Dyed Danish Oil

jkrattenmaker

TDPRI Member
In experimenting with dying Danish Oil last night I wound up with a color I really like that I'd like to move forward with. Given that I added dye to the Danish Oil do I need to treat it at all to lock in the color before I move forward with lacquer or poly? Specifically, do I need to apply some sanding sealer to preserve the color? I want to make sure to retain the color for sure. I really like the look and would like to preserve it as much as possible. Thanks!

bparnell57

Poster Extraordinaire
I have a birch desk I did in Watco Danish Oil finish (dark walnut) and it has not needed a top coat. They advertise it as having varnish mixed in. Not sure of the specifics.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Danish oil is not a topcoat; it is intended to be wiped on, allowed to penetrate the wood, and then be wiped off. You cannot leave the surface of the wood wet and allow the Danish oil to air dry because it will be blotchy and there will be areas of matte surface and gloss surface. And once that happens, you'll have to sand everything back, and that can make the blotchy appearance worse.

Bottom line here is some woods show dye color better than others because they absorb more of the finish, and it stays in the wood after the surface is wiped dry. Some woods absorb very little, so when you wipe the surface dry, you're wiping off most of the color.

There is no need to use an isolator to lock the color of Danish oil, because it's in--not on--the wood.

old wrench

Friend of Leo's
Danish oil is similar to TruOil

I've used Fiebings oil-based leather dye to tint TruOil a few times

The oil-based dye disperses and mixes right into T-O without any separation occurring

The color is in the finish, but it also penetrates into the wood along with the T-O - so, it's there to stay

I got the Fiebings dye from Tandy Leather