Dumb trade?

Keithr41

TDPRI Member
Fair question. I mean, in this case the OP knows the guy really well and, as he said, takes him at his word. That's cool. If he knew him pretty well but was thinking "maybe a little written promise would be a good thing to have" I'd probably just say it should say something like that the guy wouldn't trade or sell it before a certain date and that OP could buy it back from him by that date. That's about all.

Now if this trade guy were a near stranger, that's a whole different story. But, all of it is kinda moot because OP knows and trusts the guy so, it's cool.

My question now is: how did it sound through your rig and pedals? Are you still in love?
Played through my rig, it’s the single most enjoyable sounding and playing guitar I’ve ever laid my hands on. Pure magic. Got that Tele spank In spades. I ran my DRRI, wampler ego comp and Faux Echo through a my amp and it was THE TONE!!

On another note, I’m keeping my guitars and just paying cash. But I’d trade every guitar I own if that’s what it took!!!

Keith

fenderchamp

Friend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
Played through my rig, it’s the single most enjoyable sounding and playing guitar I’ve ever laid my hands on. Pure magic. Got that Tele spank In spades. I ran my DRRI, wampler ego comp and Faux Echo through a my amp and it was THE TONE!!

On another note, I’m keeping my guitars and just paying cash. But I’d trade every guitar I own if that’s what it took!!!

Keith

so happy!

il_1588xN.4074810553_gzw3.jpg

Fender-guy

Tele-Holic

Keith

I’ve done this kind of trade many times. I’d rather have a handful of keepers then handfuls of average guitars. I know you bought the guitar outright but looking at the 4 that you kept, are they keepers? Or are they always going to be up on the chopping block.

Even if you got rid of the 4 for that 1, within a year you’d probably have 1 or 2 of those back. Maybe not those but something similar. It’s kind of never ending really.

Keithr41

TDPRI Member
The 52 I’ll keep forever. The paisley, love it’s look and feel but HATE how it sounds. Sell or new pups maybe. I like my LP but my 2013 standard blows it out of the water so it could go on the chopping block if another opportunity comes up. And my Martin, great guitar but I’ve played it once in the last two years so….meh.

Keith

Fender-guy

Tele-Holic
The 52 I’ll keep forever. The paisley, love it’s look and feel but HATE how it sounds. Sell or new pups maybe. I like my LP but my 2013 standard blows it out of the water so it could go on the chopping block if another opportunity comes up. And my Martin, great guitar but I’ve played it once in the last two years so….meh.

Keith

Exactly. Lots of people see it as “oh man that’s a lot of guitars for only one”. True but like you just said the 52 is a keeper the rest are okay but could do without. That’s the way I always look at it when these trades comes up.

Also if you let the 3 go minus the 52, you could easily find them all again. The MB 1 of 2, not likely.

TwangerWannabe

Tele-Afflicted
Man, I'd really, really, really have to liek that CS Tele to make that trade.

You already have a killer Tele (Paisley), and although it may not be regarded to be as "nice" as the CS, it's no slouch.

My guess is you'd regret that trade after the honeymoon period wears off.

Keithr41

TDPRI Member
Well I didn’t make the trade so…. I bought the MB outright. I got a good deal and it’s worth every penny. Other guitars have been locked up in their cases since the MB came home.

Sax-son

Friend of Leo's
Less then asking price.
I think you made the best decision! If you bought the guitar outright for a price you can live with, that is good. He was working you on the trade deal and everyone here could see that. Keep those guitars, if you have to sell a few you are not happy with, then do that.

Years ago, I got my lesson on the Fender Custom Shop guitars upon a visit to my repair guy back then. He was working on a mutual friend's (fantastic player) Custom Shop Telecaster. He had to basically take that guitar apart and rebuild it, redress the frets, and do a whole professional workover on it. I asked him what he thought of that guitar, and he just shook his head without answering. It was then that I became cautious and skeptical regarding the Fender Custom shop. I am sure there are some great guitars coming out of there as I have played some myself. However, just because it has that little decal on the back of the headstock, that doesn't guarantee anything. It's always buyer beware. Spend your money wisely!

PS: A note on that Paisley, I also have one and swapped out the original electronics for a complete professional wiring harness and Pure Vintage 64 Tele Pickups and it sounds amazing. The original pickups were ok but went microphonic. I am loving that guitar now.

Keithr41

TDPRI Member
Well I haven’t even looked at my other guitars since getting the MB and my 52 RI is REALLY good. But it’s garbage compared to the MB. Maybe I got lucky!