Dude at gc was telling me

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Gary Mitchell, Nov 1, 2014.

1. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

Your Tele won't sound good at the gig if you drive there in a Gremlin.

I've only been in one GC (on Indian Bend in Scottsdale, AZ), and that was enough. I understand that the guys there are just trying to make a crust like anyone else, but it's just not my cuppa.

2. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Choose any mildly technical topic of discussion here on TDPRI. Nothing too hard or obscure. Walk into a GC, mind your own business. When the rep starts minding your business, too, bring it up. Ask their opinion, or ask for clarification. Most get that deer-in-headlights look. Mention the same thing in a good music store, and plan to be embroiled in a satisfying geekfest discussion. Not all reps in all GCs, of course not. I remember one guy in a large Hartford area GC who was good. But most just don't know squat.

3. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

If you really love an amp and find a guitar you own and dig does not get along well with it, the problem is most likely due to impedance mismatching.
    There are enough ways to make friends of the two.

However, that should not be a reason not to get more guitars or amps:D

Next time you go to GC, tell the guys who sell cables you need a Tuchel to Lightpipe (Toslink) adapter for a big session.

4. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Guitar Center / Musician's Friend / Music & Arts / Woodwind and Brasswind / Music 123 / Lyons Music are all under the same umbrella.

American Musical Supply began as the catalog and Internet division of Victor's House of Music. When Victor's was leased by GC in 2007, the former Victor's owners retained control of AMS and continue to operate it as a mail order and web business.

+1 for Action Music.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is a good reason to NOT want Guitar Center to go under. If that ship starts sinking, that's a lot of people that could potentially lose their jobs.

6. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Yeah, but we have zero control over that. It's not pricing. It's capital allocation and mismanagement. That'll do a good business in, every time.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I have problems with that argument. Imagine it carried out to an extreme.

8. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

consider the source, almost like a Burger Clerk or a Subway clerk...Not all GC folks are like that, yes, several are, but many are not. I deal with GC now and then , many are pretty good, some can be annoying, no different than any retail clerk..

GC is not a bad store but it can be an experience....If you have tubes in your amp older than the clerk..find a new clerk ! :lol:

9. LeroyBlues

LeroyBlues Tele-Holic

Classic newbie salesman mistake. Instead of offending you, by stating that the amp is not a good match, he should have approached it like this. 'Well that's a nice amp. If you like that amp, I think you'd really like this amp here', pointing to whatever amp flavor of the week he's trying to promote. lol Sorry, have had a bit of sales training in my past life.

10. johnnyhit&run

johnnyhit&run TDPRI Member

Slightly off topic, but I once worked in retail electronics, in three different brick-and-mortar stores. I can't tell you how many times I would spend thirty minutes or an hour with a potential customer, showing and explaining various models. They might have unruly kids with them or leave half-empty Starbucks cups on top of a $900 device. Inevitably, they would ask why we were about 20% more than the internet dealers. I would explain that mail order was always cheaper, but that we had overhead, wages, local taxes. And, I would politely point out, you can come here to see, touch and hear the products. And we were an authorized [famous name brand] dealer, so we could provide warranty service. About 80% of the time, the person would say, "Let me think about it" and leave. Often they would return about a week later with the very same item that they had bought cheaper on the internet and ask me how to set it up or why it wouldn't work. So: I invest time and effort in the customer's education, but I don't sell much. And then you want to quiz me some more about the [often grey-market] thing you bought from some warehouse? Probably different with guitars, but had to vent.

11. gridlock

gridlock Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have gotten great deals at my GC. Most of the guys are good and they work with me on pricing. I know what I want, I have decent gear knowledge, and I know when to go to someone else (a manager) if I am not happy. Love having a GC close to me.

12. chipwich

chipwich Tele-Meister

As far as gear goes, I am lucky to live in a large metropolitan area with 2 x GC stores and 1 x SA all within 15 to 20 min. drive. There are also a couple of _really_ good LGS's near as well, one of which gets all of my repair/setup work. Considering the alternative, I am thankful to have it near rather than far. The nearest GC doesn't have a very high turnover of employees and I recognize most of the sales people, some who have been there more than 5 years, which tells me that they are probably not being treated badly, and might have at least a working knowledge of their products, if only by osmosis.

They also have decent acoustic and recording areas, the later of which holds free workshops on Saturday mornings. You can learn the basics and meet like minded folks, with very little pressure to buy, other that what is put on yourself by being surrounded by a lot of gear.

Occasionally you'll get bad advice, but since music is so subjective, I take it all with a grain of salt. I've never had anyone be rude or condescending. Like any pursuit, to enter blindly or uneducated puts you at their mercy. Best to do a little homework up front. YMMV.

