E-flat tuning for EJ Thinline made it a player

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
My least played guitar is an EJ Thinline due to how hard it is to bend on it. It has 3 springs in the cavity, the bridge is floating about 1/16" to 1/8" above the body, and it has .10 strings. Was always harder to bend the strings on it than it was on any other guitar I have.

Tonight I came across a video on youtube about lowering the tuning on Strats to Eb. I tried it and not only is the EJ is much easier to play now, I think it also sounds better.

Anyone else tune to Eb for playability or tone?

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
There is a psychological effect where we as humans prefer the lower pitched thing in an A/B comparison. Hence why nonsense like a=432Hz gains traction.

Also the playability factor is basically because a 25.5” scale instrument at a lower tuning will have closer feel to a shorter scale instrument in tension. This also imparts a certain plunkiness to the sound a shorter scale instrument would have.

I write a lot of bass-less stuff in G6 tuning (DGdgbe, standard with the low two dropped). Or do solo stuff in D or Db standard. With either you get a low end register benefit without it really messing with your brain.

loopfinding

Poster Extraordinaire
I do like D standard on 25.5" scale guitars if I'm doing lots of bends (Albert King solos cone to mind).

Strats in E flat do sound better to my ear but does limit some of the usability for playing in bands.

Yeah that’s one of the benefits of the D standard. You just mentally move the dots and you’re golden.

eclecticsynergy

Friend of Leo's
EJs have quartersawn necks, so they tend to feel stiffer than most regular Strats.

I love E♭ tuning, though I seldom have the luxury of using it.
Not only does it sound and feel better, but it allows for easier feedback.

sloppychops

Tele-Afflicted
EJs have quartersawn necks, so they tend to feel stiffer than most regular Strats.

I love E♭ tuning, though I seldom have the luxury of using it.
Not only does it sound and feel better, but it allows for easier feedback.
There's been a lot of speculation on why the EJ feels stiffer. The quarter sawn neck may have something to do with it, but I believe the main reason is the low height of the frets. This puts your fingertips more in contact with the fretboard, which creates drag when bending.