Dumble - An Unpopular Opinion

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Veltek, Jun 18, 2017.

1. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Simmer down. That's "A."

B) You stated that the OP's impression of the amp are skewed because people have only heard YouTube clips. Many of the gear forums are full of people who hold the Dumble as the "holy grail" amp, and most of those people are basing that opinion on YouTube clips, and the fact that a player they like said its great. Even if the Dumble deserves every ounce of it positive reputation and more, many (if not most) have never heard it in person either. Therefore the majority of overwhelmingly positive opinions of the amp are no less skewed than you assert the OP's to be.

C) Don't get personal. My comment was in reference to a common opinion in the gear community, and I think that was clear. Read for comprehension, not just to justify reaction. To do only the latter is juvenile.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
    Veltek likes this.
  2. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

A few things off the top of my head.

-All parts individually measured before they're put in the amp.
    -Caps have their outer foil marked oriented properly for lowest potential noise floor.
    -Better lead dress
    -Mix of component compositions (It's not one resistor or capacitor composition type throughout the amp)
    -Proper soldering techniques with strong mechanical connections.

Not all of these directly improve tone. Some of it's about reliability, stability, noise floor. Amps have more than just 'tone'
    Component composition and lead dress can be used to fine tune the tone IME. On my clone, the original lead dress was not exactly right and the OD sounded a bit fizzy. Simply by physically moving the wires leading to the tubes, (dont even need a soldering iron) closer/farther from one another changed the overdrive behavior significantly. All it needed was a couple wires moved a couple millimeters and it got rid of the fizzy OD. Lead dress is very often overlooked in amps.

moosie likes this.
  3. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

True the last sentence. My all time number one favorite guitar player (after Jimi of course) is Sonny Landreth. I carried exactly the misperception you describe, focusing on a better guitar, pickups, and pedals, with the amp being an afterthought. It's just an amp after all. Then I got an AC15 and the light went on. The amp is the second most important piece of gear, second only to your fingers. So if the next level up from this Vox is even better, if I got into a serious gigging band I'd look at a $2,000 amp. Not $20,000 though. A lot of masters with top level careers used Marshals, Fenders, or Vox's too.

And $100,000? Only if I was an obsessed collector. Does a Dumble sound 200 times better than an AC15?

jimash and telemnemonics like this.
  4. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

There are a number of posts in this thread that are positive, and posted by people who have, in fact, played a Dumble, and even more from people, like me, who have played or even own a clone. I don't think there is much, if any, of the praise in this thread for Dumbles based only on YouTube recordings.

GuitarsFromMars likes this.
  5. Tremade

Tremade Tele-Holic

When someone starts a thread, "ODS..." or "Klon..." or "Directional..." or "Tonewood...", you know it's gonna be good!

[​IMG]

8barlouie, pondcaster and moosie like this.
  6. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

Hence, I referenced gear forums, not simply this thread. The OP's original assertion could not be informed by the thread that followed it.

Gee whiz. I'm not suggesting the Dumble isn't as good as you all say it is. I was just calling into question the fairness of GuitarFromMar's dismissal of the OP's opinion.

Again: read for comprehension, not just to find a reason to get your shrit in a bumch.

7. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Wow! That's huge. Thanks!

telemnemonics likes this.
  8. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

And what about us? Why don't "we" know that after so many years?

chemobrain likes this.
  9. Sjnoring

Sjnoring Tele-Afflicted

Because you don't charge enough.

10. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

I see it like that: Dumble was nearly the only person, who bothered about fine tuning the amps. Those who can do it are bought by rocket science firms. Those who can't - just copy existing schematics and RCA Radiotron Designers Handbook.

11. vernon

vernon Tele-Meister

I caught the dumble virus once... bought a Ceriatone OTS lunchbox. It was pretty cool to be able to get "that" sound, but after a year I sold it because I was able to get 95% there with a Quilter + Ethos OD. Also, fewer moving parts.

I've heard Lindley play lap steel through his Dumble and it was divine. I went to hear Robben Ford play through his at a small venue... 15 feet away directly on axis... and I'm sure it must sounded great, but I couldn't get past the excruciating piercing pain of excessive db levels.

If I suddenly inherited $5,000 I might be tempted to place an order with Bludotone... but... now facing down retirement - probably not.

12. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

far question. Well Darwin had insight into species evolution, Einstein had insight into physics and the time-space continuum curved space and stuff.
    Bach had insight into being a prolific composer and having a large family while being able to support both activities.
    imho Mr Dumble understands how the simple circuits and how the components interact in a way the allows him to direct the traffic of electrons so
    the electrons will go where he wants them to and when they do his biding and sound like the artists using them speaking of whom,
    The above is flight of fancy and bears no similarity to classified data. How about WELAGEN AMPS?

13. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's

Mr . Dumble is a successful amp builder his business is consistently ongoing and I guess he can afford a roof, food and gas money.
    Good for him. there's a lot of nice things in the world that I don't want , Dumble being one of them , The Carmen Lúcia Ruby doesn't interest me at all,
    neither do Les Paul guitars or an entree of "Yellow Dog, Puffer fish, or cat burritos .
    I do like simple.

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  14. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

It's funny. Both Dumble and Fender mustang gt on this site induce such, how do you say, spirited discussion.

15. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

That's enough out of you, Dumble-hater!

[ Just trying to keep things moving ... ] :rolleyes::D:lol::lol::)

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  16. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

I still get a giggle out of "Dumble clones". Clones of WHICH Dumble? There is no one "Dumble tone" - not even close. As I reminded folks earlier, his amps are made and *voiced* for specific clients, and (for those who have the pull...or luck) used ones are re-voiced for the new owner.

But none are made to "stock specs". Each one - even though the controls or layouts of boards (that are sealed with opaque epoxy making copies impossible) may look the same - has specific details tuned to each player's needs, desires, and current sound(if they like it).

Clones are copies of very old designs, or are amp maker's physical copies electronically made to sound like what each builder thinks one - or more - amp sounded like live or in YouTube clips.

I wouldn't pay a dime for a "clone" that's a guess.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  17. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

Darn, I just ran outa popcorn

Be right back.

8barlouie likes this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

There is a "general" dumble tone, same as there is a general marshall tone and a general fender tone.

Yeah there are some different sounds, but those individual tones tend to have more similarities than they have differences

MilwMark likes this.
  19. Silverface

Never work. Payment has to be made in person. In gold.

Seriously. No exceptions. That's how he's worked for years. Part of the reason is to prevent just that kind of scam.

20. Silverface

Look at the list of twenty or so suers - there are extreme differences in many of their sounds. There is a "general Fender tube amp tone" that every Dumble is based on. THAT'S a similarity! But no, there is no "Dumble tone". I've confirmed that playing the ones I have experience with.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.