Dull sounding neck pickup

ALFAFENDER

NEW MEMBER!
Help! I just purchased a 1969 Tele. The neck pickup works, but is very dull sounding. Like the tone control is all the way down. It measures close to 9k on my meter. Any ideas ?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Any ideas ?

It may be substantially demagnetized. Do you have another Tele? If so, take a small Allen wrench and gently stick it to the neck pickup of the other ("good") Tele. Take note of how well the magnets attract the wrench.

Now try the same thing with the sick pickup. Does it feet the same? If the magnetic pull is weaker, that is the problem. If not, it could be a poor solder joint in the circuit, or some other goofiness perpetrated by a previous owner.

Some pickups can sound really anemic when a the wire is broken in the coil. This is referred to as a "zombie" pickup because the DCR will be infinite on a meter (open circuit)--but the pickup still makes some sound due to inductance produced by the thousands of turns on the coil. We know this is not the case with your pickup because you got a 9K reading by testing it directly.

Si G X

Friend of Leo's
It's hard to say, could be an issue with the way it's wired.... 9K seems a lot for a standard Fender neck pickup though.

I know someone will say it, so it might as well be me .... pictures might help.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
First, the neck pup on a Tele often does sound compressed and a bit warm. But 9k would be an awful hot pickup for the neck for sure.
I would look inside at what pickup it is, the wiring etc first thing.

thegaijin

Tele-Meister
I got my first real six string

Sing it with me people

Bought it at the five and dime….

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist)

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
the switch could be corroded to, bad solder joint etc.
put is straight to the output and hear what happens than

SPUDCASTER

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Plated brass cover?

If you're used to a neck pickup with the nickel silver cover. A plated brass cover will seem a little dull.

I would look into the other suggestion too.