Dumpster Find!

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
The East Indian Rosewood on that neck, might be as good as many of the pricey guitars today.

Lots of things about these Starcasters, not so great. I've looked at quite a number, I wouldn't want. But as time went along, they seemed to get better and better and some would be perfect for a beginning player.

jvin248

Doctor of Teleocity

Starcasters with the scroll headstock (MIC) are my favorite inexpensive find. They are better copies of MIA than any Squier. Chunky neck and full thickness bodies. The arrow Indonesian headstock ones are exactly Squiers.

Check fretwork and level if needed, full setup, swap pots, switch, jack for typical MIA parts, deck the trem so no distractions, shielded cable to the jack. No other mods and that guitar can hold up to any MIM or even MIA.

Too many players think the price is too low (must be poor quality) and think they need to swap tuners, pickups, nut, trem, saddles,... All the expensive parts and these don't need all that.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Man! Why can't I find stuff like this!!! LOL!!! Wow... can't believe someone just tossed that. Nuts. Good for you donating it, and nice collection btw ;) I like the pile of necks particularly :)

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
The things people throw away!
Good find for you though. 👍
this fender JAM, RocPro 1000, and the Powerchorus were all thrown out , I fix 'em and use I 'em

P1010007_2.JPG

24 track

Telefied
Ad Free Member
A cousin of mine found this in the trash when he moved into his house. Now it's mine!

It's a cheap Fender Starcaster strat, but I'll fix it up and make sure it gets to a good home. A friend of mine teaches music in Florida and has a guitar class. So I'm hoping he'll find a student that needs a good playing guitar but can't afford their own we can get it to!

View attachment 999336
Excellant find , I'm in love with the starcaster neck though!

kudos for for your intent to donate it

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
The East Indian Rosewood on that neck, might be as good as many of the pricey guitars today.

Lots of things about these Starcasters, not so great. I've looked at quite a number, I wouldn't want. But as time went along, they seemed to get better and better and some would be perfect for a beginning player.

Yeah the more I've played it the more I've come to notice how nice it is. The neck has a great chunk of Indian Rosewood like you said, and it feels better than most squiers I've played (too narrow). It does have a few dents and dings around it, so we'll figure out something to make it top notch. Maybe a full refinish...maybe not.

Only a vindictive ex would throw a guitar in a dumpster. Glad it was rescued.

So my cousin knew the guy that was moving out of the house that threw it away, and he was a musician. Probably had more instruments than space and just didn't have enough room to keep it.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's

Starcasters with the scroll headstock (MIC) are my favorite inexpensive find. They are better copies of MIA than any Squier. Chunky neck and full thickness bodies. The arrow Indonesian headstock ones are exactly Squiers.

Check fretwork and level if needed, full setup, swap pots, switch, jack for typical MIA parts, deck the trem so no distractions, shielded cable to the jack. No other mods and that guitar can hold up to any MIM or even MIA.

Too many players think the price is too low (must be poor quality) and think they need to swap tuners, pickups, nut, trem, saddles,... All the expensive parts and these don't need all that.

Ditto. The frets are pretty bad and need work. The high E string was stuck underneath a fret when I got it, because there is so much space between the frets and the fretboard. So they'll need reseated at the very least before I do anything else.

But it is nice that they have the full thickness body! Very cool.

Steve Holt

Friend of Leo's
Man! Why can't I find stuff like this!!! LOL!!! Wow... can't believe someone just tossed that. Nuts. Good for you donating it, and nice collection btw ;) I like the pile of necks particularly :)

Yeah that pile...at one point I had 4 necks piled up in my guitar room earlier this year. Now down to three with a few more out in the shop. But what do you do? Keep accumulating parts.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Yeah that pile...at one point I had 4 necks piled up in my guitar room earlier this year. Now down to three with a few more out in the shop. But what do you do? Keep accumulating parts.

Oh yeah man.... I know only too well ;) My pile looks a lot like your pile LOL!!!

FortyEight

Friend of Leo's
My starcaster is kinda my main guitar. It's been with me longer than any other electric. And the last 10 years plus it's what I write most of my songs on.

It's been through the several variations and upgrades. New tuners cuz one original had a broken shaft. the fret ends would cut you. So eventually I learned to sand those down. LOL. right now I have 2 mexican pups in it. But that 1/4 pounder posted in the pic is going back in the bridge next.

It has an american bridge with vintage saddles now. And I'm thinking about getting a P90 for the neck. The route is HSH.
It is a full thickness body and does feel better than a thinner squier strat in that regard. IMHO.

I would like to strip it but I started to sand by hand on the back, and I think that stuff is made from concrete.

I like that guitar. There are lots better, but this one is with me a lot. It has it's own good things going for it. I do think I want to get a new neck eventually.

I kid you not, the fingerboard radius is 16". Not sure how that happened, but it is.

Attachments

• IMG_6268.jpg
    IMG_6268.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 8

Blazer

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
You got lucky, there's other things that might end up in a dumpster.

"Could you fellaz lend a hand please, the missus is gonna throw a fit."

Fendereedo

Doctor of Teleocity
Wow, great find. My brother had one of these years ago. Not a bad player with a few mods.

wraub

TDPRI Member
Definitely a solid score, good looking pickguard too. Enjoy. :)