1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Duplicolor lacquer, which buffing compound?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Peltogyne, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Peltogyne

Peltogyne Friend of Leo's

Hi, I'm doing my first spray job in 20 years since my Hydrocote days and I'm picking up some great tips in this forum.

I'm in the clear coat stage of an all Duplicolor rattle can job of sandable primer over the old Fernandes poly, followed by Metal Specks color and Acrylic Lacquer clear.

I'm looking for recommendations for a brand of buffing compound. My criteria are it should be available cheaply preferably at an auto parts store or Home Depot/Lowes kind of place and give decent results using no power tools. I'm much more interested in ease of use than the best finish possible (gasp!). I'm not hearing much love for Turtle Wax. Any one got any faves? Thanks.

2. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Maguires or 3M have worked for me in the past with the Duplicolor. Used their Acrylic clear for the first time this year, good stuff.

3. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

3M Finesse-it or Perfect-it followed by Imperial Hand Glaze will give great results.
    Meguiar's ScratchX also does a fine job.

Here's a handy product chart.

4. Peltogyne

Thanks for the info guys, and that chart is great :)

5. marvinjensen

marvinjensen TDPRI Member

To get a perfect orange peel free surface I wet sand with 1200,1500,2000,2500 grit wet/dry 3M sandpaper, then buff with 3M Imperial Micropolishing compound, then 3M Finesse-it. Let the finish dry for at least a week (or put in a hot box) before sanding/buffing or you're wasting your time as it will shrink up and all that buffing is for naught.

You have to start with 1200 or the surface will not be leveled. Do a thorough job with each consecutive grit or you will have scratches in the surface. In other words, if you do a 1200 finish and then hurry through the finer grits when finally buffed you will still have 1200 grit scratches in it.

Always use a block of some sort to wrap the sandpaper around preferably something that will bend unless you're doing a totally flat body. Stay completely away from any "edge" or you will sand through the paint.
    I have several cork blocks and some bendable high durometer foam/rubber blocks

P.S. Do not use your fingers to sand, use a block.

6. Peltogyne

Thanks Marvin.

At least a week sounds kind of quick, some of my early tests still feel a bit too close to gummi bears to sand :)

What kind of hot box have you used and how much time has it saved you? I just put the last clear coat on the body this morning and it's warm out so I'll likely just wait but the idea interests me.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.