Duncan Little 59....

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Butch Snyder, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Butch Snyder

Butch Snyder Tele-Afflicted

I have a 2018 Deluxe Nashville Telecaster. It has all Fender Vintage Noiseless pickups. Alder body, Pau Ferro fretboard and 1M ohm volume and tone pots. If I remover the bridge pickup and replace it with a Duncan Little 59, what can I expect?

ping-ping-clicka and double_a like this.
  2. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

It won't twang, but it will rawk.

3. Butch Snyder

Rocking is great; but I have tried them in the past with 250k pots and they're very dark and dull. I'm hoping that using 1M ohm pots will help them a bit. The Deluxe Nashvilles, with the Vintage Noiseless pickups come stock with them.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I've got a pair in one of my Teles with 500K pots(shoehorned a Strat pickup into the neck position), and they're not dark. I remember reading somewhere that they were supposed to work with 250, but I had the same results you did-dark and somewhat dull.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  5. darkwaters

darkwaters Tele-Afflicted

I've had one for around a year now. If you can, try 500k first. At least for my tastes it can bite, but roll the tone back a bit and it sings.

6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I do wonder how well it would complement the neck? The '59 is a very versitile pickup, but it doesn't always work when playing both pickups together. I switched out the neck HB in my Godin Session a few years ago because the Godin one was a little dark when playing in the neck position. It sounded well balanced with the bridge on that Godin which is a pretty hot pickup, just not for the neck position playing. Well, the '59 really made the neck position great, but I preferred the balance of the Godin HB when playing together with the bridge. Sort of a plus and negative to the change.

That '59 in the bridge will certainly provide far less twang and replace it with a very articulate and open HB, but not sure if that will match well with the noiseless in the neck? Some mods don't play out as well in reality as they do on paper.

darkwaters likes this.
  7. Roman4405

Roman4405 TDPRI Member

I’ve been thinking of putting one in the bridge of my Strat.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  8. Musicroom98

Musicroom98 TDPRI Member

I put one in a strat bridge and although it was okay, it didn’t bring the clarity I wanted when overdriven.

9. Butch Snyder

Interesting, and not in a good way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Musicroom98 likes this.
  10. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

I had a '59 Duncan many years ago, but it was a yo-yo!

zanerd and theprofessor like this.
  11. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

Had one in a Tele. Didn’t love it. Not awful, just not what I was looking for. I think it’s better for someone that has a Tele or Strat but wants a Les Paul.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  12. Mincer

Mincer Tele-Holic

It won't sound like a Tele, but you get a great rock sound. It adds more mids and a lower resonant frequency, which is why I love it in a Tele.

Tommy Biggs likes this.
  13. Butch Snyder

What pot values are/did you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Like mine just did last week. 250 tele pots. Adjusted pole height a tad 59ED4F44-F535-4A72-B47A-BE983878D374.jpeg

15. Butch Snyder

I used 250k pots one time - way too dark for me. I remember using 500k and it was almost perfect. My Tele has 1Meg pots. Wonder what that will be like.

16. Antigua Tele

Antigua Tele Friend of Leo's

I've taken them apart several times, I saw no evidence that they were designed specifically to work with 250k pots. The only actual way to design a pickup to work with 250k pots is to use AlNiCo or ceramic cores. There is no AlNiCo in a Little 59 and the cores are steel. If they had used a non-steel core, the output would be lower, which would defeat the purpose of that particular pickup. That's why Fenders mostly have 250k pots and Gibsons 500k. Even bright Filter'trons pair better with 500k pots, again, because of the steel screws.

They certainly just say that it pairs 205k pots to assuage fears of having to rewire a whole guitar. For the same reason you would use 500k with real PAFs, you would want to use them with Little 59's. As you observed, the attenuation with 250k pot loading is overly dark. They take the gamble that they can make such a statement and enough people will be satisfied with them as is.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  17. mjstamos

mjstamos Tele-Meister

Have one in a Tele in the bridge and agree with the general sentiment here that it's a bit dark and not very Tele sounding. Also it does not blend super well but useable with the neck pick up in my set up, I have a Frallin P92 in the neck. That said on it's own I really like it and it suits the guitar.

[​IMG]

uriah1 likes this.
  18. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

I have SD Quarter Pounds in one of my Teles, and those juice it up nicely while still sounding like a Tele.

Tommy Biggs and cnlbb like this.
  19. Mr Gunny

Mr Gunny Tele-Meister

I have one installed in a tele, you definitely lose most of the tele twang but I still like it. I have it paired with a SD 59 in the neck, 500k pots. In my opinion, it’s still a fairly bright guitar.

20. Butch Snyder

Not trying to keep the twang. Want a humbucker tone.

darkwaters likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.