Duo Sonic project guitar: first baby steps

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Orbitolina, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Orbitolina

Orbitolina TDPRI Member

Hi all,

I bought a very cheap MIM Duo Sonic over the weekend as a project guitar. Body and neck are perfect if very dusty but I've not taken it apart yet. I feel that there's quite a bit wrong inside and am looking for some pointers.

There's a lot of noise coming from the jack to start with. Then I get hardly any sound coming out of the amp. I have to turn it up completely, and then I mainly get hum/high pitched noise. However, I have to add that there's something wrong with the sockets in my home (moved to continent recently), as if they're not earthed properly. So when I run the amp on batteries this is better, but there's still a lot of unwanted noise and very little actual guitar sound even when I put the amp on max. So imagine volume half up: no guitar sound whatsoever, 3/4 up: getting there depending on the model but noise gets up a lot as well. I currently have a THR10C on loan as the movers wrecked my own amp and I've not decided on a new one yet. This amp works well with my tele though I also don't get sound out when the master volume is 1/4 on. Bit less humming on mains, and no humming on batteries, and no noise from the jack.

Not a problem at the moment as I was looking for a project to learn more about guitars, and got the perfect body and neck for it. But where do I start from here? Any shops in Europe that sell pods, jacks, wiring, shielding and the likes, similar to Stewmac, but then without the high shipping costs and customs?

In the end I'd like a guitar that sounds different to my Tele. I haven't really decided yet on whether to go alternative/cool distortion or more along the lines of surf/spaghetti western. It's very easy to bend the strings, thus that's great.

2. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

All Parts and WD both have UK versions. Axes R Us are also good for parts.

I had one of those MiM Duos from new when someone was blowing then out for £195, fun guitar. I didn't think much of the pickups but I ended up putting lipsticks in there which worked very well. It became a workhorse for learning how to do restoration and relic work so it ended up a bit butchered, but it eventually got sold to someone who didn't mind the look.

3. Orbitolina

Orbitolina TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot for the shops.
    The guy I bought this from got it in the early 2000s second-hand for a guitar shop, and then decided he doesn't like playing guitar. So it's been collecting dust ever since. Even found bits of new guitar pickguard plastic around the buttons. Everything on the outside is still perfect, and I really dig the small size, light weight and super skinny neck. I figured if the electronics are rotten then I can learn how to replace them without rubbishing the looks. If I want to mod it further I can do that later.

I'll finally open it up tonight to see what it looks like inside. Probably have to clean it quite a bit and then check all connections. Other than that, what would be the next step to do? Considering my current amp problems, is there a way to figure out what parts might be broken? I don't have a lot of tools but finally want to get a few useful things anyway.

4. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

A multimeter (aka volt ohm meter) would help measure resistance and continuity of the electronics. But it sounds like you need an electrician to sort out your residential circuitry first.

5. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

I had a Duo Sonic, 2017 IIRC, and the electronics were junk from the factory.
    And I’m not just saying that because it’s MiM, that stuff don’t bother me. The switch broke within 2 days, the bridge pickup went completely dead, (open winding) and the pots weren’t even close to their marked values. I replaced everything, and it was an amazing little guitar. The stock pickups actually sounded good for their short lived life. You definitely need a multimeter, and need to learn how to use it. That takes the guess work out of everything!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.