Duplicolor primer types

newuser1

Tele-Holic
I'm looking to buy a Duplicolor primer to use under Duplicolor Perfect Match spray cans and I've found the following different types:

The 3rd one above is probably the best choice as it is from the same Perfect Match Duplicolor line, however it's 8 ounces only (vs 12 ounces for the first two) and is very expensive.

Can I use any of the first 2 above under a Perfect Match solid color?

newuser1

Tele-Holic
I sent the same question to Duplicolor's support last night and here is their answer:

While most primes are considered Universal, I'd still suggest using Perfect Match Filler Primer before applying Perfect Match Paint.

NoTeleBob

Friend of Leo's
There must be a forum issue... your links flash some amazon logos for a moment and then they disappear. If you want to post the product names I will give you more specific comments.

A "filler" or "high build" primer is intended to fill small imperfections. Like open grain woods and little lines, etc. It's a great choice, but I highly recommend sanding it back until it only is filling small imperfections. Filler primers are soft, and if you don't sand them back, there will be a cushion under your paint and the finish will chip easily. Ask me how I know.

My usual course is a coat of standard primer. Sand flat with #400 dry. It's ok if you go through a little but try not to. If you see any large imperfections, fill with "spot putty" and sand flat. Apply a coat of filler primer. Sand back with #400 to remove any filler aside from what's filling the imperfections. If you go through anywhere, apply one more coat of regular primer and sand lightly with #400.

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I just did this guitar. Here is what I used. I had no issues with this primer filler, I painted over it with duplicolor.
1.jpg
image (1).jpg
image (7).jpg
image (14).jpg
image (16).jpg
66243525062__39CE2878-F26C-4A45-A812-288014DD7A92.jpg
IMG_9109.jpg

dkmw

Poster Extraordinaire
Any automotive primer will work with the duplicolor color coats. High builds are usually a little easier to work with. You didn’t say what color you’re spraying over - in general if it’s a light color use white primer (if possible) and if it’s dark use grey primer.

newuser1

Tele-Holic
There must be a forum issue... your links flash some amazon logos for a moment and then they disappear. If you want to post the product names I will give you more specific comments.

A "filler" or "high build" primer is intended to fill small imperfections. Like open grain woods and little lines, etc. It's a great choice, but I highly recommend sanding it back until it only is filling small imperfections. Filler primers are soft, and if you don't sand them back, there will be a cushion under your paint and the finish will chip easily. Ask me how I know.

My usual course is a coat of standard primer. Sand flat with #400 dry. It's ok if you go through a little but try not to. If you see any large imperfections, fill with "spot putty" and sand flat. Apply a coat of filler primer. Sand back with #400 to remove any filler aside from what's filling the imperfections. If you go through anywhere, apply one more coat of regular primer and sand lightly with #400.

Here are the 3 primers:

Dupli-Color CDAP17007 2-in-1 Filler & Sandable Primer, Gray, 12 ounce, 1 (Non-Carb Compliant)

Dupli-Color DAP1689 White General Purpose Sandable Primer – 12 oz.

Dupli-Color CBPR00310 Perfect Match Premium Automotive Paint, Scratch Filler, 8 Ounces, 1 (Non-Carb Compliant)

stratisfied

Tele-Afflicted
They will all work.

White for light colors like others said.

Regular primer will apply smooth and level but takes more coats to fill scratches and slight imperfections.

Filler primer if you have sanding marks you want to fill or imperfections too shallow to putty. It does not "lay down" perfectly smooth and flat so you must wet sand before applying your color.