Dunlop strap lock problem

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
Has anyone run into a problem and solution for a locked on Dunlop strap lock? In 30 or more years using these I’ve never run into this problem before. I’ve obviously depressed it as much as I could, and I’ve also soaked oil in there overnight and this morning used a spring pin punch on it, but still it won’t come loose.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 17

Doctor of Teleocity
What, now you want them to unlock, too? Just kidding.

I used those. If I remember correctly, you can grab the washer underneath with needle nose pliers to work the assembly loose. Yours looks pretty clean. I only had a little trouble due to sweat and rust, so periodically I’d take them apart, soak and brush.

You might have a lemon or it might just need to be taken apart and put back together. I found them very reliable and did hundreds of gigs with them on multiple guitars.

P-Nutz

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
I've used Dunlops exclusively over the last X-number of years without issue, but the strap ends (slidey balls; band name you can't have) do wear. PM me with an address and I'll send you a bunch!

Wrighty

Poster Extraordinaire
Has anyone run into a problem and solution for a locked on Dunlop strap lock? In 30 or more years using these I’ve never run into this problem before. I’ve obviously depressed it as much as I could, and I’ve also soaked oil in there overnight and this morning used a spring pin punch on it, but still it won’t come loose.
4lb club hammer, careful not to damage the finish. Seriously' happened to me twice so I don't use them anymore. seem to remember the second time it was really stuck and 1955's solution worked.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Hold the straplock like a syringe (two fingers under the washer and thumb on the button). Press the button in so it's flush with the core...no farther. While holding the button down, pull and rotate left and right. It should disengage.

If you press the button into the core, it locks the unit together.

Last edited:

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
1642366885120.png

8 Pcs Kmise Guitar Strap Locks Straplocks Buttons​

$30.99 on Amazon

Been using these a couple years now - Schaller knockoffs - no problems whatsoever.

fuzz guy

Tele-Meister
A better idea.

Only on certain guitars, the way some hang, like an SG for example, the angle of the strap can pull those things right off.

I've used the Dunlop ones but prefer Schaller style, or for a guitar where low profile is essential the Loxx ones can't be beat.

Good luck OP, hope you get them loose.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
Only on certain guitars, the way some hang, like an SG for example, the angle of the strap can pull those things right off.

I've used the Dunlop ones but prefer Schaller style, or for a guitar where low profile is essential the Loxx ones can't be beat.

Good luck OP, hope you get them loose.
I went through a strap locks phase. Just the Schaller style. The added leverage stress always had the buttons coming loose and eventually stripping.

I use nothing now but a quality strap for my Fenders.

On Gibsons (especially the SGs) I use these from Dunlop.
92eb9d92be147479122da496393bae8d_1800x1800.jpg

Last edited:

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
What, now you want them to unlock, too? Just kidding.

I used those. If I remember correctly, you can grab the washer underneath with needle nose pliers to work the assembly loose. Yours looks pretty clean. I only had a little trouble due to sweat and rust, so periodically I’d take them apart, soak and brush.

You might have a lemon or it might just need to be taken apart and put back together. I found them very reliable and did hundreds of gigs with them on multiple guitars.
Yes seriously man I’ve used these since I was a kid and I’m 60 now, Giggs all through my life never had them mess up before. I’ve even substituted the washers with different things, and sanded the heads of screws smaller so they would slide down the barrel… no problems until now, And yeah the first thing I did was go in there and grab that C washer but to no avail as they say. This set is 100% stock and also my newest ones probably a year or two at the most, While others are 15 or 20 years old, some I don’t even know how old they are.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I went through a strap locks phase. Just the Schaller style. The added leverage stress always had the buttons coming loose and eventually stripping.

I use nothing now but a quality strap for my Fenders.

On Gibsons (especially the SGs) I use these from Dunlop.
View attachment 940894
I used to use those but they were in this goofy blue color. I’d probably use those again or I’d even go so far as to put a fender washer on there on some of the guitars but on a couple I switch the straps when I switch the guitar, in other words I change the guitar but the strap stays with me.

G.Rotten

Friend of Leo's
I used to use those but they were in this goofy blue color. I’d probably use those again or I’d even go so far as to put a fender washer on there on some of the guitars but on a couple I switch the straps when I switch the guitar, in other words I change the guitar but the strap stays with me.
At one point I used one strap and lockers on all the guitars. Now each stage guitar has its own strap set to the optimal height for that guitar. A strap cost only a little more than a set of strap locks and lasts for a long time. Especially when it's not one strap for all guitars. The relatively inexpensive leather strap on my SG is at least 25 years old.

Last edited:

Killing Floor

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’ve never had that happen and not come free with just a drop of light penetrating oil.

Also, for the endless giant washer responses, I’ve never been able to close the case if I leave a strap on.

TwoBear

Friend of Leo's
I’ve never had that happen and not come free with just a drop of light penetrating oil.

Also, for the endless giant washer responses, I’ve never been able to close the case if I leave a strap on.
I hear you there, on my bags, the ones that hold guitars that get gigged with all the time, or at this point it’s probably more proper to say used to get gigged with all the time, but yeah that Jim Dunlop style can be rough on the bottom of the bag when it can get set down on its tail often during load in and out, and then sit between gigs upright on the tail end, with that design boring through the foam and on a couple either ruining the zipper or going through the cordura. Funny thing though on my Two Tokai Les Paul models, they fit inside the cases with the straps attached at the tail end, without causing any real problems. I just unhook them at the upper bout and run the straps over the strings and down headstock finishing up underneath, in back of the machine heads.