e-bikes: Cool or controversy?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by imwjl, Jun 3, 2019.

When I think of e bikes I think.

1. I'm there dude.

13 vote(s)
    19.1%
  2. Not over my dead body.

12 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Some day.

21 vote(s)
    30.9%
  4. Maybe.

22 vote(s)
    32.4%
  1. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

yep

two wheelers here are largely used for "pleasure" (bicycles and motorcycles) whereas in most other parts of the world, they are primary transportation, so the culture is quite different.

telemnemonics likes this.
  2. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

[​IMG]

3. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Chunkocaster likes this.
  4. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I could see a future with more pedal powered / electric assisted enclosed 3 wheeled vehicles. There are some pioneers in that right now which looks very promising, but too expensive. Beyond that, I leave electric motored cycles to scooters and not bicycles. With the quality of gearing found in bicycles these days, it only takes a little bit of understanding on how to use those gears for just about anyone to be able to pedal a bicycle. Healthier for the rider as well.

We just received those e-bikes in Omaha and after only a week they have become a menace. I don't know of any State that has been happy with them either. So far, the problem has been with riders crashing into pedestrians on the sidewalks where they were never supposed to be in the first place. I guess I am not a fan.

5. ClashCityTele

ClashCityTele Tele-Holic

I hadn't heard of e-bikes until one day I saw a cyclist coming towards me on a narrow, flat road.
    The car behind him was trying to overtake...but couldn't catch him AND he wasn't pedalling.
    I was really freaked out.

6. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Meister

Yep, definitely agree with that.

My partner and I have cycled for pleasure and travel (e.g. getting to the train station) for many years, but recent health complications mean that we are now considering getting an e-bike for her. If that means that she can keep on cycling then I'm all for it.

I shall of course continue to be panting/grunting along in 'manual' mode behind her if this happens.

7. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

This is my kind of electric bike

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

^^^^ that is insane! It is so freaky without the sound. Nothing but the whirrrr !

9. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I’m an avid cyclist and I’m a fan. Fastest growing segment of the bike industry. I see more and more commuters on them instead of in cars and that’s a good thing. I use one to go to work, 16 miles each way. I still pedal but it shaves a good 15-20 minutes off each way, and I don’t have to work so hard so I can do it more often without burning out. I built it myself, modding a hardtail mtb with a mid-drive kit from Luna Cycles. Most cyclists I know think they’re a great addition to their arsenal. It also works great for towing my 75 pound son on his 23 pound trail-a-bike up hills.

Most are set up as pedal assist and you can adjust the level of assist. Pedal more and use less juice to get more range. Get a great workout but go a bit faster and see more country. Nothing wrong with that IMO.

10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I might just as soon take apart a chainsaw and mount that on a mountain bike.
    But a motorized bicycle that doesn't need to be registered and I can lift and carry sounds interesting.
    I've thought about this some over the years, and have lots of bikes, parts and tools, so it may be in the cards.
    But I'm also looking for a street legal dirt bike, which is more my preference at this point.
    For the price of an e bike I can get an actual motorcycle that needs some work.
    There are literally tons of motorcycles under $500 that could be back on the road for $100 in parts.

Electric isn't attractive, but silent has an upside.
    If it didn't do something cool like go fast I think I'd be embarrassed to be seen on an e bike.
    When I start lookin' like an old duffer maybe I'll get over that and be proud of the fact that I can still stand up to climb onto the thing.

Chunkocaster likes this.
  11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I like the idea of them, if they come out with an affordable cool looking version that does around 60mph - 100kph i'd be down for one.
    It would save me a small fortune on daily trips to the store.
    They would also be very handy in case of car breakdowns, accidents or loss of license.
    Unfortunately the gov here will probably licence them and link them to car licences leaving people unable to commute and earn a living if for whatever reason they loose their license.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    telemnemonics likes this.
  12. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I love um’

I carted my two granddaughters all over Santa Cruz when we lived down close to the lighthouse, all flat.

We moved up the hill and the base of the hill has a monster 18% grade for about 100 yards. I raced road bicycles back in the day and still ride 100+ a week with the club and climbed many grades like that, but not on a cargo bike carrying two extra people. I installed a 750 W direct drive assist. Great fun.

The kids got older and started riding their own bikes so I sold it to another family with two young kids.

