1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dusty Hill Style T-bass

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by The Crash Cowboy, Apr 4, 2019.

1. The Crash Cowboy

The Crash Cowboy Tele-Meister

She’ll be Butterscotch Blonde transparent nitro.

chemobrain likes this.
  2. The Crash Cowboy

As I can see on your image, the jack hole will be a little more to the right.

3. The Crash Cowboy

I think the drill angle is good enough to drill directly from the pickup and the bridge to the control cavity. I need to protect the edge of the pickup cavity though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From the jack: that’s a very long distance.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Ekko likes this.
  4. The Crash Cowboy

The last stuff has arrived. Some parts, Z-Poxy filler, and the nitro lacquer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ekko likes this.
  5. The Crash Cowboy

My friend wants a vintage Tele jack socket. I read it’s not easy to install without a (expensive Stewmac ... really ??? $ 22,- to install a jack that costs only a few bucks ???) tool. But I guess some bolts, nuts and spacers will do that job ? If not, I have an Electrosocket jack plate waiting. That just needs 2 screws.

Anybody has experience fitting the vintage Tele jack ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
    Ekko likes this.
  6. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Wishing you well on the drilling. Keep us posted!
    Rex

The Crash Cowboy likes this.
  7. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Trying to get nails, screws and drillbits going to the right place at an angle always makes me nervous.

8. The Crash Cowboy

Me too.

perttime likes this.
  9. The Crash Cowboy

kodiakblair and Ekko like this.
  10. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

11. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

@The Crash Cowboy
    Be really careful drilling those spaces between the pick ups and the cavity. I had a Tele I was going to do the same thing, ended up letting the edge of the bit hit the pick up cut out. Left a nice dimple that was not fixable so a small pick guard had to be used.

One think I have done is drill from the neck pocket, through the pick up cavity into the control cavity. I am not sure your bit is long enough to do that but it sure makes it easier on the angle. Good luck!

kodiakblair and The Crash Cowboy like this.
  12. The Crash Cowboy

I think it’s just a matter of keeping the tool in place and tightening the bolts.

13. TRexF16

TRexF16 Friend of Leo's Vendor Member

Recommend you drill your wiring holes before you install the jack cup. It doesn't matter unless you decide halfway through the hole that you're going to blow out the back, abort that attempt, and decide to drill through the jack hole. If the planned drilling goes fine then it does not matter if the jack cup is in or out. If you abort, you'll be happier if it's out so you can change plans. Drilling from the the neck pocket, as Preacher mentioned, is a common technique with 6-string Teles but it might not work in this case. The neck pocket corner, lower side of the pickup rout, and the control cavity look like they don't quite line up.
    drilling neck PU.jpg
    Drilling from neck pocket.jpg
    Obviously I am worried about this drilling and you seem to be less so, and I hope that's for a good reason because you are holding this body in your hand and can turn it around and visualize stuff and see what I can't. So, put me out of my misery - go ahead and drill the wiring hole you have planned so I can quit worrying that it's not going to work!

Cheers,
    Rex

14. bigguy12321

bigguy12321 Tele-Meister

@The Crash Cowboy Enjoying the build so far. Really like the simple grain and basic controls. And the decision to relic as he goes.

If it's not too late, I noticed that you have enough body wood material left over you could make the electronics cover out of matching wood. That grain is very straight and pretty. And there appears to be a piece from near the same edge.

M79gffs.jpg

If it is the same wood already and my vision is playing tricks on me please ignore this post... Except the compliment portion...:)

Oh and ya. The drilling portion does suck doesn't it. Or at least the planning for it. Either way you go there are pitfalls. Take your time and plan it out. You'll do fine.

a

15. The Crash Cowboy

Test on a piece of plywood with Z-Poxy Resin filler. I sanded the first layer lightly with 400 grit and added a very thin second layer, using an old card.

I will not put it on the guitar yet; first I gotta drill all the holes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ekko likes this.
  16. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

This may be of help; perhaps not. I did a similar but not identical project when converting a Tele guitar body to a Tele bass. (had to move the bridge to the bottom, near the strap button). I needed to get a ground wire to the new bridge location. I used a drill similar to yours and went in through the strap button hole, drilling right up to the pickup cavity. I also drilled straight down where the bridge sits and that hole met up with the long hole up to the pickup. I was able to run a thin wire (truth told, a guitar E string .009) from the bridge to the PUP cavity and over to the volume pot body. As you can imagine, I had to fish the wire up in order to reach where the bridge metal is, but that was not difficult.
    My woodworking skills are almost non-existent (soldering - I'm an expert) so I wouldn't tackle a job like this forum thread. However, I'm thoroughly enjoying watching the build progress.

17. kodiakblair

kodiakblair Tele-Meister

Great build thread @The Crash Cowboy :)

When I did the pine slab body last year I cheated :D For tone pots I had a few options like a Noll P-bass preamp,a varitone pot or standard . That allowed me to have a much bigger control cavity so drilling the bridge ground was easy.

18. vintageampz

vintageampz Tele-Meister

Here's a REAL 1976 Fender "Telecaster" Precision Bass in Brown Wash finish. 100% original.

There are re-issue Seth Lover designed PuP's around, which were the only PuP's used on the original and re-issue Telecaster P-Bass models.
    In case you didn't know, Fender hired Seth Lover, the inventor of the Humbucker as used by Gibson and the original Epiphone company that Gibson bought, to design these Humbuckers for the "Telecaster Custom" and Telecaster Thinline models and the Telecaster P-Bass.

Below - 1976 Telecaster Precision Bass and 1973 Telecaster Custom with 1 Seth Lover Fender HB and one standard Bridge Single Pole. Thinline models had 2 Fender HB's, this one is a 1968.

Fender 1976 Precision Bass Telecaster Model.jpg Fender 1976 Precision Bass Telecaster Model body.jpg Fender 1976 Precision Bass Telecaster Model headstock blocked SN.jpg
    Fender Telecaster Custom model.jpg 1968 Fender thinline 2-HB (2).jpg

19. The Crash Cowboy

Great guitars !

We never intended to ‘copy’ a real Fender, we just want to build a simple bass looking like Dusty Hill’s P-bass. We bought a simple Seymour Duncan bass pup.

Mincer likes this.
  20. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

musocaFmWsAKAbPYX4Bnh9Q.jpg
    I had one of these, a '73 model.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.