Duncan Broadcaster users...

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by stephen78, Aug 28, 2018.

1. stephen78

stephen78 Tele-Meister

I've been reading a lot about this pickup and need your assistance. My current Tele is a Baja 60's body with a Baja 50's neck. It has the stock Fender 58 bridge/52 neck pickups in it now. I like the bridge pickup... it has a traditional twangy Tele tone, which is what I want. But...I wish it had a tad more punch to it and maybe a little more bite in the treble. Would switching to the Duncan Broadcaster do the trick?

From what I've read, it has more mids which I think would give it more punch, and I hear it has more bite without being harsh. Is this accurate? My main use for my Tele is chicken pickin'. I also sometimes use it for classic rock. After watching some YouTube vids it seems like the Duncan Broadcaster can handle either style well, but I'd still like your opinion. FYI - I'm using a Vintage Sound 15 (Princeton clone) with a WGS G12 C/S speaker (very smooth top end on that speaker).

Note - I'll probably switch out the neck pickup as well...either a Duncan to match or I hear the DiMarzio Twang King works well.

uriah1 and Mincer like this.
  2. stephen78

stephen78 Tele-Meister

Bump

3. tweedtone

tweedtone Tele-Afflicted

I've got the SD Broadcaster set in an MIJ '86 paisley Tele with a 4-way switch and I really like it. Definitely a bit more upper midrange to it but in a most pleasing way.

stephen78 likes this.
  4. Iago

Iago Friend of Leo's

I used one for years until it broke. Definitely more mids is what comes to mind. The treble was smoother than what came in the guitar (Classic 60's) but still present, twangy, but not "dry twang" - think "twang but with some compression". Most importantly, it was never ice picky (unlike the stock bridge pickup). More bass too, but the mids and the smoothness is what I remember the first.

As you can tell, I do wish it still worked. Maybe I'll try another one when I buy a 2nd Tele.

stephen78 likes this.
  5. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I'm onboard with tweedtone and lago. I've spent a fair amount of time playing a friends Tele with a Broadcaster, through Ampeg and Hiwatt amps.

The Twang King is a good choice for the neck. I've had excellent sounds though another friend's Tele that has a set of Twang Kings.

stephen78 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.