Dumble "clones" out there?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by makeuacaster, Feb 21, 2015.

1. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

They are great amps. Brandon has a great ear as well.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1433810154.104989.jpg

2. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted

KC, can you tell a bit more about that? I haven't seen it on their website.

3. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

4. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Yes. I know only what they have on the site, but my Trinity 18 is a high quality product, so I'm expecting the same from any of their amps.

http://trinityamps.com/Product_TrinODS.htm

5. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

So, you probably drive a Plymouth K-Car too, huh ?

6. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

AFAIK, when Robben Ford wants Dumble tone without having to haul Dumbles, he gets pretty damn close with a Twin Reverb and his favorite pedal.
    Not a sexy road, but probably the best bet for us mortals.

7. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Having talked to Robben about that, he said he sounds like himself playing through a tweaked Twin Reverb. The style is him - the sound is different. That's what many people don't seen to be able to differentiate - the "style" of a player makes him sound "similar" when playing through different amp, but it will not be the same tone (and many use amps other than their Dumbles not because they don't want to play them out - they ned a different sound for a specific situation.).

And as has been mentioned several times - but still gets ignored - is that a Dumble "copy" is going to be a copy of a specific amp voiced for a specific player. There isn't a "stock" Overdrive Special - other than a few early ones that were very similar, for years each one has been made specifically to the players' taste that is ordering it. Try two used ones - they are not going to sound the same with the same player using the same guitar/pedals, because each one is a different amp.

As also previously mentioned, they are very reactive to a players' attack - i.e they are very touch sensitive. You read "reviews" from players who tried out a used one and they sounded awful through it - well, thats usually because they just didn't understand how to "play" the amp, nor who it was made for.

Buying a "Dumble clone" may get a sound completely different than what you were expecting, unless the maker will do the same kind of personalized voicing for you.

8. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

[QUOTE="Silverface, post: 6852039, member: 4"Buying a "Dumble clone" may get a sound completely different than what you were expecting, unless the maker will do the same kind of personalized voicing for you.[/QUOTE]

Most of them do, actually. Almost every builder offering the ODS amp, has several variations, & then some. Not unlike what Mr. Dumble would offer, I presume..

9. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

But not the individualized voicing. They have a "menu" of options - at least the ones I'm aware of - for the most part. Very few personalize the voicing of a specific amp for a player by analyzing examples of his playing, or needing to hear him play live (and to be fair, they don't require being "vetted" to even order, nor a very unique up-front payment method I won't mention, nor lead times that have never been completely figured out. Or PARTIALLY figured out. ;-) ).

Mr. Dumble is unique, to be sure. But his specifically-made amps work very well for some players. Some work for very few players, which makes it tough to know how to buy one on the used market (if you can afford one). And adaptability includes variations of the same "model" (since "model" is a VERY loose description when it comes to his amps).

If he gave them individual names like the late Ken Fischer did it might be easier to determine *what* amp is being (supposedly) cloned, but he doesn't - and unlike Ken he doesn't want anything copied. He's also made so many changes over the years schematics based on early non-"gooped" amps..or older ones that have ben carefully stripped of the goop - aren't representative of what he's currently producing. Cabinet design (something he's very specific about, from back-panel baffle boards to the exact position and shape of rear openings) and speaker specifications have also evolved quite a bit.

Again, it boils down to this - if someone wants a Dumble copy, which *specific* single example does he want a copy of? Chances are it will be an amp that's never BEEN copied because it's not available for analysis. Mr. Dumble's clients need to agree to keep information close to the vest or they won't be able to order. At least this is the information that's ben passed down from some very qualified sources. I have had no personal dealings with him.

I'd just hate to see some player spend thousands of dollars on what is essentially 1) a counterfeit amp, and 2) it not even being an accurate counterfeit. If someone wants a Dumble, they should contact Mr. Dumble. If they want something *similar* to one of his amps there are certainly makers, but they are not copies of what Mr. Dumble is producing and may be completely different from the players' expectations.

Caveat - I don't like production copies of anyone else's specific guitar amp design, unless it's being self-made for personal use. I don't agree with the practice of profiting on purported copies of products unless the maker includes a disclaimer that it is either significantly different in some way or a "tribute" instead of a "copy".

10. BrianF

BrianF Friend of Leo's

Deleted

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016
  11. Pcaluaru

Pcaluaru Tele-Meister

Thinking one dude makes the "Excalibur" of amps is kinda being closed minded...

If Ford plays Twins Reverbs when he has Dumbles that says to me... He likes the sound he gets with the Twins over the Dumble(s). He knows he can get the same sound or better with his hands, his guitar and the Twins... and the Dumble(s) has no additional effect on the quality of his tone. If it did... he would play the Dumble(s)

No excuses for Dumbles please....

I've never heard a Dumble, nor played one in my 32 yrs of playing and gigging, but I've played just about everything out there but...

What I know...

There is no amp that is the Excalibur of amps... sorry that dog just don't hunt... What there is..... is a specific amp by a specific manufacture that makes an individual's "Excalibur". What I like and what someone else likes are two different things..

Kinda accounts for Dumbles being tweaked for the individual's customers taste and probably accounts for the High accolades and prays by that individual who had the amp made. (pretty smart by Dumble himself... ) Unless you have a Dumble made for yourself... sounds like to me your taking a chance of paying a huge amount for an amp... and rolling the dice (you might not like the customization the original amp owner had done)

Also imo... hard to clone an amp the was/is based on the 'principle of customization for an individual's taste" So if your buy a clone... got to ask "Is there such a thing in the first place???"

Some of the posts on this thread reek of nativity. So many 'off the shelf" amps are of quality.... & all quality amps are sensitive to one's playing... Because so many amps produce such a variety of different tones.... "ThAT'S THE one true factor that distinguishes a quality amp from junk!" If the flaws in your technique are highlighted for the first time to you..... because your playing a quality amp... lol... Guess what? They have always been there.. and other people have noticed. This "amp sensitivity" isn't unique to Dumbles!!! And I doubt Dumbles are "more sensitive" than other amps of same quality.

Take a page out of Ford's play book... (and so many other top professionals) If your sound/style is easily doable by an 'off the shelf" quality amp.. then spending the big $$$ is not needed... But, IF THERE IS AN AMP OUT THERE THAT only MAKES THE SOUND YOUR HEARING IN YOUR HEAD... then yes go get it! That makes sense... Or If you got money burning a hole in your pocket... then by all means....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.