My grandkids
    201EA2A9-A12F-4F04-B452-7F8866210785.jpeg

Where we rode almost every day
    B5FD11DA-0377-4DC0-8751-873270E9559D.jpeg

13. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Tele-Meister

I've owned one for about a month now. Love it! What I've been surprised about is how much of a workout you get from riding one. I typically ride about 25 miles at a shot over gravel/dirt forest roads and after a ride my legs are fairly beat. I use the lowest level of pedal assist available on my bike. I've lost a decent amount of weight from my riding and definatly feel more fit.

For me an ebike gives me the usual fitness benefits of biking but allows me to cover more distance and take in more of the scenery along the way since I'm no longer half dying, sweating to death and wheezing when climbing steep hills.

Yes I could totally cheat and ride the thing like a moped (using the highest level of pedal assist and/or the throttle) but that kills the battery pretty quick, limits range, and eliminates most or all of the physical fitness benefits so I typically don't do it. Well maybe on rare occasions just for fun! Oh and the motor is pretty much silent...no whirring.

And I now use my bike for some trips that I previously used my car for...better for the evironment and traffic.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
    Alamo, rad1 and Chunkocaster like this.
  14. Garruchal

Garruchal Tele-Meister

I still don't have one. I cover about 100 miles a week commuting on my street bike. Keeps me fit. First off: ebikes are going to make public awareness of all biking better, and improve routes, laws, and safety. Second: I'm going to get one for all the times that I would normally take a car: too tired or too many hills or too late. Third: this city has traffic problems. Ebikes are solving part of that noticeably. I'll still try to pass you on my non-electric bike, just to see if I can, but this train is not turning around.

Alamo, rad1, chris m. and 1 other person like this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I am not sure how they will improve safety unless the cities provide more bike lanes. Right now, they are not legal on sidewalks so they must be on the road with motor vehicles. They make no sound, no driver's license required, no helmet required, no insurance required. That does not sound like a safe situation to me. At least that is the way they are being dealt with around here.

Our real scurge of the roads are those freaking golf carts that so many are now using as transportation around town. These idiots have issues. My little town has over 42 golf carts that cruise all over the city every day. The city council finally requred them to be licensed but that doesn't change anything. They have been a menace to motorists and pedestrians for years.

16. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Share the road. Once upon a time cars were the new vehicles, annoying horse carriages and bicycles. In rural areas people learn to deal with tractors and backhoes. The vehicles aren’t dangerous per se, it’s impatient and inattentive drivers of all manner of vehicles that are the problem. At least e-bikes and e-scooters are small and light so they get hurt as much or more than anyone else if they mess up. Vs. big trucks and SUVs which barely even spill coffee while turning someone into a pancake.

17. fraser

fraser Tele-Holic

I quit driving a car about 15 yrs ago.
    I rode to work on a regular bike,
    And a number of overweight co workers didn’t get it.
    They’d say, why not get one of those ebikes?

At the time, I wasn’t a bike rider, just a guy riding a bike to work and back.
    Getting a bit of a work out in the process.

4 years ago I was diagnosed with some pretty messed up back problems.
    I can no longer work, and walking is often not possible.

I took to the bicycle as a means of excercise and recreation at that point,
    As well as my transportation.

I can see an ebike in my future,
    Just not yet.
    I know that one day it will be perfect, as my condition worsens.

For now, I can get anywhere I need to go on a regular mountain bike,
    Though I do need to collect parts and piece them together in odd ways to make the bikes as pain free to ride as possible.

It’s funny, I’ve rode 100 km, got off the bike, used a cane to walk to appointments etc,
    Then jumped on the bike and rode another 100 Km home.

But ya, I think ebikes are a great option.

Alamo and telemnemonics like this.
  18. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

People in SF, & the rest of the Bay, are pissed at everything anyway. These articles are just to whip everybody into a lather. I will say, those scooter companies (Lime) seemed to have dumped those things everywhere. In my town it seemed the city officials weren't even aware that they were about to be inundated with those things. I was out of town when it happened, & by the time I got back every scooter had been gathered up & warehoused. I haven't seen any since.

Anyway... ebikes. I have no need, but maybe will one day. I've been pedaling since '79 as my choice of transportation & sport. It's too much fun & the exercise component is always a priority to ME.

As with everything, it's the irresponsible arses that give 'em a bad rap.

Milspec likes this.
  19. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh Great Harley Davidson person in the sky, make millions of them, millions, make them popular, like locust on the land. Wait, what will they use to make all that racket with? Never mind.

Scooter91 likes this.
  20. DugT

DugT Tele-Holic

That is a great viewpoint of Santa Cruz and Steamer Lane. I can smell the pot from here!

rad1 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.