E-bow users?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by wulfenganck, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

I like ebow with guitar tone & volume both nocked back to 50%, a phaser on the slow side through delay. I'm not a fan of using distortion with it, but that's just personal preference. Neck pickup is great...if you have one. Neither of my guitars do. The elbow can be tricky and glitchy on my esquire but sounds otherworldly beautiful on my aluminum neck Kramer. Not sure why.

2. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

No, sorry.

3. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

It's really helped my playing!

4. umasstele

umasstele Tele-Afflicted

I got a 1990s version for Christmas, and have been playing around with it at home. Plan on using it for a couple early Tom Petty tunes with my band. Their second album is full of ebow...
    I love using it with delay

Minimalist518 likes this.
  5. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

I have used the ebow since the late 70's.
    I use it with revereb, echo, flanger chorous, dirt boxes loopers, for avant trash noise, spaced chill, , great for generating grindage, both boss feedbacker pedals are nice with it, the gonkulator really makes it shine. I am waiting or the Digitech natural feedback pedal which will certainly see some ebow. I have been using a slide with it forever; I sit one one a lap steel for the processed drone thing while playing guitar.
    The E-Bow if nothing else is loyal and trustworthy.

JJAdams1956 and Minimalist518 like this.
  6. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

I used to play with an ebow in a band but I lost it at a gig and shortly thereafter the band broke up. I found the best tones were usually on my neck pickup of my Tele with the old fashioned wiring scheme in place.

Check out this tune, all ebowed acoustic guitar:

https://open.spotify.com/track/3hcZnRqOwPDhJ4Ou77xZXK

7. Anode100

Anode100 Friend of Leo's

Front pickup - avoid putting the ebow over the pickup, as has been said before.

I use mine for multi-tracking harmony lines (in an ambient studio project I'm part of).

Soak the whole thing in overdrive and reverb, and you've got some *very* cool tunes.

8. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

I've used it for drifting spaced out ambient excursions. With that overtone switch you can really get some rich sounds. As mentioned, you have to roll the tone back or it will ice pick your eyeballs out. You can do string bends with it too. You just have to move the eBow with the string.

Minimalist518 and Anode100 like this.
  9. chemobrain

I do like to ebow most using a neck bumhucking pickup, with delay reverb and some kind of modulation fx. It's tasty ,for sure for sure without all the condiments, but hey they just add to the fun.

10. Billkwando

Billkwando TDPRI Member

I've had my ebow for a week or so! I'm still getting the hang of it, but it's really really fun. I was watching a L'Arc~en~Ciel live DVD (Awake - 2005) and saw Ken whip one out on Neo Universe, and was all like "Oh no you didn't!". I had always thought that was backwards guitar, and unplayable by humans. Now it's just a pretty easy song that I pretty much have the hang of!

I'm still experimenting with other sounds with it, but being the tinkerer that I am, I spent just as much time trying to figure out the contraption Ken was using to pull the ebow out of nowhere!

I haven't played with the harmonics mode much, but I am certain that it would come in very handy for replicating the opening of Joe Satriani's Flying in a Blue Dream, without needing your amp at stadium volumes.

Oh man, I've tried the bending thing, and I definitely don't have that down yet. One thing that makes this thing sound hugely amazing, with distortion or OD, is finger vibrato. You can turn what was a plain droning buzz, into sweet singing overdrive.

I DEFINITELY don't have the whammy bar + ebow thing down yet!

I noticed that lots of folks have talked about rolling the volume back, and I haven't needed to so far.....though mostly I've been playing it through Rocksmith 2014 on PC rather than an actual free-standing amp. I do want to try experimenting with rolling the tone back, cos my sweet paper & oil tone cap doesn't ever get any love.

I haven't tried a humbucker yet! My only guitar with an HB in the neck is my Satriani Ibanez JS10th (the chrome plated one), which I've had socked away safely in its case for a month or so, because we had a bunch of workmen and duct cleaners coming in and out of the house....and I was trying to keep the dust off of it. Gonna have to pull that bad boy out!

It sounds great on my Fernandes Love Driver strat. I'm using a Custom Shop '69 in the neck.

