E-bow users?

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by wulfenganck, Mar 29, 2017.

1. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Didn't find it with the search function, so I guess it's about time to start one here, isn't it?

Anyway, the E-bow and me has been a bit of an on-off-relationship.
    I bought one back around '93....and loved it. That was the time when I got into more effect-ridden sounds with delay and flanger (I was quite into The Edge, Andy Summers and Jamie West-Oram from The Fixx at the time). Then it was stolen from our rehearsal room.....my sound changed and I was in a band with a keyboardplayer, so no need for eerie wall of sounds from the guitar (and although it lasted a couple of years and was a nice little band, I actually don't think I will ever play again in a band with keyboards and synthies).
    Then I paused more or less completely between 2005 and 2012.
    I started again 2012, but it was time for a substantial change - I got rid of my big rack system and the massive 4x12 box and went for a small combo.

I bought an e-bow again, but my hands felt too clumsy to make it work properly and it didn't fit into the band I started 2013. So I sold it - regretting it the very moment it was gone.

Well, it's always better to finish what you started, so I bought one again - delivered today.....ah, the heartwarming feeling to meet an old friend you've not seen in long time!!!

Anybody else e-bowing?

What are your soundsettings, what are your special tricks?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    Minimalist518 likes this.
  2. TMMC

TMMC Tele-Afflicted

I've been on and off for years. I love it. I've done some things with it that have literally become favorite recordings. But it's not always easy. Any samples?

3. callasabra

callasabra Tele-Afflicted

I got one for Christmas and have Been experimenting with it. Haven't used it live yet, have created some interesting pads with it and my 7 string though

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 TDPRI Member

I have had mine for about 5 years now. I got it to try something different and ended up using it on one track of the song that I wrote for my wife's wedding march when we got married. Then it got put in a drawer and forgot for a while. I just got it out a few weeks ship and started playing surround with different sounds again. They are definitely fun toys.

5. amhildreth

amhildreth TDPRI Member

Been using one since early 90's, thanks to Big Country. I'm on my 2nd one now - the first finally stopped working last year. I usually use mine with a Telecaster: neck pickup, tone around 6-7, and moderate to heavy reverb. Nothing else like those little gems.

6. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

Bought mine in '89 or so. It's the original black reissue with the red l.e.d.
    I bought one of the newer gray ones with the blue l.e.d. and two position switch and the improvements kind of worsened what I thought was perfect as-is. I didn't like it nearly as well. It did two sounds, neither of which sounded as good as my black one. Glad I didn't get rid of my original!
    I've only had to have it repaired once. The battery corroded and destroyed the battery clip during a fallow period. It was a cheap repair.

7. Minimalist518

Minimalist518 Tele-Afflicted

IMG_2847.JPG

8. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

I found mine in a dark corner of a stage at a bar gig. Probably about 15-ish years ago. Still have it, and use it for one specific moment in this cover/variety band I'm in.

9. stringslinger

stringslinger Tele-Holic

Oh, you asked for tricks! Humbuckers work best, I suggest neck pickup, as the overtones produced can already be ear-piercing sometimes. Work along the string (neck area vs bridge area), that helps you control the overtones and volume. As you slowly move the eBow off a string, you can fade the sound out. I did use it once in the studio to emulate a string section. Probably did about 6 tracks, using 3-4 part harmonies.

Here is that example from my old funk band. Starts around the 3:20 mark. Back in my wanna-ba-Trey-Anastasio days!

https://open.spotify.com/track/1j33IGiYhOAAHtIiZE0Xcc

10. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Got one in the late 90s and use it on and off. It disappeared for a few years and recently found it. Still learning guitar and the elbow is fun to pull out every once in a while. Really fun on my banjo. A truly unique effect.

KDawg64 and wulfenganck like this.
  11. 9fingers

9fingers Tele-Meister

I haven't used mine in a while. Y'all have have reminded me to get it out again. I used it with a slide and a volume pedal for some bowed/hornlike sounds that were really cool.

