1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dyna Comp clone

Discussion in 'Burnt Fingers DIY Effects' started by zippofan, Feb 15, 2021.

1. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

On a whim I ordered a couple of PCB's from Guitar-Electronics.EU last month, they have a number of kits/PCBs and their compressors interested me. I picked up a THAT 4301 based circuit since it wasn't familiar, and a Dyna Comp board. I just gave an old friend my modified Ross build, a Mammoth MORC kit, after he auditioned a few different kinds. He liked the Dead End Engineer's Thumb too, but he said there were too many knobs for a gig lol. I could always use another Dyna Comp so I ordered it with the THAT board.

I figured it would take awhile to come from Poland, it was right after the holidays and the post office was still catching up, and the boards arrived last week. I figured I'd give this to my son, I haven't built a pedal for him since he graduated college and moved across the country last year. He has a Boss CS-3, but has never played with a Dyna Comp.

The boards are basic but the layout was easy to follow, and I had most of the parts. I just needed a nice red Hammond 1590B, and a CA3080 chip. Thankfully they're being made again, though I see most OTA compressors are using the LM13700 like my Engineer's Thumb. The build docs are also basic, but were all I needed. I stuffed the board last week and finished up the wiring today.

DynaComp inside.JPG DynaComp top.JPG

No decal for now, I told my son he's got an IOU for one when we see him again this year. I figured a red pedal with two knobs might be obvious, turn the knobs until he likes what he hears, easy! It sounds good, not too noisy, pretty much just like my Whirlwind Red Box.

An enjoyable build, and my in-laws got a chuckle too, they came from Poland to the US after WWII.
    Check them out, no affiliation, just a satisfied customer: https://guitar-electronics.eu/

BobTheOwl, Iago and SbS like this.
  2. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Did a little lettering on the Dyna Comp clone before I send it off to my son. I found some nice MXR style knobs at Small Bear too. The THAT compressor built is at the wiring stage, I am really curious as to how this will work.

DynaTopLettered.jpg THATconstructiontop.jpg THATconstructionwiresLG.png

BobTheOwl likes this.
  3. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

The Dyna Comp arrived at my son's, he's happy, and I completed the THAT comp build, and I'm over the moon happy. This box is awesome, the best sounding compressor I've built yet. Super quiet, clean, and subtle to squish. I was getting worried as I was wiring all the pots and switches, so many flying leads to keep track of, and I didn't leave myself much slack on any of them as you can see from the input pad switch wiring across the top.

THAT comp guts.jpg THAT comp top ND.jpg

I used a template from the Rullywow Queen of Bone OD and didn't get it perfectly straight, but it's ok as it sounds fantastic. The second LED (left) is the compression indicator.

4. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Nice work sir.

zippofan likes this.
  5. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

After almost a month, I got a decal on this compressor, and had quite a bit of fun playing through it with my "Prinz" Tele. Everything from subtle gain riding, to peak limiting, to super squashed, it sounds great. Turn up the gain with no input pad and it's a clean boost to overdrive too.

THAT complete.jpg

Not a very catchy name, but I thought it looked cool with that font, and it is what it is :D Guitar-electronics.eu has faceplates available and they call it "Ultra Compressor". I also found another DIY project around this chip from Schalltechnik 04 in Germany called the Pumpernickle. It's a 125B for a more pedalboard friendly box and available from Das Musikding or direct from Schalltechnik. Really a fun build!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.