Dylan does " Brown Sugar "....

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by rjtwangs, Jun 24, 2019.

1. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow; you just never know what to expect from that guy. I really liked the band. Still one of the all-time greatest songs.

Georox and rjtwangs like this.
  2. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Aside from the incredibly ignorant and racist comments in this thread Bob Dylan was married to Carolyn Dennis and they have a child together. I'll never get the jabs people throw around with regard to race, creed and sexual orientation on a board where RSOs like DocJeffery and Steven GC Coates are accepted.

This is his daughter on the right.

Stay classy TDPRI.

[​IMG]

Upstanding TDPRI member makes his television debut.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
    backporchmusic and rjtwangs like this.
  3. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

I think Dylan's ex-wife is exactly who at least one deleted comment was referring to. I didn't detect anything "racist" about the comment I saw—I think you are being too sensitive and trigger happy in reporting people *if* that's what you did.

That comment basically said something along the lines of, "Dylan knows that brown sugar tastes good." You do know what the song is about, right? I read that comment as a positive affirming one, not a racist, bigoted, or ignorant statement. Nothing disapproving or negative was said, at least not what I saw in this thread.

BTW—I'm married to a woman who is brown as a berry, and darker than Carolyn Dennis. Just so you know...I'm in an interracial marriage. Please don't accuse me or anyone else here of "racism" unless you can back it up with evidence of racism.

Georox, jrblue, StrangerNY and 4 others like this.
  4. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

I heard that version awhile ago. The weird one is the Stones outtake version with Clapton playing leads:

kookaburra likes this.
  5. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Speaking of deleted comments, where do they go? Do they just get removed from the thread altogether, or do they show up where the content says "DELETED" or something like that?

6. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Modded comments are completely removed. I'm guessing he reported the comment in question to a moderator, who deleted it. Sheesh. Some people on this board are so touchy.

Again, nothing hateful was said, the person just quoted the lyrics to the song. Apparently quoting the lyrical content of the Stones' songs is enough to get a comment banned now.

theprofessor likes this.
  7. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Interesting. I didn't notice a break in the numbering sequence of posts, so I guess that means that the subsequent post was re-numbered to take the place of the deleted comment, and the same is true for all that follow. It is as if the comment were never there. I realize this is beside the point you are making at the moment, which I actually agree with, but from the perspective of the history of information, I find it very troublesome that people on the Internet simply make things as if they never were. There are powerful and scary precedents for this kind of tact in world history, not least in the 20th century. And even if one agrees with the sentiment that X should be censored in some way, what happens when other things started getting censored in a similar manner?

ravindave_3600 and Jim622 like this.
  8. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

That was fun!

Is the bass player the same guy that was on bass with GE Smith in the SNL band?

9. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

Yes, that's right. It's down to good design. The better way to do it, and the way modern web software works, is that when a comment on social media is removed there will be a message along the lines of:

This comment was removed by a moderator.

That way, everyone knows there was a comment there originally, and if there are replies to the
    comment then it's obvious what happened to users who show up later. TDPRI uses older bulletin board-style software to run this forum that doesn't have that functionality.

10. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

mistake

11. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Keep it up professor you can be erased too.

theprofessor likes this.
  12. bluemud928

bluemud928 Tele-Meister

larry campbell was amazing gigging with dylan. played steel, mandolin, acoustic, even some keys, with astounding virtuosity. sexton stuck to guitars, the majority of time with a godin radiator

13. wyclif

wyclif Tele-Afflicted

No, not the same bass player. It's easy to get them mixed up because they both wear a similar style hat and play a similar kind of bass. To add to the confusion, the G.E. Smith band did back Dylan on a few tours.

The bass player in the G.E. Smith-era SNL band was Tom "T-Bone" Wolk.

Bob Dylan's longtime bass player is Tony Garnier, who incidentally has been with him longer than any other sideman.

StrangerNY and kookaburra like this.
  14. kookaburra

Thanks!

Great Quine quote, btw...

rjtwangs likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Hard to figure why a guy with a multitude of great songs does covers like that. Especially when it's a bit like your average bar band style and nothing unique. But once Bob went electric he's been very hard to figure anyway!
    It's almost like he never got to do the bar cover thing like so many of us so went back to experience it!

RoscoeElegante and rjtwangs like this.
  16. kookaburra

I've always enjoyed that version, packs a raw kick!

rjtwangs likes this.
  17. Tidepoolbay

Tidepoolbay Friend of Leo's

Nice!

18. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

He did a cover of 'Learning to Fly' when Petty passed away. Did a pretty good version of it, too.

He's been known to sneak a lot of covers into his shows. It's part of the fun of seeing him nowadays.

- D

Georox, nojazzhere and rjtwangs like this.
  19. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

Bob has earned the right to do a bit of karaoke in his set if he likes, I reckon.

Georox, RoscoeElegante and rjtwangs like this.
  20. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

He did play with Tom in the Traveling Wilburys.....AND Learning to Fly sounds like a Wilburys' song.

Georox and rjtwangs like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.