1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Duke Robillard to Play Local Haunt

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hockey Rocker, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Hockey Rocker

Hockey Rocker Former Member

I've been a fan since getting turned onto Ronnie Earl about a decade ago and understanding his relationship via Roomful of Blues. Plus he walked me through the style of T-Bone Walker via his instructional DVD. I'm looking forward to catching him in a couple of weeks right down the street at the Stanhope House. Cool.

[​IMG]

2. markothefish

markothefish Friend of Leo's

Duke Robillard is a Rhode Island institution . I've seen him a few times , He is great !!!! I urge every one in the N.J. area to catch his show if you love old school, big blues ...

3. sirtwang

sirtwang TDPRI Member

"Duke Robillard is a Rhode Island institution" .

Yeah, I've caught him at the Warwick, Rhode Island Guitar Center a couple of times trying things out.

4. Hockey Rocker

I'm hopin' he does play some Telecaster. I love Blues and Telecasters.

5. TelZilla

TelZilla Friend of Leo's

I saw him play at "The Haunt" in Ithaca, NY several times in the late 80's early 90's. I was in college.

He might be may fave ever. Or maybe Ronnie Earl. Or Keef...

Anyway, go and enjoy. He is so tasteful and really weaves lots in- blues, jazz country, single note stuff, crazy chords- all that stuff.

6. stevieboy

stevieboy Poster Extraordinaire

When I was a young feller in Boston in the early 70's, Roomful of Blues used to come up once or twice a month and play 3 or 4 nights moving from club to club. My friends and I, already blues fanatics, used to go usually to at least one and often more of the dates each time they came in. Always a great show, and I've been a Duke fan ever since.

I later saw Roomful with Ronnie Earl and immediately became a fan of his as well. I think that Roomful of Blues itself was a better band with Duke though--the guitar playing was stellar both ways of course, but Duke brought his singing and the songs he did to the band, switching off fronting with Greg Piccolo.

Duke plays a lot of different guitars. He'll probably have an archtop and a solidbody, more likely a strat I would guess, but you never know!

7. shades

shades Tele-Afflicted

Duke will be in Pittsburgh this Friday (11-30) at the Thunderbird Cafe.
    Yep, I'll be there. He was great when I seen him in June.
    A very nice guy too.

:cool:

8. Louthunder

Louthunder Tele-Holic

Yes, He is a nice guy. I was lucky enough to meet him in Grand Rapids 2 or 3 years ago. What a great show!

9. hotgoalie11565

hotgoalie11565 Tele-Meister

I saw Duke about 10 years ago at the Taste Of Minnesota, and he was just phenomenal. I've been groovin' on his stuff for about 20 years now. To those of you who have met him, I'm jealous. ;)

10. Tremo

Tremo Banned

Great player, nice guy.

11. Steve G

Steve G Friend of Leo's

Duke is just great, would love to see him live, but I dont think he comes to these parts much these days.

12. Hockey Rocker

So I caught Duke at the Stanhope House in North Jersey on Saturday night. The place holds 150 and had maybe 100-120. Robillard hadn't been there in over twenty years but he seemed very familiar with the place and cracked wise about his age a few times. Nice guy. He chatted with everyone who approached him between sets and after the show. He had a four piece band with drums, bass and keyboards. It was a long show that went fast, just short of 3 ½ hours. Duke had the people dancing too. He flowed seamlessly through many Blues/Jazz styles echoing T-Bone Walker, BB King and Albert Collins among others. He opened with a Les Paul Gold Top playing "No Way Out", favored big old Gibson Jazz box for the Jump Blues and Swing and went to a Fender Esquire for shuffles and a tribute to Albert Collins. After he broke out the Fender he cracked, "Next time I'll even bring a ukulele!" Good show, nice guy. The man is like the Library of Congress of Blues guitar styles.

[​IMG]

13. Fret Wilkes

Fret Wilkes Friend of Leo's

I believe you can purchase official "Duke-built" partscasters from him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.