That rod idea sounds interesting! As I mentioned earlier, I was trying to find a good way to quickly grab the ebow without resorting to shelves, dixie cups, or other methods that require you to be standing in a certain spot, and this is what I ended up with:

(please excuse the crappy battery amp I used for the demo....there's no delays or reverbs or anything!)

I'm really happy with it, and it works just like Ken's, minus the pink tape! If you're interested in getting one, they're up on ebay. :)

I definitely need a lot more practice with the ebow, but it's really fun, and adds a whole unique new dimension to guitar playing and/or making weird noises!

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    nojazzhere and jddub440 like this.
  11. chemobrain

I am using my E-bow with a slide, an old line 6 rack mount modulation thingy, delay, and/or add some ring modulator. I recently received the Digitech Freqout feedback pedal I can see a slot becoming available in the signal chain for the freqout.
    I have so much fun with the e-bow,
    "he takes a seat, lets his hair down, eyes roll back, and an up to no good grin crosses his face, throws out the rule book and drifts off far far away."
    Yes, the neck pickup seems to work consistently for me.

Minimalist518 and Billkwando like this.
  12. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Holic

If you are at least decent player and an advanced noodler,like myself, you can't not have one by your side. Oh I forgot! ADD also, so I get bored fast. However. If you have a few tools, I have found I can stay immersed for quite a bit before hanging it up or the wife yelling, "hang it up"! So, here are my tools, A good volume pedal, a compressor, an O/D, your favorite octave machine, delay and a looper. I don't perform live, but the looper seems very friendly to use with the E-bow. And having the pedals I mention in different combos can really give a lot of different voices. Then looping some cool riffs, you have some unique to jam on.

chemobrain and Minimalist518 like this.
  13. Billkwando

Billkwando TDPRI Member

Yeah you can get some really unique sounds with it, when combined with other effects.

While I'd mostly been using it with my Love Driver (strat), I did finally get around to trying it on my good old chrome Satriani model, and it sounds great with humbuckers, too.

I tried the harmonic mode, and got some very feedbacky sounds, like I anticipated when I mentioned the FIABD song, earlier.

When I tried it on the Ibanez, I actually used it on a very short joke song I was recording (only 30 seconds, for trolling people with bad aim, lol) so you can hear what it sounds like, below.

I'm playing 3 guitars (clean rhythm, envelope filter, and the ebow one comes in at the end) along with slap bass and my Ion e-drums. I'm a crappy drummer, but I cleaned it up on the MIDI piano roll. LOL

Lots of thick delay and distortion on the ebow guitar.

Also, I've actually sold quite a few of my Quickdraw Ebow Slings. I was honestly surprised that there were that many Ebow users out there, and of what I assume is a very small subset of guitarists, that around 10 of them have already managed to stumble upon my little product.....that (like everything I sell) I originally made for my own use.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  14. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

I like playing fast arpeggios across 3 or 4 strings while changing chords

15. Billkwando

Billkwando TDPRI Member

I find bopping around from string to string very difficult, still.....but it's an awesome effect when you can do it right!

noname_dragon likes this.
  16. noname_dragon

noname_dragon Tele-Meister

Billkwando- love the chainsaw squirrel! Yeah I drag the Ebow lightly across the strings while keeping it in the sweet spot by the neck PU. Start out slow back and forth over 2 strings in rhythm, then go to 3, then 4. Sounds very classical like a viola or cello. I pull that out once in awhile with the band, on the right song of course, always get very surprised looks.

Billkwando likes this.
  17. Minimalist518

Make that 11, LOL!

Billkwando likes this.
  18. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

I like to have both pickups on and I put the ebow wherever it sounds best... and move it directly on and off the neck pickup to work the dynamics as I need. And I'll use any effect I need with it, too.

19. Billkwando

Billkwando TDPRI Member

Ah yes, the squirrel! I've been using that for years and years. One of the 2 Johns from They Might Be Giants was in a musical called People are Wrong, about this crazy gardener who starts a cult, and that was a piece of the promo art that I snagged before they took the site down:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Are_Wrong!

For the ebow hopping technique, I've seen people do it in videos, and it sounds really cool.

I see that, thanks a bunch! It'll be in the mail tomorrow morning! :)

You should definitely have it by the weekend, or even sooner.

20. Minimalist518

Thanks, man. I’m psyched, been looking for a solution to that particular problem for a long while!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.