1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Durham Electronics Zia Drive question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by randysmojo, Jul 15, 2016.

1. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

I found a Zia Drive for a really good price but don't have the means to test it to see if I will like it. Now it's cheap enough that if I don't like it, I can probably make a profit off of reselling it so I'm not worried there. My question is the discription says it can make a 6L6 amps sound like EL84. Now I don't think it will do that really, but does it give some of the jangle to a fender type amp? They,say for rhythm players but I'm thinking more for a low gain pedal to use for lead stuff.

2. lefty73

lefty73 Tele-Afflicted

As with most manufacturers descriptions, take it at face value only. You already know this to be true. And as far as the jangle factor is concerned, that's kind of a wide-open topic. What kind of Fender-type amp? Deluxe Reverb? Twin? Champ? Machete (do they even still make those?)? If you're confident you make your money back or more, I'd say go for it. Sometimes a fat "rhythm" sound is a perfect choice for a "lead".

3. randysmojo

randysmojo Tele-Afflicted

As far as Fender, I mean black face cleans, twin reverb in particular. I'll get it and try to do a good run through and give my thoughts and maybe sound samples so you guys can see what you think.

4. TeleCustom2

TeleCustom2 TDPRI Member

Fantastic rhythm pedal as that is what its meant to be. I suppose one could use it or leads but it isn't a tube screamer / mucho boosto. I use it for rhythm (using a Tele Custom through a Vox AC30) and its fabulous. The Zia can provide a fat rhythm and the low gain is just right. I use it with the Durham Sex Drive and presently that's it... no other pedals necessary for what I play. Very happy with both.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.