1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dyno opinion?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Wallaby, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Ever since I read a few posts here at TDPRI about Dyno pickups I've been, shall we say, intrigued about how a set might sound in my Gibson Memphis ES-339.

The ES-339 came stock with 57 Classics, which are not currently installed in the guitar. IMO they are too dark and muted. I am currently using Antiquity humbuckers and they're really nice, but the Dynos, they call out to me... :)

The two pickups I'm considering are the Duncan Dyno's and the TV-Jones T-Armond.

Mounting options are confusing me a bit, I can see that with the T-Armond TV Jones offers the "English Mount" option, which seem to be mounting rings that fit a standard humbucker route but are designed for the dimensionally smaller Dynos. Seymour Duncan doesn't offer mounting guidance, or at least I missed finding those details.

I guess my questions are -

- Duncan Dynos or T-Armonds ?

- Can Duncan Dynos be fitted using the TV Jones English mounting rings?

From some head-to-head video I've found I am leaning towards the Duncans, but it's not certain by any means. They both sound pretty great to me!

Your guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I think I found my answer by looking at the photos SD & TVJ provide.

The Duncan Dyno looks the same as TV Jones "DeArmond" mount.

The TV Jones "English" mount looks similar to any humbucker base, or the Duncan Dynobucker.

So for SD Dyno-style pickups, Dynobucker is the choice if fitting into a guitar routed for standard humbuckers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.