Dynamic Vocal Mic Recs?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Ecadad, Sep 19, 2019.

1. Ecadad

Ecadad Tele-Holic

I've always used an SM57 or SM58 on vocals, unless I'm using a condenser. I'm moving so I'll be setting up a new recording space and I have some extra money to try a new dynamic mic. What do you recommend?

Looking for something around $100, new or used are both solid options.

So outside of Shure Sm57 and SM58, what's worth a try?

(Or should I just stay content with my Shure gear?)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  2. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

I have an Audix and a Sennheiser that are very good dynamic vocal mics. Can't remember the models.

3. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

The EV N/D 967 is my all time favorite but not made any more. Its been replaced by the N/D 96, but I've not had a chance to use one. Retails @ $199

4. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Sennheiser hands down. On a budget the E835 or E838 (discontinued) are great.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  5. Frontier9

Frontier9 Friend of Leo's

The Electro-Voice EV N/D767a Dynamic Super Cardioid mic is my favorite - like the N/D967, it's also not in production anymore, but trending on eBay for around $70 -$80.

scelestus and 6stringcowboy like this.
  6. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

Hard to go wrong with a Heil PR20/22, or PR-30/35 for a few more bucks.

7. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Is the Sennheiser 421 any good for vocals? I bought one some years ago not knowing what it was.a

8. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

EV RE16, RE11, and 635 (Omni) are killers.

9. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Wally, from what I'm seeing, the 421 typically finds more use for micing drum kits and amps, due to it's ability to handle higher sound pressure levels. Looking at it frequency response chart, it stays really flat in the range of male voices, but is less "accurate" above 1k, where more female voices reside as opposed to male singers. There are probably more experienced sound folks here who could address this more completely. Here's a few reviews:
    https://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/675333-sennheiser-md421.html

...and with it's +$300 price tag (new), doesn't really fit the OP's budget; I'd agree with the other Sennheiser 835 and the EV recommendations above - though I might be biased, as those are the two mics I have for my own live vocals.

10. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

yes, it is expensive new...$379.95. I got one in as new shape for a small portion of that. Lucky I am. Thanks for the feedback. All I know is that I have a young friend who has opened a new studio. He really wants this one. I’m a loudmouth, so it might work for me?!?!? Eeehhhaw....

11. kiwi blue

kiwi blue Tele-Afflicted

I have the Heil PR35. It is a very good mic, but expensive. I have a few old AKGs that I like just as much, especially the D880, which I like even better than the Heil. I bought the AKGs used for a fraction of the price of the Heil. All of them are much better than a 58 on my voice (a baritone) in my humble-opinion-which-may-differ-from-yours yada yada yada.

12. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

They can be, yes. In fact, they were designed for broadcast announcer use- the little ring around the top of the XLR connector is a variable bass rolloff to compensate for proximity effect because announcers work their mics very close. I do like them better on guitar cabs and toms, but with the right voice they sound great.

Dagnabbit, don't be lettin' the secret out!

Whatever you folks do, DON'T buy any RE10/11/15/16/635 mics you find in pawnshops for $20- they're terrible, and should be referred to a qualified technician like me for disposal.

Wally and WireLine like this.
  13. TequilaCaster

TequilaCaster Tele-Holic

A Lewitt MTP-550-DM is a current new-technology top-of-the-line-sound dynamic mic... $120.
    Lewitt is an Austrian company that formed out of the remains of AKG after they got bought out by Harman.

Check out some of the sound clips...
    https://www.lewitt-audio.com/microphones/mtp-live/mtp-550-dm

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019
  14. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My experience with vocal mics is mostly live, rather than in the studio. I've used SM57 and SM58 for years, and more recently Sennheiser e835 and e840.

These discussions invariably included a lot of black/white statements that one mic is better than another (or even ALL others). Don't buy mics based on such pronouncements. Microphones, perhaps more than any other piece of gear, can be either good or bad, depending on the voice or instrument on which they're being used, and on the environment in which their being used.

I see a lot of people saying the e835 is better than the SM58. Such comparisons are unavoidable: the e835 is an affordable vocal mic aimed squarely at the market the SM58 has dominated for 50 years. The first time I tried an e835, I immediately thought it was "better" but over time I realized it was just "different". The e835 is a bit brighter than the SM58. It boosts the upper mids a bit, making it cut through better. Some people may like that, I've read others refer to the e835 as "nasal".

This is just an example. The point is, having different mics around is a good thing, but you really need to try 'em and find out what works for you, and for the other folks who may come through your studio.

The Shure SM57 & 58 an both make really good recordings. A couple years ago, I had an old 4-track cassette demo from the '80s ripped to digital and remixed in in Reaper. When I first got the stems loaded up and listened to them, I was amazed at the detail and clarity we captured using the most basic gear. The band had two singers, and due to the limited track count, we put them both on the same track, singing together. The rig was simply a pair of SM58s, pointed in opposite directions, with the girls facing each other as they sang. Those old '58s did just fine.

15. Rich_S

Speaking of Sennheiser, has anybody here ever tried an e906 on vocals? I know it's intended for instruments, but its wide (and adjustable) response seems as though it would be good for other stuff, too. The one limitation might be sensitivity; since it's designed for high SPLs it might require extra gain when used on vocals.

James Murphy of LCD Soundsystem uses an old MD409 U3 live, and the e906 is supposed to be the modern incarnation. Online shootouts indicate that the 906 is close, but not exact.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  16. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I'm a baritone and like the Sennheiser e935.

RyCo1983 likes this.
  17. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Sennheiser fan here.
    I have 3 E835s, 1 E935, and 2 E945s for live use.
    New 835 or used of either of the others to mix it up from the Shure sound.

18. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I have a nice old AKG I like to sing into. I'd buy an EV Re20 . The Sennheiser E609 is a really good one to have.

19. Rich_S

How do you find the 835 and 935 compare? IIRC, they are both cardioids, at the “good” and “better” price points. I believe the 945 is a super- or hyper-cardioid and therefore a slightly different beastie. Does it sound the same as the 935, just with a tighter pattern?

20. scelestus

scelestus Tele-Meister

I have a 609 that I've tested out. Not bad at all and worth a try!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.