Dyson vacuum fans - now I get it.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My wife got the Dyson COSTCO has or had on sale. Now I better get why people like them and do that spend. Some alternatives did not last. One of the kids trashed our Miele that was really good but it had a cord so some outdoor, car and some cleaning was not so easy. I will trust they have parts some cheaper ones didn't have even if there are quality issues.

It is not perfect. It fills fast compared to a bag or other types but it seems to make less mess emptying it.

The overall interesting thing is that an easy to handle cordless that can vacuum the whole house and move to a car or other stuff being superior to small cordless units.

P.S. My wife stews and I can only chuckle that our really nice Miele was wrecked by the now college engineering student using it like a shop/wet vac. My brain goes to things that could be wrecked by a teen that would be much worse.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
Every cordless thing I have ever had has failed early. Including Makita. I sure would like a cordless vacuum though.

It's amazing how bad these things are designed for the user.
My current Sanitaire vac, which replaced a Hoover Dog Hair special, is a POS.

I thought buying a commercial name would be good, but the ergonomics of using this thing are terrible! It's just a crude device made by the sam company who makes Eureka etc! For more $ you get unuseable ergonomics!

Sanitaire:
-To use the hose you have to pull it out of the vaccum by force, it's just a tapered tube jammed into a tube! My previous Electrolux/Eureka had a latch that was easy to release with your toe.
-To open the bag compartment, same thing! You pull very hard and bang, it opens! It seems you are going to crack the plastic to get it open.
-The switch is no where near your hand.
-The tube extensions and fittings are different size than all other vacs out there!
-There is no way to lift the vacuum if you want to lift it onto a higher area, no handle or notch in the body to grab.

ChicknPickn

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Manufacturers of cordless equipment love designs that aren't customer serviceable, as in, no "battery hatch." Thinking especially of "Dustbusters," which unnecessarily are made to be disposable appliances.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I had a Kirby salesman here once, years back, demonstrating his wares.
When it came time for the actual pitch, I jokingly told him "You know, there's a local business that offers topless housecleaning services....do you know how much topless housecleaning I could get for that much money?"

He offered to take his shirt off 😐

Tarkus60

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
I have a cordless dyson..I love it. Best vacuum I have ever owned.
I am a clean freak, so I do the house cleaning.

MyLittleEye

Tele-Meister
I now avoid anything with integrated rechargeable batteries that can't be replaced.
My wireless 1/4" guitar/amp transmitter was great while it lasted ...about 18 months!
Find me something with AA or AAA's I can swap out; they do lithium rechargeable versions now.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
When it came time for the actual pitch, I jokingly told him "You know, there's a local business that offers topless housecleaning services....do you know how much topless housecleaning I could get for that much money?"

I hope Cynthia doesn't find out about this!

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Dunno - my wife bought one of these. Feels cheap and plasticky. Every thing feels loose and all the latches are flimsy. Like my $100 Hoover better.

334176-01.png

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Dunno - my wife bought one of these. Feels cheap and plasticky. Every thing feels loose and all the latches are flimsy. Like my $100 Hoover better.

334176-01.png
We have the can/stick cordless type. Pretty much everything seems cheap if not my decades old Craftsman/ShopVac that is big, crude and loud. I hope our assumption of better parts availability works out as true.

Boomhauer

Friend of Leo's

334176-01.png
My wife's grandma had about a dozen vacuums around the house - ALL of the infomercial/TV gizmos and gadgets, including a Dyson like that. It's a good vacuum, don't get me wrong, but our Shark upright is just as good.

You're entirely right though - it feels cheap. The whole handle section creaks and groans when you use it. Not exactly confidence inspiring.

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a cheap Hoover Wind Tunnel I bought at Walmart for about $55 two years ago. It's not cordless or bagless, but it works fine. Maybe when it burns out, I'll buy something better, but who knows.

fjblair

Tele-Afflicted
My experience is that they are overhyped and overpriced, and I've owned three. The Shark I have now is better than any Dyson I have ever owned.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
I like Dyson. Are they expensive for what they are? Yes. But they are light in weight and they really do seem to outperform every other brand I've owned (Kirby, Hoover, Bissel, Dirt Devil). The only issue with them is the lightweight plastic construction: they are not very robust and pretty much impossible to repair if you break a part.

If an old Kirby or Hoover falls down the stairs, it will be fine but your walls will not. If a Dyson falls down the stairs, something on it will break. So long as you treat a Dyson gently and don't suck up nuts and bolts with it, it will last for many years.

[...]

I'm thinking he was not there to sell a Kirby--if you know what I'm sayin'.

And I think you do.

:oops:

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My experience is that they are overhyped and overpriced, and I've owned three. The Shark I have now is better than any Dyson I have ever owned.
It took a really good price and poor experiences with recommended alternatives. Time will tell - this was a decision my wife made. It seems more powerful than others she tried.

The Miele was expensive and we can't fault it for what the teenager did.

blowtorch

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I'm thinking he was not there to sell a Kirby--if you know what I'm sayin'.

And I think you do.

:oops:
:D
he took the joke in the spirit it was offered.
i had zero intention of buying his machine, but if he wanted to clean my carpet for free (except for a sales pitch) I was fine with that

Blrfl

Friend of Leo's
Our Dyson Animal is now old enough to drink and is still going strong. I've had to replace the hose and one of the attachments.

Mrs. Blrfl managed to snag their hair dryer on reward points from someplace she shops (they've since closed that loophole) and she says it's fantastic. Like the vacuum, parts of it come apart for cleaning, which I think helps with longevity.

RobRiggs

Tele-Afflicted
My wife and I used to own a janitorial and cleaning business. A legacy of that was a small fleet of Oreck commercial vacuums. Excellent, robust vacs. that you can get parts for. They were spendy for the time, around $400.00, but tough and powerful.

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
Ha! I was going to start a vacuum cleaner thread this morning but thought there wouldn't be any interest lol. I'm the resident vacuum cleaner user in my house and after going through Dyson, Dirt Devil and most of the other big names I finally sat down and actually watched some reviews on Youtube. I settled on a Shark Navigator. Less than $250. Keep in mind I have a white German Shepherd that sheds a whole new dog every day. Not much of an exaggeration there. 6 months in and I'm still very happy with the unit. Best part is it actually picks up the dog hair without going over the area multiple times.

Screen Shot 2022-10-16 at 12.56.10 PM.png