Durham Electronics Mucho Boosto Alternative

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by JayDee, Jan 13, 2019.

1. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Does anyone who has played through and is familiar with the Mucho Boosto pedal have any recommendations for a pedal that sounds and feels like it, but that is also true bypass? Thanks.

2. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Just curious... why do you want the pedal to be true bypass?

3. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

I don't like the way that it's buffer affects the bypassed sound and feel of my guitar.

4. luckett

luckett Banned

The easy thing to do is get a bypass looper.

5. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

I've thought about that, but I'm trying to save space. In the end, that may be the best way to go though.

6. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

I'm also considering modifying it to true bypass. I'm not sure how feasible that would be with that particular pedal, but it might be an option.

7. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't used any of the Durham pedals, but I have read that their buffer is pretty well regarded. What is it doing to the signal chain that is causing the issue? Just out of curiosity.

8. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

It's a really strange buffer. I run a Radial PB1 buffer at the beginning of my board. It does a wonderful job making my guitar sound and feel plugged straight into the amp when all of my effects are off. With the Mucho Boosto downstream, it reduces clarity and liveliness in the attack. I understand that all buffers are not created equally. I've experienced that with different pedals through the years. What's really weird is that when I've tried to use it as the main buffer at the beginning of my board, it did practically nothing to keep the signal clear and strong. The buffer in Durham's Sex Drive pedal works the same way for me. It's really strange considering how others seem to love the buffers in those.
    To be clear, I really like Durham's effects. I'm trying to figure out a way to keep the Mucho on my board because I like it so much. I'm just not a fan of their buffers.

Wildcard_35 and artdecade like this.
  9. artdecade

artdecade Poster Extraordinaire

Strange. That's all I can say. I am surprised that their buffer isn't... well... transparent. It doesn't take a lot of magic or mojo to make a good one. Heck, Boss puts a pretty good one in most of their pedals.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  10. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

Assuming it's similar enough to the S.D., you may want to have someone build a "Son of Screamer" modified to be like the S.D., and then get it tweaked to be like the M.B., if that's possible (may want to A/B the two of them, first).

There's a "veroboard" DIY project for the S.D. floating around out there on the web. I can't vouch for its accuracy, but to my eye (assuming it's accurate), it's similar to the Son of Screamer in all the right ways (e.g. I wouldn't bother w/the DIY veroboard at all, but would just have someone do tweaks to the Son of Screamer).

I found at least two DIY kits for the Son of Screamer (one fits in a mini enclosure), so I know they're out there...

11. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Thanks. I appreciate the info. I didn't think of the M.B. as Tubescreamer-ish. It seems more amp-like in it's breakup.
    Do you see any issue with just modifying the M.B. to true bypass?

12. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I think those pedals are all heavily gooped, so it might be a slight challenge as to how to rewire one. But yeah, if the wires can all be determined, it might be straightforward to just replace the existing footswitch with a new one, just wired up for true bypass (that would probably be easier than rewiring the existing switch).

The most likely reasons that these pedals don't seem so TS-like, and seem more amp-like:
    • much flatter freq response
    • clipping diode combinations tend to be "less intrusive," or at least provide one setting like that
    • typically only have a fraction of the gain/drive range
    ...Just for comparison, the Zendrive is sort of a Son of Screamer variant, and some folks think that it sounds like a Dumble amp. And that's just a singular example.

artdecade likes this.
  13. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Thanks again for all of your help. I think I'm going to attempt to mod it.
    Also, thanks for the info about the variations in overdrives. It's amazing how a change here and there can make such a big difference in sound and feel.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.