Dumped the strap locks.

Recce

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I choose not to drink at home and usually have to drive, to gigs. Every time I have a pint, it's a treat.
I was playing in a bar without Guinness, recently and settled for some 'craft' stuff, which was 9% proof. The potency reminded me pretty quickly, how 'out of practice' I am, with this ritual......;)
I have found you need to pay attention to the potency on craft beers or you end up pretty buzzed by accident. Not good if you are out and about.

O- Fender

Friend of Leo's
The washers are also on other bottles with that kind of stopper. Just look around.
I got mine on maple syrup bottles.

Just an FYI for those here that don't drink beer.

radiocaster

Poster Extraordinaire
I put red ones on my LP100 and they kept popping off. One time it took more than a week to find where one popped off to. The plastic Dunlop strap locks would also pop off. I finally settled for the thickest, heaviest, widest strap I could find, with leather that is so hard it won't pop off.

The problem is the LP100 is too light for a Les Paul, it's only 8.2 lbs., and mine is a heavier example of that model.

On my normal 9.2 lbs. LP style, I just use a regular width strap, a T-strap button on one side and the regular button with a Dunlop plastic lock on the butt-end, and it works fine.

Actually, I use Grolsch ones on teles and Mustangs, they're fine for those.

Lost_N_Austin

Friend of Leo's
I don't use Straplocks on my guitars.
I save them but I don't know why.
StrapLocks.JPG

Lost_N_Austin

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I've never "oiled" mine and they never squeak. Not any of the 3 sets I have.
Good! Mine did though. Not only that, they were just loud in general when I moved around. Not a big deal live, but in a studio, was no bueno. Just my own experience.

Flaneur

Poster Extraordinaire
If you have a favourite strap, with really worn ends, that can become problematic. Likewise, some OE pins are a bit smaller than is ideal. If you like to move around a lot-'enthusiastically'- and don't do basic maintenance checks, you might have problems with strap security- even if you use coach bolts. ;)

I'm hoping and expecting the beer bottle rubber will work, in this case.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Meister
You can also buy replacement beer bottle washers on eBay, same as the grolsch.... They come in bags of 100, so I have *a few* extra, lol

Lost_N_Austin

Friend of Leo's
If you have a favorite old strap that has become soft or worn and therefore programmatic. You can regain some stability by soaking in a few drops of superglue and flattening or shaping the area with a suitable screw driver blade or metal blade until the superglue sets up.

Lost_N_Austin

bottlenecker

Poster Extraordinaire
Am I the only one who's never used strap locks? The first time I even tried rubber washers was recently on my 5 year old's bass, because he kept dropping it. I guess I'm not doing enough guitarobatics on stage.

spellcaster

Tele-Holic
I just heard a comment I've never heard before. I played at an open jam on the weekend, and the owner of the amp I was using didn't want me to loop his guitar cable through the strap "because strap locks damage guitar leads" WTF???

Lef T

Tele-Afflicted
I bought a Lock-It leather strap and use it with my Tele.
I can easily take the strap off when I put the guitar in its case.
Works perfectly.

Deebs3

Tele-Meister
I'm getting rid of mine, firstly they keep undoing the neck pin after 10 mins, secondly I can't get the damn things off without twisting the guitar around. So there..

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I've told this story a couple times in different threads.

I almost dropped my 1998 Collector's Edition Tele in front of hundreds of people because of a Schaller strap lock failure.
To be specific, the cup part on the strap worked its way upside down, as it were. The open part of the "cup" part facing the wrong way. The spring loaded pin released and I went into a crouch to save my guitar.
Schaller strap locks are overpriced junk. I will repeat this in every one of these threads until I die, retire, or get sued by Schaller (and I'd keep repeating it even after that;) ).

In reply to all those who have moral or ethical issues with the rubber beer washers...
I buy mine at the hardware store.

Bread wrapper clips even work, in a pinch.

Don't over think it; just secure the strap.

Last edited:

DekeDog

Tele-Afflicted
My guitars go back in their hard cases when not in use. Each guitar has its dedicated strap with strap locks. More often than not, the straps don't fit well on the guitar in its case. I might use washers if mine stayed out of their cases, but they don't. I've never had any issues with these Schaller locks:

StrapLkSchB-large.jpg

Last edited:

grandstick

Tele-Holic
You can also buy replacement beer bottle washers on eBay, same as the grolsch.... They come in bags of 100, so I have *a few* extra, lol
Like you, I picked up a 100-pack of red rubber bottle washers from Amazon several years ago. I have them on several guitars, AND I use them to prevent my instruments from slipping off the swiveling wall hangers (Teles are especially prone to doing this).

B06F21BE-B039-44AD-A00E-93F531EED4AD.jpeg