Dumble "clones" out there?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by makeuacaster, Feb 21, 2015.

1. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Honestly, not bad at all.

You just need to make it a tad smoother now

2. Cjl77

Cjl77 Tele-Meister

I agree with rusrant, I've played 2 dumbles in my life. The first time I was 20 yrs old and had never heard of dumble. It was just an amp. It sounded good( wasent my thing) but was nothing that made a huge impression on me. The guy who owned it I believe got it from dumble. The second time was in a studio in New York. By this time I had heard of the "mythical folklore" surrounding dumble. Again a great sounding amp but I've heard lots of great sounding amps. It sounded like me playing through a good sounding amp. I think you tube clips and hype make it seem more than it is.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

homesick 345 thanks. Yeah it does need some tweaking yet. I do think there are different types of dumbletone, though, not all in that super smooth fusion-ey category.
    I've been in the vicinity of an ODS, played very loud by Sonny Landreth, and it wasn't exactly smooth . It did kick ass though. Kinda like this:

4. homesick345

Landreth is phenomenal. He plays the bluesmaster circuit, which I believe, is closest to marshall. Anyways you got a nice thing going. It would be perfect with a slide!....for the rest, I am the first one to admit I can't play the robben ford smooth jazzy sound, but this tone its a "thing" now.

5. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

homesick I saw him at an outdoor local festival, I walked up to the improvised stage beforehand and saw his smallish Dumble combo sitting there, unguarded. I recall it had the digital LED-type font spelling out "OVERDRIVE SPECIAL". He may have used other models over time as well, I don't know

Thanks again for the kudos. Yeah that super smooth jazzy thing does not a lot for me

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  6. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got a chance to hear a Bludotone in person about a year ago locally. A pretty impressive sounding amp.

7. MASONish

MASONish Tele-Holic

Love my Glaswerks SOD2
    Best amp I've owned.
    ImageUploadedByTDPRI1433461929.750610.jpg

8. busman

busman Tele-Meister

or the cheaper option - the Mad Professor Simble Overdrive pedal was designed to sound like a Dumble...

9. kavalero

kavalero Tele-Meister

It will probably take Dumble peps another 20 years to come close to the amps produced 50+ years ago by Leo Fender.

So Dumble .. he, he.

10. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

Threads like this remind me of how great my 80's mk3 boogie is.

Sorry - but the R2 channel on my boogie cranked with a bit more on the treble just nails this singing, dynamic Dumble tone IMHO.

I suppose they were all making relatively similar gain and tone mods to the classic circuits around that time so they'd be tonally similar, but Dumble's rarity did a klon like myth thing to them.

That said the ceriatone ODS clone had interested me as a future build.

11. homesick345

Both the Boogie & Dumble drive are great, with some similarities, without being identical.

Pretty different, imho

There is no point denying the striking originality of the Dumble overdrive(s) textures. It sure sits squarely with Marshall & Boogie, in the Pantheon of overdrive amps that shaped modern music.

Why this is so hard to admit is beyond me

12. Clinchriver

Clinchriver Tele-Meister

Glad you said it first but while watching the vids I was thinking that sounds a lot like my Boogie:D
    Seems like I've moved/moving into the Marshall camp lately

13. Wyatt

Wyatt Tele-Afflicted

Have they ever proven that Deluxe Reverb is a genuine Dumble? I know there was disagreement about that at one time.

14. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

How about $100 for a Zoom MS-50G? It's got a Two Rock emulation in it.
    How close is it to a Dumble?
    I have NO idea, but it sounds pretty good.

15. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

That would make an awesome "Travel amp" :cool:

16. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

The Shootout could have been done a little differently. The clips with the pedal were noticeably louder, and the Dumble used a delay.

The Dumble seemed much more transparent and touch-sensitive. Bloom and note-flipping were present in the Dumble, but not with the pedal. By "transparent" I mean that the body of the note was not as loud as the attack and transients. For these reasons, I much prefer the Dumble.

I still love my Quinn, but have no problem recommending Ceriatones.

17. drewflax

drewflax TDPRI Member

I played one last weekend. They tell me it's made by Fuchs. It was unreal. And $8k. It was labeled as an "Overdrive Special by Dumble" like the pics I've seen off real ones. When I saw it sitting there at first I thought it was a real one. I was ecstatic. Nevertheless, I played a Suhr Classic T Pro through it. When I die I want heaven to sound like that.

18. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I got to hear a Bludotone last year close up, a great sounding amp.

19. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

or, for all of $750, you can get a Ceriatone Mini 20 OTS. Killer little amp. Don't know how close it comes to a real Dumble -- I only played one once -- but holy cow what a nice-sounding versatile little amp. Through a Celestion Gold in a nice big solid cabinet, plenty of thump and volume, too. Big iron. Insanely much fun to play slide through.

20. CHUCKHDTV

CHUCKHDTV Tele-Holic

Take a look at Trinity Amps. They have a Dumble 124 clone in a 25w format. The sound clips are really cool.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.