Duncan Antiquity 1950 Lap Steel Pickup?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by dmarcus30, Oct 10, 2011.

1. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

Anyone tried one of these? I'm intrigued as I know the Champ steel pickup it's based on goes for big bucks since it became known they were installed in Keith Richards' Telecasters. These Duncans are intended to be screwed right into the wood of the body, no springs/baseplate/tubing, correct? The price is certainly reasonable. How's it sound?

Attached Files:

2. CyanideJunkie

CyanideJunkie Tele-Holic

Very interested in this as well, hope someone chimes in soon!

3. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Doesn't the GE Smith Tele use something similar?

4. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

I recently installed the Duncan Antiquity lap steel in a 1952 Fender Champion lap that I found on eBay that was missing the original PUP. I love the sound of it for lap steel. Although I have not heard the Duncan it in a Telecaster, I can say that IMO it has a nice vintage tone. Give it a shot!

5. tyharry08

tyharry08 TDPRI Member

I'm also considering mounting this on my tele with a GE Smith style bridge. Is it fatter and darker than a traditional tele pup? Because I've heard both ways on Champion pups.

6. tyharry08

tyharry08 TDPRI Member

Also, wouldn't it be possible to mount this pickup on a different bottom baseplate? Kind of like the ones Mojotone makes. Or could you simply remove one from the stock tele bridge pup and use it?

7. teleteej

teleteej TDPRI Member

I did the same thing as the OP in a 50's Champion. Killer pickup for a vintage Fender lap steel restoration. There are many vintage Fender lap steels that are missing the original PUP .. because once it was known that they were the same PUP as vintage Blackguards, they were sought after and ravaged! Curious as well... anyone tried one in a Tele?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.