Dunlop Primetone Users: Size Difference Between Regular and Small Triangles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by El Tele Lobo, Feb 26, 2020.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Hey guys,

Was thinking of checking out the smooth Primetones as "Blue Chips on the Cheap". Just wondering about the size difference between the regular triangles and the small triangles.

I mainly play Jazz III size picks, but I have a large triangle pick from Martin that I really like for acoustic.

Also, for those who have tried both Blue Chip and Primetones, how do they compare?

Thanks, guys.

2. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Holic

I use both pretty much interchangeably. As a mandolin player, I long ago got hooked on large triangles, which are monster size compared to the Jazz III. Now it's the only size I use on acoustic guitar. I like the Primetone 1.4 smooth finish large triangles with a speed bevel as a back up for my BC CT-55. I tried the small triangle by mistake and do not like them at all. PM me and I'll drop them in the mail to you. For acoustic guitar, I've settled on a Blue Chip TAD 401R for rhythm work. It has just the right amount of give and control for strumming. It's a really smooth, effortless player. The one round corner is great for muted, woman-tone style stuff. If you haven't yet tried Blue Chip, they really are phenomenal, particularly for up tempo work.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. Boubou

Boubou Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I play primetones, the grippy ones, love them.
    I recently tried Tusqs, Jaz III sized, my index finger rubs the strings when I strum hard.
    Yeah I know, learn to play

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

Thanks for your response @telepraise. Really helpful. I had my eye on the TAD 401R too. Seems like a versatile pick. One of these days when I'm working full time again, I'll have to try one (in X-ray school right now). And thanks for the offer on those small triangles! I'll PM you.

5. El Tele Lobo

I have some grippy Jazz III size Primetones that I quite like. Never tried the smooth ones tho. Been meaning to check out those Tusq ones too. How do you like them? How do they compare to other picks you've tried. I mean...obviously they may not be the best size for strumming, haha, but yeah.

6. Boubou

Well I got a multipack at Long and Mcqade,
    https://www.long-mcquade.com/73863/...-M-Exclusive-TUSQ-Pick-Pack--88---8-Picks.htm
    they only had JazzIII size, the Tusqs, I like them they were fine for picking, I would have to order from amazon to get regular size. Some edges are a bit rough, mold, run off, needed to be buffed. But I like the sound difference between their “stiffness”
    Speaking of which, any difference between the clear grippy primetones and the opaque non grippy, other than the obvious grip?
    Both are made from Ultex

7. kmcanney

kmcanney Tele-Meister

I like Primetones, though the attack is a little clickier than the Blue Chip.

The D’Andrea Pro Plec compares favorably to Blue Chip for a lot less $$.

Here’s a quick size comparison: CD57B7BD-9390-4133-B105-1FA9CD65A29A.jpeg

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. El Tele Lobo

Well, thanks to @telepraise I've now tried the smooth PrimeTone small triangles. I like them very much in terms of feel, size, attack and tone. To my surprise, they compare quite favorably (and seem quite similar, tone-wise) to my Dunlop Tortex and Ultex Jazz IIIs. But they are a little bigger, beveled and offer 3 playing surfaces...so no matter how you pick them up, they are oriented properly. I think the large triangles might be a bit on the big side for me. Glad I tried these first.

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

A few months ago, I tried standard shape Primetone.73's, with the ' dot grip' which I did not care for at all ( on acoustic).
    That grip completely kept me from the pick movement I've come to rely on when playing ( I do some fingerpick holding a flatpick w/ middle and ring fingers, along with flatpicking)

BUT, I actually like the tone and feel.of the material when picking, so will try the smooth Primetones asap!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. El Tele Lobo

They're nice. I have a Jazz III size PrimeTone grip. I like the feel of the smooths better. They are plenty grippy.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  11. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Blue Chips cost around $40. Primetones cost around $3.50. Blue Chips have a better grip with the holes and are slightly larger than the Primetones. Blue Chips don’t wear as quickly as Primetones. It is very painful when you lose a Blue Chip. I like Blue Chips better but I don’t get upset when I lose a Primetone. Oh, Primetones in the Jazz III size are nearly identical but I like them better.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. Boubou

Jazz III size is so lame
    :lol:

13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I could tell that ( just from feeling and listening to the 'grip' version) about the smooth version of the Primetones; think they may have what I'm looking for.

I really love good ol' standard Fender Medium picks for my acoustic playing ( love feel, guitar/string tone and actually pick attack sound ).and if I can get that same vibe but with a slightly stiffer feel in the Primetones ( mainly on the lead playing) I'd be happy.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Meister

I saw this thread I thought wow we have some Cajun cats in here...

Nope dudes talking about picks...lol

I like bigger triangles, they cut better in the mix....muuhahahaha
    And will call in for dinner!

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.