dwell/reverb pots- linear or audio

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by texwest, Oct 6, 2019.

1. texwest

texwest TDPRI Member

Hi all, I'm new to the forum but have been working on my amps for a long time and have built a 5e3 and princeton reverb this year.

My new PR is made with no vibrato but used the extra holes for a mid knob and dwell.

I've searched all the web extensively but wondering about the reverb and dwell pots.

Would the dwell work better with a linear pot rather than audio. It seems like a lot of the action is between 10-5 on the dial.

I see a lot of people say to change the reverb pot to audio.

So I'm wondering if any of you have a preferred set up reverb audio/dwell audio or reverb linear/dwell audio or reverb audio/dwell linear, etc.????

I may end up just trying for myself but I have the buss wire on the back of the pots so want to check in first.

2. texwest

texwest TDPRI Member

BTW here's a pic of my build. It works great and is Quiet!

Attached Files:

3. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Meister

The dwell control determines how hard the reverb driver is working. With the dwell set too high, the driver will overdrive and the reverb won't sound good. A linear pot would seem to be best here because you are controlling a level that is for a purpose other than how we perceive sound levels.

The reverb control is all about how we perceive sound levels, so an audio taper would seem best.

texwest likes this.
  4. texwest

texwest TDPRI Member

Thansk for your response. I tend to agree.

I have an 1meg audio dwell pot in it now and it works fine, but it's only really useful between 5-10. Based on this, I think a linear will work better for dwell. It's funny because it's all over the web to use an audio pot for this, except one knowledgeable amp tech who recommends linear.

I think either audio or linear would work for the reverb level, but linear is the original spec for fender blackface amps. The 6g15 reverb unit has both linear in those positions. So I think I am going to try that.

Anyone else who has actually experimented with this? I would love to hear your opinion.

5. Ten Over

Ten Over Tele-Meister

Wow, really? A knowledgeable amp tech agrees with me? I'm honored.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.