1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Dumb Humbucker Question

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Steve Holt, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

Okay so being a single coil guy almost my entire run of guitar modding and building, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to humbuckers.

I built a Strat for a friend and he wants to possibly put in a humbucker. I told him it's only routed for singles, but it would be easy enough to route a humbucker or do a whole swimming pool route so he could have more options for the future. Or do a single coil sized humbucker.

But here's my question. Off the top of my head the cavity route is 5/8" deep (maybe 3/4") and the trem route is 5/8" deep too. So I've got roughly half an inch of wood in the middle before the two cavities meet. I haven't owned or studied too many humbuckers. So do I need to route deeper for the little feet to sit? If so how much? I've been looking at bodies with swimming pool routes and they don't seem to have the extra feet routes.

2. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

It depends on the body maker; some rout the pickup cavities deep enough to accept the pickup and the mounting legs. Some makers rout the cavities shallow and then add a little 'well' at each end of the pickup cavity to accommodate the legs of the pickup. Some that do large shallow 'pool' routs add long channels to accommodate flexible pickup placement.

It also depends on the pickup you plan on installing. Some makers use long legs and some use shorter ones. Decide on the pickup you'll use and go from there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

eclecticsynergy and Steve Holt like this.
  3. Steve Holt

Steve Holt Friend of Leo's

I was afraid that would be the answer :lol:

Peegoo and trev333 like this.
  4. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I converted a mate's old Teisco strat to a HH..... he was happy..:)

I was playing Bass with him so I heard them a lot... better than the old single coils....;)

you might not need to remove much, short leg HB's hang ok off a pickguard without going deeper....

Teisco8.JPG

Steve Holt likes this.
  5. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

the HH teisco, I just put a few old F spaced HB's taken off other guitars on it for a trial, they were taking up space on the bench top...:rolleyes::D

through his PV valve king they sounded grand...:cool:, sweet, I didn't have to pull it apart again or source other HB's....;)

one V one T, 3 way to leave space at the top....

kev's HH Teisco strat.jpg

Tele_Luvr likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.