Dura Gold Premium vs 3M Fre-Cut Gold

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by jtoomb, Oct 16, 2019.

1. jtoomb

jtoomb TDPRI Member

Did a TDPRI search and only had one hit, so I hope this isn't a super common question...Anybody try the Dura Gold Premium? Both the Dura and 3M are aluminum oxide products.

2. Ripthorn

Ripthorn Tele-Afflicted

I think the magic of the 3M isn't just that it is aluminum oxide, but the specific stearate that it is treated with. It resists clogging amazingly well. I have tried some other "gold" sandpapers with varying results. I actually quite like the Mirka Gold and it is significantly cheaper than the 3M (less than half the price in a box of 50). I also really like Mirka products in general, though, but I have found them to always be very high quality.

3. RickyRicardo

RickyRicardo Friend of Leo's

Agreed. I've used Mirka from day one and really like it. Never tried the 3M because of price but I see a lot of builders use it in their vids or threads.

4. jtoomb

jtoomb TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies! I sanded the primer coat with the Dura Gold 400 grit last night and it left light scratches, but I'm assuming it's the grit and not the quality of the paper. Hopefully, I shouldn't have waited for the 3M to arrive. I'll shoot a final nitro primer coat over it tonight.

I did order something new to me, Abranet, and will probably give it a shot also.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001BKXWDK/?tag=tdpri-20

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.