13. hogwylde

hogwylde TDPRI Member

Well for me the classic match for a Tele is the Vox AC30C1 and my 3 Monkeys Sock Monkey, both amps on, effects (including the Bones ABY). The Vox in the normal channel, not the top boost. And the Monkey dialed in just to match the same general sound of the Vox. Now that is for the sweet chime tone. For grit anything is possible effects or just turn the amps up. My most recent addition as far as amps go is a Matchless Spitfire Clone built from a Davis 106 PA. Chime if you want it, turn it up and I, well I have never had the pleasure of actually playing a Trainwreck (who has), but I am getting these harmonics that are so touch sensitive, pinch, and I am not all that good at that, and the 12th, 7th, 5th and even 3rd fret muted chimes. This is a sweet build. And a Loud 15 watts or so. Running through a bargain pawnshop find Jet City 2 X 12 cab. By the way I can't seem to find this exact cab anywhere, trying to research it. It is JCA24S, but has a full enclosed back, not a convertible, with the 70 watt Eminence equipped rating. Must be a pair of 35 watters.

14. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Former Member

Tele's you just got to know how to play it when you plug it in to something. Not all the guy's at GC are bad and they do help keep price's down I guess. Lately I have been having good luck with Zzounds. I don't buy a lot of stuff, I have my Tele now, a Les Paul, a Fender Cowpoke bass they call it, my Gibson acoustic, Rivera Clubster Royale, MarkBass Jeff Berlin bass amp. Fender Blues Jr, Peavey Bravo. I am happy. I want to get a old PV steel amp with a 15in Black widow to play lap steel on. I do not use a lot of effects plug and play.

15. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

Hardly ever in retail sales do they offer the clerks any sales training, minimum at best. Some people are very good naturally at selling and some will never be any good regardless of how much training they have. Historically in retail sales , the training is more geared to pushing "select" products rather than actually asking a customer what it is they are seeking. GC unfortunately is no different.

I'm still wondering why the Rivera Clubster is not a good amp for a Tele !!

16. SkipParis

SkipParis Tele-Meister

+2 for Action Music Highly recommend Matt and his crew.

17. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Government subsides for music stores? I can live with that.

18. Johnny Cache

Johnny Cache Former Member

With the turn over rate at GC, does this Dude still work there?

19. kjt1776

kjt1776 Banned

In my experience I find GC's to be the perfect begginners trap. Nothing on there floor for amps is any good. Except for a few fenders. 99 percent of there guitars on the wall are over priced crap. Most of there sales staff know absolutely nothing about the products they are selling. So when I bring my fully custom built tele that rivals anything they for the most part have ever held in their hands the jaws drop. And I smile and plug in and fiddle around to kill some time. Then I check out the used stuff to see if there is anything they priced wrong because they have no idea what it is. I usually talk up only one or two employees, those are usually the ones that have the same feelings about there store that I do and refuse to push crumby products just to boost sales but there are only 1 or 2 of them there at a time. GC use to be a great place don't get me wrong but they are so sales driven it has become a turn off over all. I love ZZounds and Sweetwater these days and when I call to talk tech it is with an actual guitar player so they know where I am coming from.

20. mishagolin

mishagolin Tele-Meister

Here is my experience as well as timeline.

Guitar Center moved into my town around 2002. The store was cleaner and more well designed than the Sam Ash (still family owned) that was down the street. For the most part both stores carried similar gear and had similar prices so i went to the cleaner one. At the time there were some knowledgeable people working there but that was also relative to my own knowledge. I had been playing guitar for about 6 years at that point. I purchased a good deal of equipment from them ranging from studio gear to guitar pedals to a nice Martin 000-16. I would walk in and go straight to a few sales people i had built relationships with. I would only ask for deals on large ticket items. The sales people still worked on commission at the time and had some bargaining power. I wouldnt try to negotiate on a few packs of strings, picks or cables. I figured if i only asked for a favor once in a while i'd be more likely to get it.

in 2007 Bain Capital bought control of Guitar Center. They made sweeping changes to sales policies and that in turn drove out the knowledgeable staff. Gone was the ability to negotiate with sales people. Gone was any value of knowledge. Bain was interested in selling high margin items as quickly as they could. The staff became younger and less savvy. They capitalized on the popularity of Guitar Hero (which Guitar Center paid to have their store in the game). This drove a bunch of young kids into the stores with mom and dad in tow. Sales became about convincing mom and dad why junior needed a line6 spyder, or upgrade to a fender cybertwin.

Most stores struggle with the internet. However, Bain did well at hedging and acquired a good deal of the internet music stores, Musicians Friend, Music123, WoodwindBrasswind etc. The over-leverage of these companies is standard operating procedure from Bain Capital. They take their cut and then sell off the scrap. This leaves GC and its sister companies in piles of debt. The company has failed to serve experienced musicians for one reason. They lost the knowledge base of seasoned musicians in their salesteam. They focused on hiring kids who could sell crap for cheap rather than an experienced veteran. I almost have to gaff tape my mouth shut before I walk in to refrain from ridiculing some of the employees. I often quietly pull customers aside and correct all the things that the salesperson got wrong.

i remember specifically a salesperson in the studio section telling a customer that the converters in the apogee duet are so good that you want to record them on the way in and out so you should take your outputs of your mix and put them back through the inputs and record it again. My brain almost started bleeding at the thought. Yes, many people push a mix back out of the system through some processing but its typically through high quality outboard analog gear like compressors, eqs, preamps etc. I put my mixes though an ssl compressor clone and some api preamp and eq clones. Putting a mix out because you want the sound of the converters is idiotic.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.