1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dynasonic / Buzzing when touching the pickups case

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by EsquireBoy, Nov 25, 2020.

1. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Tele-Afflicted

Hi all,

I posted the same question on the Gretsch forum a week ago, but haven’t got any answer yet.

On my Dynasonic equipped 6120, I’ve noticed that I’ve got an electrical buzzing when I touch the metal case around the pickups.
    It’s not very loud but it’s audible, and it does that on both pickups (but only when the pickup is active and the volume is on).

Otherwise no buzz at all, and the strings are properly grounded through the tailpiece.
    It’s not a big deal, but because I like to anchor my pinky onto the bridge pickup (many years of playing teles and anchoring it on the bridge lip :rolleyes:), it’s a bit annoying sometimes.

Does someone have a clue what it’s coming from?

2. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

The metal cases for Dynasonics are usually not grounded, you could benefit by adding a wire from the case of each pickup a ground point in the guitar. That might solve the problem.

I would check with a multimeter to see if they are grounded first, and if not I would temporarily clip on a wire from the case to a ground to see if it solves the problem.

3. EsquireBoy

Thanks a lot for your advice. I’m pretty sure that’s the problem.
    I’m going to test that, but if it is, I’m not sure I’ll go through the hassle of fishing the harness out of the guitar to solder the ground wires though... Unless there is an easy way to do it that I cannot think of right now?

4. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

i noticed something similar with some pickups when i was going through loads and trying them in my tele neck position.(strat type pickups)..some do some dont...it is a grounding issue..as has been said
    you could do it by adding grounding to the covers...bit of a tit on with hollow bodies...if it was like it new i would be taking it back and put the responsibility onto them....its another case of supplying faulty goods because no one complains...if it was a kitchen appliance or a car you would be straight on the phone shouting and growling at them
    i know i would...i got a free guitar by complaining

5. EsquireBoy

I guess they were never grounded since the 50s, so with a vintage spec’ed instrument it seems hard to really complain, even though it would be a nice modification indeed.

Wulf likes this.
  6. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

then im afraid its something you may have to live with...but it is annoying when things buzz when you know deep down they shouldnt

EsquireBoy likes this.
  7. Suproman

Suproman Tele-Meister

Yes, that's always tricky. I would try to attach the ground wires to the pot closest to the F-hole, you may be able to get it out without having to take out the whole wiring harness. Or maybe try to access the wire that grounds the bridge, usually at the tailpiece near the strap button. You would have to unscrew the Bigsby, and run a second wire from there to the pickups.

somebodyelseuk, EsquireBoy and Wulf like this.
  8. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

ive heard a lot off bass players moan about this too...many use clear nailvarnish or something similar to stop them touching metal...that could be another possible solution
    old guitars were noisier in general ...old amps were less sensitive than modern stuff too...which would make odd noises less noticeable...a lot of modern gear is too clinical and sensitive to outside noises

EsquireBoy likes this.
  9. EsquireBoy

@Wulf @Suproman Thank you guys.
    I’ve just checked. Not even needed to take my multimeter out: if I touch the pickup case while my hand is touching the strings or another grounded metal part, there is no buzzing. That confirms the cases are not grounded, and that grounding them would solve the issue.

Good idea to run a ground wire from the pickup cases to the tailpiece: it would be a long one, but at least I would not need to go fishing. I’ll try that next time I change my strings (which, with the Thomastik flats I use, should not happen before springtime :rolleyes:).

Wulf likes this.
  10. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

No prob mate...anything to help a frustrated bud!!

EsquireBoy likes this.
  11. EsquireBoy

I’ve known far worse with gear related frustration, believe me...

Wulf likes this.
  12. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

so have i my friend...so have i
    had an amp that kept dying...then get it fixed...then it would go pop again....usually halfway through a gig...always took a backup luckily enough...but that old thing...lovely sounding and as reliable as a £1 watch
    nearly put a Daneaxe through it on more than one occasion

EsquireBoy likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

You don’t need to get to the pots to ground the covers.
    Each pickup has one wire going to hot and the other wire going to ground.
    Just pull out each pickup and figure out which is the negative/ ground wire and solder that right to the base which is soldered to the cover.
    Might be tricky if the wire coming out from under the cover is one insulated wire so you can’t see the two conductors.
    Gretsch has made many versions of that pickup not all the same, but it’s probably got a coaxial wire with the ground on the outside, so you could just gently slice off a little jacket and solder a grind wire to the braided shield.

Suproman and EsquireBoy like this.
  14. EsquireBoy

They’re always the best ones.

Wulf likes this.
  15. Wulf

Wulf Tele-Afflicted

thats why i put the Daneaxe down at the last moment...then got it fixed properly...instead of patched up enough for the next gig
    but for that moment.....grrr...BerserkerWulf

EsquireBoy likes this.
  16. EsquireBoy

Thanks for the tip! I was actually thinking about connecting the case to the pickup ground, but even though I’m not too bad at soldering, I’m not sure I would take a chance to ruin the pickup. I’ll check how it is designed next time I change out the strings.

17. telemnemonics

Older dynasonics often have a metal base plate but the newest does not, so you’d need to solder or secure the ground wire to the flange. They have an obvious ground and hot lead though.

18. EsquireBoy

A friend of mine had a colleague who always kept a machete under the seat of his car. I’m sure he had more than one occasion to grab for it, but hopefully he got wise enough to put it down at the last moment. Not entirely sure though.

Wulf likes this.
  19. telemnemonics

What year is the 6120?

Some have a handy tab on the base holding the wire against tugging.
    It’s possible to use one of those little washers with a solder tab you just sandwich between body and pickup flange with your ground soldered to the washer tab, if the pickup has none.

EsquireBoy likes this.
  20. EsquireBoy

Mine is from 2011, I’ll see how it looks and will eventually figure out the best way to do it in the least invasive manner.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.