

LowCaster Tele-Afflicted

Should be good. Different earphones=different tone, that’s something you might want to explore. But earphones do not sound like a live amp, and solid state (or cheap digital amp) doesn’t sound like a tube amp.

11. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

A Weber Headphone Tap placed between your amp (up to 50 watts) and your speaker yields separate Headphone & Line-Out jacks & volumes. I bought one to use with Blues Junior.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.