E-Z Tool for Adjusting Truss/Orig. Tele

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by Rotris, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Rotris

Rotris TDPRI Member

Hey,

Someone had posted a while back with a tool that looked like an allen wrench that could be used to adjust the truss rod on an old school Fender neck without unscrewing the bolts. Can anyone help me out?

2. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

I made a tool for adjusting heel TR adjusters like on old Fenders. It's a flathead screwdriver bent into an "s" shape.
    Anyone who needs to remove a Fender neck to adjust a truss rod prolly should NOT be messing with it in the first place. TRs should be adjust with the neck attatched, strings tuned to pitch,and checked in playing position.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Offset Screwdriver.

Get one with two large flat blades 90 degrees rotation off one another. One with short bits; too long and they won't fit into the recess.

[​IMG]

4. VillainSean

VillainSean Tele-Meister

I've been using a larger flat head nail.

CCK1 likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Paint can openers from the hardware store work well too.
    In the old days we just used a narrower slot screwdriver even on Strats and later Tele bodies that had no channel there making an offset screwdriver fit with the guard off.

Fender even approved and put a little divot in the guard so we could get to half of the truss nut, plus Fender put a double slot on the nut so there was always some slot showing.

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

73D2798E-EAC8-4606-9D62-C1C68D958688.jpeg 809A714E-F65F-4EF2-8CD7-0F76B09A519D.jpeg Here’s a Tele body from the post 1969 style when Fender eliminated the channel they later put back after old used Fenders became more expensive than new ones.
    There we also see the double slot nut that made it easier to adjust with the neck on the body.
    I can’t find one with the nut all buggered up from being adjusted that way but they did get damaged a lot.
    The other pic shows a post 1969 or so Tele guard with the little divot.
    We adjusted truss rods wit ordinary screwdrivers and the guard on the guitar.
    Lots of those guards are also buggered up there.

7. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

The Stewmac wrench is the simplest tool ...
    https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...-tools/wrenches/truss-rod-crank-for-tele.html
    [​IMG]

Offset screwdrivers usually have longer 'arms' that are too long. And paint can openers are often not very strong. I avoid SM if I can, but some of their stuff just happens to be the best solution.

Adjustment without taking the neck off is also aided by filing a channel in the top surface next to the bottom end of the neck pocket (with big round file), and also notching the pickguard (or taking it off - easier on some guitars than others). If neither of those are palatable, you may be able to get by with just slackening the strings right off and loosening the neck screws.

Fretting out and modavis99 like this.
  8. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

Bought these off a market stall several decades back - not great quality but do the job when required. Smallest just about wriggles in, though to be honest, I’d rather take the neck off.

Attached Files:

9. Rotris

Rotris TDPRI Member

Thanks all!

10. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

I own the StewMac tele crank and it is all it's cracked up to be. Someone else suggested a paint can opener in a mother forum and it works almost equally as well as the tele crank.

11. Rotris

Rotris TDPRI Member

Thanks all

12. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

"Church Key"

The old paint can opener found at most hardware stores as telemnemonics pointed out.

Been using one of those for years.

Not sure why the one end has the bottle opener?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.