Dunlop strap lock problem

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
If you're unfamiliar with these things, they are ingenious and dirt-simple devices.

No I’m totally hip to how they work and actually have a number of those same type of connectors that we used to work with in the coach building and off-road equipment also. I finally did get this apart and it is my newest set. there appears to be rust or corrosion possibly owing to lesser materials being used now?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
There appears to be rust or corrosion possibly owing to lesser materials being used now?

Could be, such as changing from stainless steel to plain carbon steel for the little spring.

They did the same with the mounting screws about five years ago: used to be, they came with high-quality stainless steel screws. Now, the screws are cheap and soft and the heads easily strip out, like they're made from recycled underwear and stale donuts.

Blast it really clean by holding it in a rag and using the little red snorkel tube on a can of Brakleen or WWJD-40. Blow it dry with compressed air, and then add a drop of light machine oil to the plunger. Exercise it a bunch of times and wipe dry.

WWJD-40-TOT.jpg

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
While I was answering some of these replies Jeanette sat there and kept working it and prying at it with a screwdriver… success! The one that was giving me trouble is the uppermost, shown unmounted. I used a clear penetrating oil but what was there when they finally came apart was quite dirty, possibly rust or black colored. I really don’t have any call to think that they may be using substandard materials now, i’m probably just skewed that way
Could be, such as changing from stainless steel to plain carbon steel for the little spring.

They did the same with the mounting screws about five years ago: used to be, they came with high-quality stainless steel screws. Now, the screws are cheap and soft and the heads easily strip out, like they're made from recycled underwear and stale donuts.

Blast it really clean by holding it in a rag and using the little red snorkel tube on a can of Brakleen or WWJD-40. Blow it dry with compressed air, and then add a drop of light machine oil to the plunger. Exercise it a bunch of times and wipe dry.

WWJD-40-TOT.jpg
funny you said blast it… as I was writing replies and after shooting this stuff all around there, Jeanette kept working it back-and-forth and after a good five minutes it finally gave way. I’m definitely switching to a different product though. I have them on 20 or 30 year old guitars that still work fine, even though they look awful, While this is a newer one and I have broken the screw off inside the back of one of my newer guitars, having to carefully drill a hole next to that one to cover up the broken off screw, and make my own small headed screw out of stainless by chucking it up into a drill and running that against my belt sander. Too much work for a $20 product. Funny, If my Pop was still around he would probably say it seems like a decent deal having been a machinist all of his life.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 6