Ex-riverman and amhildreth like this.
  12. crossroader

crossroader Tele-Afflicted

I've had mine for years - I don't even remember how long, but it's the original black model with the red LED.

I love playing around with it at home, especially when I get things going with my looper.
    But I've never used it on stage with any of the bands I've been in. I have brought it to one of our local jams and I've messed around with it while playing background-type sounds. Loads of fun, but it has pretty limited applications in the music I typically play.
    But I'll keep trying...... :)

13. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

So far it's been great fun trying it out - I do miss the original one 'though, as the new "harmonics mode" doesn't really add something interesting to me and with the small switch it's fairly easy to be accidentally activated. I find the sound rather ear-piercing, even with rolled back volume and treble.
    Anyway, we're currently working on a cover-version of "Teardrop" by Massive Attack and have been experimenting with reverse delay and the e-bow adds up nicely so far.

My preference is neck pickup, with volume about 25% rolled back compared to my usual setting and the tone knob rolled back about 50%. Clean sound seems better than crunch. I got some really lovely weird glitchy sounds with a combination of clean sound, reverse delay and wah wah, tried it out for the outro solo on "Walk On The Wild Side" by Lou Reed in yesterday's band practise.....will try it out on our gig on sunday (maybe scaring off the audience, but hey, we all have to push the boundaries from time to time....)

14. cboutilier

cboutilier Tele-Afflicted

I heard one for the first time last night at an open mic. Super cool

15. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Poster Extraordinaire

I have an original black one and a couple of grey ones. I like the two modes on the grey one, and prefer this model overall.

I've used E-bow live, but mostly call on it as a recording tool. I've used it on several records, a few approaches for which are listed below:

- w/ glass slide, liberal delay, & MXR Blue Box octave box to fake portamento analog synth.

- w/ baritone guitar to emulate cellos and lower register bowed instruments.

- multi-tracked three or four voice chord washes, serving similarly as would a keys pad.

The overall sonic presentation can be very different depending on whether one 'plays' the E-bow to get bowed or dynamic effects (by moving the device along the string with variable proximity to pickup) and/or with a less compressed signal (loud & clean)

- * or * -

going for a more even response, via keeping placement of the device more stationary on the string, and/or by using a more compressed signal. The compression can come from compressor, gain boxes, or amp, or some combination thereof.

The intro for the song in the following link is a three voice chord pad of the more even, compressed variety. I actually designed the part to add subtle girth to the outro of the song (and it is in there), but the producer decided to also fly the part in as an intro.

Strat neck pickup ---> Menatone J.A.C. optical compressor --> T. Rex Reptile digital delay (w/ modulation on repeats) ---> Vox AC15

MilwMark likes this.
  16. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

I have vintage mid-80s version as shown in an earlier post. I love it and use it often for atmospheric stuff. Got hooked on it by watching Dave Fielding from The Chameleons UK use it on many of their songs. He is a master of the eBow.

I like to use it with a lot of reverb and a couple of layers of delay for that trippy shoegaze sound. I even experimented with some way of mounting it on a rod to my guitar so I wouldn't have to keep picking it up and putting it down. Still need to make that happen somehow.

Keep the eBow alive, fellas!

17. sockgtr

sockgtr Tele-Meister

Front pup, roll the tone ALL the way off. Do NOT place the elbow directly over the pup. Use some delay. Or, use a very saturated distortion, like a Big Muff, and then the tone can be kept up. It's all about the compression :)

18. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Yeah, pulling the elbow from time to time is essentiell.....

nojazzhere and Ex-riverman like this.
  19. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Holic

Can't watch the YT-video in Germany, any other soundfile available online?

20. Theslack5

Theslack5 Tele-Meister

I've had an ebow for about 20 years and while it's certainly not an everyday thing I have gotten a fair amount of use out of it. My band usually go into the studio once or twice a year and I always bring it with me, I'm a massive synth fan but a terrible player so the ebow is a great tool for layering drones underneath things. Neck pick up, roll off the tone pot, bit of reverb and flanger hard to beat.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.