1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dumble ODS, I have a question

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by sjturbo, Apr 21, 2021.

1. sjturbo

sjturbo Tele-Meister

Likely been discussed at length but I have not been looking for a pedal for a long time.
    I have recently been looking for something to get the sound on this clip. I've gotten close with the original ZD, also tried the KOI OD which is very nice. I like the combination of the Rumble Mod and original Nobels ODS with 3band eq. So all of these are older pedals. wondered if anyone had used an Xotic AC Booster Comp Custom Shop, (or other compressor), to add something? Any suggestions for more updated pedals? Robben Ford - Blues & Beyond - Revelation - YouTube

2. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

People like the Simble alot.
    But honestly, if you've already come close with those pedals, I believe the missing ingredient is in your playing, not your gear.

bluesholyman likes this.
  3. dogmeat

dogmeat Friend of Leo's

I got closer with "The Dude"

4. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Doesn't Ford use a Zendrive when he has to play through a backline amp instead of his own gear?

5. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Friend of Leo's

I think the Zen Drive, The Dude, or other Dumble-esque pedals will get you pretty close. AC Booster or Soul Driven could do similar. For that matter, I think TS will put you in the ballpark of that song.

Edit: Want to add, I think the pickups in that guitar are pretty airy, kinda like 57 classics perhaps (doubt is them - thats a Fender guitar). So part of the sound is the pickups themselves.

6. Cosmic Cowboy

Cosmic Cowboy Tele-Meister

7. cousinpaul

cousinpaul Friend of Leo's

The "That Pedal Show" guys came close with a Boss GE-7 pushing a Blues Driver in their Dumble pedal roundup. Check it out. Lots of tweak-ability with that set up.

bluesholyman likes this.
  8. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

IMO one of the things that gets overlooked in trying to get the RF tone is Robben’s picking. He uses a loud amp but has an incredibly light touch with his right hand. I’ve heard that this technique can help create that bloom you hear.
    Also, the pickups are important. They should be lower output PAF style pups.

I approximate this tone with the Jetter GS124 and a modded GE-7 EQ pedal into a clean fender amp. I think the Zendrive and an EQ pedal would be even better.

Also, I don’t think using a compressor is the way forward with this tone.

NorthenLights likes this.
  9. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

+1.
    This is the reason I don't believe in the whole dumble-in-a-box thing. That sound is all about the amp always being just on the verge of breakup, while still being fairly uncompressed, retaining alot of its highs. Having a soft is crucial to this as anyone having played through a D-style amp (doesn't have to the original) can attest to. That amp is actually very easy to get a BAD tone from if you don't know what your right hand is doing. It's totally unforgiving, and you basically has to re-learn how to play through it.
    You just can't recreate that pick sensitivity in a pedal. At best, you can mimick the tone to a certain extent, but you'll never catch all the nuances unless you're playing through the actual amp.

Jay Isler likes this.
  10. Jay Isler

Jay Isler Tele-Meister

I don’t think I have enough control to play through a Dumble style amp. Lol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.