1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Duesenberg Les Trem on Ibanez

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by Donelson, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I just put this Duesenberg Les Trem on my Ibanez AGS83. Exact fit replacement for the stop tailpiece. Easy install. Comes with bolts for USA and import guitars. No extra holes needed. This guitar already had well-polished & lubed nut & saddle slots, so no pitch issues at all after wiggling the stick. Zero.

Way easier to change strings than with a bigsby.

My only negatives: IMO the bar is too long, strat-length I guess. Learning curve for the player. And, the unit is pretty tall, so might cause a problem putting the axe in the case. I have checked this one, fits in the stock Ibanez case but you do have to push down on the lid a good bit to shut it.

If you do some tweaking the thing does not interfere with hand position or playing technique in general.

upload_2019-3-1_22-20-14.png

uriah1, zippofan, Zepfan and 6 others like this.
  2. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Poster Extraordinaire

It does look a bit long,

3. Tele Fan

Tele Fan Friend of Leo's

You might try putting it in a vice and bending it, but I'd make sure you can get a replacement arm before you try.

Donelson likes this.
  4. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

You can twirl the arm around and adjust the height as-is. Also adjust the tension for arm flopping tension.

eclecticsynergy likes this.
  5. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

I just put one on an ES Artist and I more or less agree with your assessment - great unit but the arm placement is a bit weird if you're used to Bigsbys. The tailpiece on mine was a little way back from the bridge so it's an inch or so back from where yours is but even then it's weird. Still, I love the look, needed a 'no holes' solution and it's lighter than a Bigsby.

That squashy spring is pretty cool - you can divebomb much more aggressively than a Bigsby and it generally feels a bit more Strat-like in operation.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

smartsoul72, Zepfan and Donelson like this.
  6. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

Does the arm come apart in a way that would let a machinist shorten it without too much trouble?

7. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

I prefer a Bigsby and the way the strings wrap around helps hold that spring in place, but I'm conservative in tastes in all things.
    I bet the Ibanez sounds good. I had an Ibanez Artist back in the 80s and yep, stupid me, sold it.

Donelson and 6stringcowboy like this.
  8. perttime

perttime Tele-Afflicted

You did what?!?!?!?!?!

I hope it was because you wanted an acoustic or something that sounds like a Telecaster!

9. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Yes, the arm comes out easily if you loosen two set screws.

10. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Duesenberg & Ibanez, 2nd try: I looked around for discarded guitar parts in various boxes & came up with this. A DG brand short strat arm that broke off of one of my strats a few years ago. I filed off any rough edges from the remaining threads. Fit right in there. Now the distance from the end of the bridge to the end of the arm is 3-3/4", same as another Ibanez I have that has a factory Bigsby. [With the stock Duesenberg arm that distance was 5-1/2".] Also I found the chrome arm tip. I looked at old cast off bigsby springs, picked the shortest one, & changed it out. Makes a difference; now the guitar fits into the case easily without having to push down on the lid. Lastly I found that nifty chromed metal PU switch tip that I had bought some long time ago & never used.

Overall I think this will work well for me. Thanks Bob for recommending this unit!

I love this AGS83. I got it used with case for $300 about 10 years ago. The only remaining stock parts are the strap buttons, truss rod cover, and pickguard. Having a wiggle stick on there is awesome.

upload_2019-3-2_18-14-40.png

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
    zippofan, Zepfan, dswo and 3 others like this.
  11. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

I just sold my Duesy Les Trem.

You do know that you can adjust how much arm length you want, right?

12. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I don't see how that is possible. All that I see that you can do is change the amount of the arm end that feeds through the round part above the spring. That is not really affecting the length much, at least not enough to suit me.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  13. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

I never have seen nor even heard of, the ES Artist. Is it hollow with no f-holes, or solid? I have had three different ES335's going back to the mid 70's; not familiar at all with this model. Seems like a lot more space between the bridge & stop tailpiece than I am used to. Interesting looking axe.

14. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Not the owner, but I remember these from the late 70s/early 80s. Semi-hollow like any other ES, but no f-holes and active electronics designed (and maybe built by) Moog for Gibson - Gibson put the electronics in a Les Paul model and that odd-shaped RD model as well. They all had that TP6 fine-tuning tailpiece so the tailpiece was moved back a bit from other stop-tails.

My main memory of these is from 1982 - Steve Howe used them as his stage guitars for Asia's first tour (back in 1982 Guitar Player did a 2-issue feature on the making of the Asia album).

Bri-Sonic and Donelson like this.
  15. bender66

You just described how to change the length.

It's been awhile since I had it on my guitar but i sold it to a friend a couple months ago. I can look at it. I remember loosening the "round part above the spring" and shortening the length. It looks to me you did that in your photos. Both pics are different.

If I remember correctly I swear the handle/tip unscrewed too. If it was still too long I thought you could route the bar onto the other side of the elbow. Forgive me if I'm wrong.

You could also find the right diameter & form your own I'd think if you really wanted to be creative.

16. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I want that.

Donelson likes this.
  17. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

It only shortens up a little bit. End result at the shortest point, is an arm way longer than what a regular Bigsby would have. My solution, posted above, was to use a cast off short strat arm.

bender66 likes this.
  18. bender66

Ahhh... Sorry. My phone is hard to see & my reading comprehension was bad.

That strat arm looks cool in the pic. Same diameter I assume?

19. Donelson

Donelson Tele-Afflicted

Re: a couple of posts above about the Gibson ES Artist from late 70's/early 80's. I never until now knew about this model. For some reason it fascinates me. I don't get the double pickguard. But, lots of things I don't get. upload_2019-3-3_1-25-26.png

Bri-Sonic and jayyj like this.
  20. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Others have already described it but basically it's a 355 without F holes and with active electronics by Moog. The mini switches are a compressor, an expander (basically a noise gate with a ramped close so the sound dies away unnaturally quickly) and a truly horrible treble boost. It's a bit quirky but a fun guitar and I love the necks on this era of Gibson.

Donelson likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.