1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Duesenberg Les Trem on Ibanez

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Donelson, Mar 1, 2019.

1. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

The double pickguards was a Howe thing - without going to the closet and finding those 1982 Guitar Player magazines I believe he had 3 of these for that tour and he put the upper pickguard on all 3 for whatever personal reason - and I don't think the articles described why he added the upper pickguard. It only described that he used them for the tour because he could get a wide array of tones out of them - he had used 10-20 different guitars on the Asia album but felt these would cover most of them for the tour.

Donelson likes this.
  2. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

OK, now 3rd day with Duesenberg "Les Trem" on my Ibanez AGS83. I am declaring victory: Axe is gigworthy with this unit. What I did tonight was, attempt to use the stock spring again, I believe it is a Reverend spring or a copy of that, as I have Reverends on my 3 Bigsby axes, looks like the same thing, feels the same. But on the Bigsbys, the spring is well out of the way of the playing area. With Duesenberg, the spring is right there. like 1/4" from the edge of the bridge. So the taller height of that type spring makes the spring cap where the arm attaches, seem really high & clunky, an annoyance for sure to me. So I took that spring & tightened it up all the way in a vise & left it there for a long time, maybe 5 hours. Took it out a while ago; definitely made it a bit shorter, by maybe 3/16" or so. Maybe more. Reinstalled into Iby. Ahhhh. Sits lower by a noticeable amount. Still retains the softer whammy feel. Guitar fits in the case just the same as it did without this whammy.

Here is a side view from a player angle. Yes it still does look high, but it really is not that bad at all set here. You can play normally without crashing into anything usually. P.S. The arm height is adjustable via 2 set screws. I have it set where it feels OK to me for now. As I said earlier, that is a cast-off broken short strat arm, not the real long stock Duesenberg arm.

upload_2019-3-4_4-21-41.png

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Cool!
    I too prefer a shorter bar/arm.
    Great re-purposing!

Donelson likes this.
  4. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

The Les Trem is great! I used the butter knife arm parts from my Gretsch Double Jet Bigsby when I upgraded it to a Duane Eddy arm, worked out nice on my Wilshire:

Wilshirelestrembigsby.jpg

No drilling or grinding, just unbolted the Les Trem arm receiver and installed the Bigsby parts.

jayyj, Donelson and perttime like this.
  5. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Is that one of the ones with the wide nut? Very cool guitars. I think some of them had 1-3/4" nuts.

zippofan likes this.
  6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

I haven't measured it, but Epi says 1 11/16":
    http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Designer/TV-Silver-Wilshire-PRO.aspx

It's a really cool guitar, and satisfied my SG GAS. Neck is on the thin side for me as I like more of a baseball bat, but it's a very playable instrument. Other than the Les Trem and bridge, it's entirely stock which is totally out of character for me. Pickups sound great, tuners hold tune and the electronics are OK with full sized pots. Every time I think about putting better humbuckers in I play it and say nah, sounds just right as it is.

Best part is I got it from Amazon(!) when I had a bunch of gift cards, and with a no name case I spent about 40 bucks out of pocket :D The Les Trem was more than that!

Donelson likes this.
  7. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Here is a hidden feature of this Duesenberg Les Trem II. I only got around to trying this tonight. If you hit a note, hold it, then bend another string, the original held note stays on pitch. Same as most or all non-trem axes.

I am not an engineer, so I don't understand how that is possible. All I know is, it is true. Bending a string with this product installed has no affect on the other strings, pitch-wise.

I have had numerous strats over the decades, and have two now. HQ USA models. Unless you put one of those intrusive "stabilizers" on there, the held strings change pitch if a different string is bent. Same, to a lesser degree, with Bigsby guitars.

This here Duesenberg does not have that issue. I have checked it many times tonight since I noticed that. Held string stays true in pitch while another string is bent.

I learned faux pedal steel licks on guitar way back in the 70's. Part of growing up in TN I guess. Here ya go, a whammy that will let you do those licks with no extra gizmos needed. This company should use this in their advertising.

zippofan likes this.
  8. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

For real, I would like to have someone who has engineering skills explain why this Duesenberg whammy bridge holds the pitch of a string when another string is bent, even like a m3rd. It absolutely does work that way. No other whammies that I have ever tried, does that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.