Dumb question alert but I have to ask....

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Newbcaster, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

I went to Savers sometime back to buy an omelette pan. I left with 2 squier strats and a "starcaster"(what a worthless POS.... but after charming a really nice young girl, she told me she was getting revenge on her bf and donated his guitars to savers!!!

She sold them to me for under 3 bux a piece. I mean truly chump change.

At the time I didn't know the body thickness was less and that the bridge spacing was less than that of an American standard.

So I'm wondering...if I left the Squier necks on...what would happen if I tried putting on a standard but gold strat trem?

I have 3/4ths a mind to make new necks and reverse the headstocks and make them 22 fret jumbo necks. but if I didn't... would I run into trouble with the strings hanging off the sides of the fretboard at the 21st fret?

I have a large bug up my hind end to paint one pewter and use some gold lace sensors and a 25 db mid boost tone pot... AFAIConcerned...August and Journeyman are Clapton's two best albums. The red one will be a kind of Hank Marvin meets SRV Red tribute...

2. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Is he bigger than you?

I_build_my_own and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I would just hunt ebay for thinner trem blocks to suit the body rather than go to a lot of work on necks etc. Or take a grinder to one to make it fit.
    Glue a wooden block in there and hardtail it? Fit a tele bridge to it?

Nickadermis likes this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I purchased one of those crappy Starcaster bodies with a Fender MIM neck bolted to it, off eBay... but not on purpose. It was listed as a MIM Fender Stratocaster. I knew the moment I received the box at the post office that it didn't feel right, before even opening the box!!

I was already suspicious because of the weight, so I opened the box in the post office and took the guitar out, played it a little - it looked right, but didn't feel or sound right, even unplugged. I brought it home, still feeling weird about it, and fortunately my daughter had one of those crappy Starcaster guitars and I happened to put my new "MIM Fender Stratocaster" next to it and immediately saw what the problem was.... I was ripped off!

I contacted the seller who claimed ignorance, and agreed to refund enough of my money for me to buy an actual MIM strat body.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Is the Starcaster MIC with the Fender-style scroll headstock or the Indonesian made arrow point headstock? These are usually sold in a 'starter pack' with an amp.

I know it's fun to rag on a cheap guitar ... especially when you got it used and cheap.

The MIC's have more variability in build from guitar to guitar but often chunkier necks and bodies than the typical Squier. The MII are skinny necks and bodies out of the same factory as the Squiers. I like chunky necks and try to pick up of these older Starcasters when I find them for a low price, and have stopped buying any Squier or MII Starcaster (even though the manufacturing build quality of the MII is excellent. Fender specs the parts they get ... but skinny necks are not my thing).

My usual work on those MIC Starcasters:
    -Fret level and full setup (the MII need less of this)
    -New pots/cap/switch/jack (they start with the typcial/same as Squier)

I leave the stock pickups but spend a lot of time adjusting heights. Don't be afraid of ceramic...

I leave the stock trem blocks because that's never proven to be an advantage even though all the forums seem to think it is.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  6. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

just a thought, and not to harangue anyone, but those of ya that are always asking about the difference in string placement on various guitars... what do y'all do when ya go from a whatever you're playing to an acoustic during a set? Or any other instrument.

I mean, I've been up close and personal with some pretty high end guitarists, that have changed from various guitars, and.or banjo's, mandolins, etc.. and none ever uttered any expletives because they didn't all feel exactly the same... in fact, non ever even missed a beat...

just wonderin'zall

r

7. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It makes no difference, from mandolin through to bass. Too busy trying to remember where the notes are...

Nickadermis likes this.
  8. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

im still trying to get an answer on this one. what will happen at fret 21 if i switch to a standard bridge?

9. fatcat

fatcat Friend of Leo's

I was lucky enough to have a buddy in the machine shop at work which milled off a 1/4" of a brass gfs trem block for me. Worked like a champ. If you know anyone who knows a machinist.... It took all of 10 minutes.

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Ad Free Member

The wider the trem string spacing, the closer they get to the edges of the neck. The opposite would be true of a narrower string spacing on the same guitar.

see post 4 here:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/strat-bridge-string-spacings.30634/

Squier Strat string spacing appears to be 2-1/16" at least this one is:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148343&icep_item=263858489113

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.