1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

E-miel's 2020 Brotherhood build - Single cut: Begoge

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by E-miel, Mar 7, 2020.

1. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Day 1 - I accidentally started already
    89 days left.

So... The plan was to start a bit later, but after all the new brotherhood threads I couldn't help myself today.

Joining the body blank
    I bought all the wood for this project about two years ago. It was already planed flat and square. Today I planed the edges extra flat for an invisible glue line, I hope ;). When I was happy I spread some glue and clamped it up!
    IMG_20200307_204631.jpg
    IMG_20200307_204552.jpg

What did you say? Begoge?
    Yes, Begoge. I like to give my builds a name. It's not always possible to think of something original, but this time I did.
    Although the name is original, the body shape isn't. And that's where the name comes from. I'm building a guitar with the body shape heavily inspired by the Origin built by Girault Guitars in France.
    Begoge comes from "Beter goed gejat" which is the first halve of a dutch proverb that translates into something like "It's beter to steal a good idea, than to think of a bad one". A bit in line with Picasso's "Good artists copy, great artists steal".

I'm looking forward to building this guitar! :)

Have a nice day,
    Emiel

2. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Dude! I see glue! :eek:

3. crazydave911

crazydave911 Doctor of Teleocity

Welcome friend! :D

4. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Emiel, I must tell you I love Holland. Anyone studying economics knows about the great fortunes gained and then lost over your tulips. I actually saw them last year at Keukenhof. I had the great pleasure to be invited to a party celebrating the birthday of Queen Beatrix several years ago. EVERYTHING was orange…the orange Queen. Including every drink served at the party. The Dutch know how to throw a party! But regarding your concern about having a straight invisible glue line. Based on some of your buildings in Amsterdam and Rotterdam I don’t think anyone in Holland will notice. I love your country, I can’t wait to visit again.

3.jpg crooked-houses-amsterdam.jpg

and if they do notice just call it art. It will easier to figure out than this art I saw in Rotterdam. I am still trying to figure it out.
    b93487b7e020ffba7a770edd2ae70372.jpg
    Wade

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  5. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Is that mahogany?

crazydave911 likes this.
  6. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

begoge, een uitdrukking die ik nog niet kende ;-)
    begoge , i did not know that word.
    but he, someone invented the wheel somewhere in history and see how many use that idea in so many things.
    the fork, the spoon, the guitar. someone started it with an idea, and others tweaked it.
    i looked up the website Girault Guitars and am curious what model you are going to tweak.

crazydave911 likes this.
  7. RatBug

RatBug Tele-Meister

The Origin is what he said in his first post. So I guess something like this. Which is an alreay cool tweak of Leo's design.

[​IMG]

8. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

ahh, i must have mist that , thank you ;)

crazydave911 likes this.
  9. jrblue

jrblue Friend of Leo's

Girault has excellent body shapes that refer to Fender originals but without copying them directly. And the changes are really well-done. Much more legit, to me, than someone's new Tele-copy made more carefully out of better wood w/ boutique pickups. Haven't we had enough of those yet?

erix and crazydave911 like this.
  10. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

I checked out the Giraut site... the "california" caught my eye. The description of it mentioned a Jazzmaster... I'm making a Jag, maybe I should take a look at the body and use his ideas as inspiration. Hmm....

crazydave911 likes this.
  11. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Friend of Leo's

The tele is a great platform for interpretation! Also, I visited Amsterdam last year and loved it. Maybe give it a stroopwafel finish. Mmmmm...

crazydave911 likes this.
  12. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Wow, what a lot of interest and replies. I really appreciate that, thank you guys :)

That only shows in the photos under the right angle ;)

Thanks Dave!

Yes it is. I'm not exactly sure but I suspect it is Honduran Mahogany. Later I will talk a bit about the woods I am going to use.

That's probably cause I came up with it myself ;) It's just de first to letters of the words "Beter goed gejat"

You are right, the Origin. I really love the original take on the tele shape.

Indeed, they build beautiful guitars.

So you have visited Amsterdam and Rotterdam more recently than I did ;). Although it's not that far I've only been there a few times. I live in the northern part of the Netherlands where it is less crowded than in "de randstad". And with my current backyard I don't see myself moving anytime soon. When you visit again and come to Drenthe, I'll take you on a cycling trip! And I'll get you a stroopwafel, I promise :)

[​IMG]
    (Dwingelerveld & Drents-friese wold)

13. E-miel

E-miel Tele-Meister

Day 3 - Design & Wood
    87 days left.

So let's show my interpretation of the Origin guitar shape by Girault guitars.

blueprint.png

I made it a bit less offset, changed the lower boud and made the contour "softer". The top will be domed, with a little neck angle and a recessed bridge. I have not decided yet what to do pickup wise, but I think I'm going with a single bridge humbucker without pickup ring and rear height adjustment. I also changed the headstock shape to a PRS style. The headstock will be angled too. Oh, and did I say it will be a set neck?

Next step is to take some pictures of the wood I'm going to use and combine it with the design. For the top I bookmatched it digitaly, so the real version will be a bit different. So, not visible but said earlier, a mahogany body, zebrano top wenge neck and wenge fingerboard. I'm going for a natural wood finish, probably something oil based, I want to keep the open pores.

woods.png

Which I think I should be able to cut free from this:

IMG_20200309_134026.jpg

I already have all the parts except some pots, so there won't be a holdup caused by waiting on parts.

Thanks for reading and have a nice day!
    Emiel

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  14. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Afflicted

if it where mine, but is isn't of course, i would try to let the armrest curve follow the fretboard curve at the body side like the origin does.
    and, if you would use a binding, a dark one ;-)

E-miel likes this.
  15. 2blue2

2blue2 Friend of Leo's

Its a nice graceful design.

E-miel and crazydave911 like this.
  16. DrASATele

DrASATele Poster Extraordinaire

Another one off to the races! Looking sweet!

17. wadeeinkauf

wadeeinkauf Tele-Holic

Thank you! I did not mention the bicycles in Holland...O.M.G. Dutch women are very lovely but STAY out of their bike lanes!!!!!! I did not even know it was a bike lane but the Dutch women had no problems letting me know.
    bike.jpg
    She looks so sweet but STAY OUT of her bike lane!
    kingsday01.jpg
    And your Dutch Mounted Police had such good form!
    horse.jpg
    Officer, I think I need arresting.
    Did I mention I love Holland.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  18. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

This is looking good. And I don’t just mean the girls! :lol:

E-miel, crazydave911 and wadeeinkauf like this.
  19. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Doctor of Teleocity

This is looking good! Looking forward to watching it progress.

20. peeweepete

peeweepete Tele-Meister

I dig the general design but am not so sure if I like the PRS headstock style. Seems a tad too pointy for all those smooth curves. But whatever floats your boat, I'll gladly follow along!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.