E and B intonation

JIMMY JAZZMAN

Tele-Afflicted
Make sure the screws holding the bridge down to the guitar are down all the way. This happened to me and after I tightened
up, everything was better.

c4ntaro_sinf0nico

TDPRI Member
Indeed, that's the one flaw in the Pythagorean formula for tuning intervals.

OT: 99% of the guitars are fretted and tuned according to (12-tone) equal temperament, not pythagorean tuning.

About the topic, I think the bridge model that comes with G&L ASAT Classic guitars is the best ever: 6 beautiful brass saddles for great tele look and sound, without compromising intonation.

IMG_9442d_720x.jpg

Otherwise, you can experiment with "stretched" tunings like James Taylor do (as acoustic guitars have little to zero compensation).

yegbert

Poster Extraordinaire
OT: 99% of the guitars are fretted and tuned according to (12-tone) equal temperament, not pythagorean tuning.

About the topic, I think the bridge model that comes with G&L ASAT Classic guitars is the best ever: 6 beautiful brass saddles for great tele look and sound, without compromising intonation.

IMG_9442d_720x.jpg

Otherwise, you can experiment with "stretched" tunings like James Taylor do (as acoustic guitars have little to zero compensation).
That type (6 barrel-shaped) aren't especially popular among some tele lovers here. But I get along with them okay myself, and I think Leo got it right twice with them. Those G&L brass ones and the Fender steel ones are made with a better combined placement of the three screw holes (the 1 long mounting-/intonation-adjusting screw, and 2 height-adjusting set screws) and the string groove. There are some similar ones on eBay that aren’t as accurate, I found out that they can result in the guitar strings pushing against the intonation screw and (I believe) tilting the saddles. I bought an Asian made set on eBay for the brass (saddles, screws, and springs) but found they didn’t fit as good as my Fenders, then I bought G&L brass ones and found them better. I scrounged the brass screws and springs from the eBay ones though (for aesthetics), so all wasn’t lost!

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's

IMG_9442d_720x.jpg

My mistake; you're quite correct. Thanks for putting me straight.

c4ntaro_sinf0nico

TDPRI Member
That type (6 barrel-shaped) aren't especially popular among some tele lovers here. But I get along with them okay myself, and I think Leo got it right twice with them. Those G&L brass ones and the Fender steel ones are made with a better combined placement of the three screw holes (the 1 long mounting-/intonation-adjusting screw, and 2 height-adjusting set screws) and the string groove. There are some similar ones on eBay that aren’t as accurate, I found out that they can result in the guitar strings pushing against the intonation screw and (I believe) tilting the saddles. I bought an Asian made set on eBay for the brass (saddles, screws, and springs) but found they didn’t fit as good as my Fenders, then I bought G&L brass ones and found them better. I scrounged the brass screws and springs from the eBay ones though (for aesthetics), so all wasn’t lost!

Yep, purists are everywhere. And that's okay as long as they don't ever try to mess with my preferences or those of other people. I'm a pragmatic person and I think life is all about compromises. I love teles as much as good intonation, and those G&L-style bridges are the best compromise between classic tele style and modern tweakability I've found. At the end of the day, what really matters is that you're comfortable with your instrument to enjoy making music. :cool:

My mistake; you're quite correct. Thanks for putting me straight.

No problem, my friend. Errare humanum est. :)

AndrewG

Friend of Leo's
Yep, purists are everywhere. And that's okay as long as they don't ever try to mess with my preferences or those of other people. I'm a pragmatic person and I think life is all about compromises. I love teles as much as good intonation, and those G&L-style bridges are the best compromise between classic tele style and modern tweakability I've found. At the end of the day, what really matters is that you're comfortable with your instrument to enjoy making music. :cool:

No problem, my friend. Errare humanum est. :)
Ignoscere divina