Dublin Blues - another Guy Clark cover

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by still_fiddlin, Sep 3, 2018.

1. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

And, yet another collection of scratch tracks and experiments that I've been lazy about. The fiddler, mando and singer that were supposed to show up months ago never materialized and so last weekend when our son was in town I replaced a couple of the rotted strings on my fiddle and said "play something." Dutiful son that he is, he did (first time ever playing anything other that classical, Christmas or wedding music I'd venture). Told my wife to sing this morning, and since our son was on it, she complied. (Wish I could work this magic all the time...)

Anyway, have at it. Some things can be fixed, some might, and some are either in or out at this point, but I like that I've got a couple of the clan pitching in :).

elihu likes this.
  2. woodman

woodman Grand Wazoo @ The Woodshed Gold Supporter

Wow, that's what I'd call Music, bud. Deeply heartfelt, and that comes through in the tracking — the lyrics have an extra dimension. ... I've had a couple this afternoon (day buzz!), so I'm gonna reserve mix commentary til morning, except that you've got a sweet bass tone goin' on!

Any flex on going back in on a track or two, or are you set with what you got? Just wonderin', I ain't got a dog in either fight! :D

3. still_fiddlin

Happy Labor Day ;) Woody...

Any/all comments welcome. I can't redo the fiddle - when our son's in the country he's 2 time zones away and doesn't have a way to record AFAIK, and probably would need a lot of reason to approach the wife's vocal, because this is the first time she's ever done anything like this, and I'd like to do this again, but comments/suggestions are always read and filed. Oh, and the drums, well, that's the Logic drummer, so my ability to negotiate differences there are limited by my own ignorance of what real drummers do, but I'd make a stab if it was a learning moment :). Anything else can be done, and I could take a stab at the pitchy vocal just because it gets harder and harder to listen to...

P.S. Thanks for the listen(s) and comments so far!

4. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Beautifully done. The fact that it is a family affair just makes it better. Listening with the cans I wouldn't change much if anything on the basic sound of your tracks. It SOUNDS good.

I always have comments....I would like to hear your wife up in the mix a bit, I am a sucker for those high harmonies.

Perhaps duck the strumming acoustic guitar back back behind your vocal during the verses. Your voice has so much texture, I think hearing it a bit more clearly there would make it even more impactful.

Your son's violin part sounds great, nice phrasing and pitch too. There are a couple times during the verses where the changes go IV-I like at 21 and 39 seconds in the first verse...he plays the IV then the third of the I in a lower register...I would maybe push his part there a little, it sounds so sweet.

If you are using the Logic drummer I am assuming the groove you are looking for is steady throughout the song...It seems like things get a little bit rushed in some of the choruses...maybe if you pulled the snare down some it wouldn't be noticeable. (or more likely its just me :lol:)

Great effort, great sounding song you have put together, I enjoyed it!

still_fiddlin likes this.
  5. t-ray

t-ray Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Well, that was beautiful. My only comment is I would like to hear more of your wife's vocal, as Paratus noted. Boost it up a bit.
    Sometime I would love to see you post something about your overall approach to recording (or, maybe I missed it!).

6. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Pretty much don’t change a thing. Your voice is perfect for this. The fiddle sounds great. Maybe give a little lift to the background vox. They sound nice.

My only quibble would be the drums. They could use a nudge, back mostly, they tend to be a little on top of the beat. Depends on how fussy you want to get. I think if you did a delay of 10 or fifteen msec on the drums they might sit better. In most places. Might be too much. Definitely will be too much in some places though. And, I’m not sure this needs em.

Cheers,
    Geoff

7. woodman

Day 2: I'm on board with Paratus and Geoff ... if you could automate your guitar off the vocals, leaving the fills (no matter how brief), you can deliver the lyrics without distraction. As for the drums, sometimes if you place the snare a little *behind the beat,* it creates a pocket that really moves the groove along. Just a little nudge to the right of the grid marker.

I'd like to hear more of your wife too, but I understand her being a little mike-shy. My thought was, what if you brought her up almost equal to your lead vocal, then overdubbed a harmony to fill out the strong doubled melody.

Speaking of automation, I'd get that fiddle a little more toward the front on the fills.

No quibble with vocal pitchiness from this quarter — if it doesn't distract, it's part of the act! :cool:

8. still_fiddlin

Big thanks to everyone. I'll make a checklist and see if I can tackle a few of these and get back with an update.

I like the idea of ducking the guitars, and it's something I generally do, and OTTOMH I suspect it's on the first guitar track I put down, but I know I never bussed those together and moved it there, as it was a case of me tossing something in to experiment while waiting for no-shows, and at the end I just left it all in.

I'll see what I can do with the drums. I believe if I touch anything it's going to generate a whole new track so I'll probably have to convert to midi, perhaps in a duplicate, or duplicate and freeze, I don't know, just in case I screw it up (though I'll be creating new Logic "Alternatives" like crazy to isolate changes).

I'll definitely bring up the bgv in the last chorus, where everything's kind of piled in. As my wife is still working ("someone has to work in this family" ;)), I'll probably have to leave off doing more tracking there, though it's tempting to see if one of the takes could just be added for a double.

9. woodman

Actually, I was talking about using the existing tracks (your voice and her voice) as a double-barrelled melody, with you sneaking in a new harmony part with your voice. :twisted: But that's just RIP pie in the sky; it's a great piece of work as it stands.

10. still_fiddlin

Thanks again for all the input. I have taken an incremental step and ducked the guitars against vocals and brought my wife up a smidge, also "rode the fader" a bit with the fiddle, so I at least attempted to address those comments.

I'm going to have to ponder tackling the drums, but I probably will in another day or so, though I expect it will be a series of learning moments and may not see the light of day :). Ya' never know.

No plans to open up this one for another harmony track, though. I'm a poor harmony finder and it would take me more time to pick out a part twixt what I've done and my wife, and then the results, well, who knows. I am on the lookout for another song to do and hoping to find one with more parts I can get in to start with.

I have just updated the original SC link.

@t-ray, my approach with these little home recording projects is pretty simple in that I stumble across a song I want to learn and think it might be fun to lasso in a few folks I know from open mics. So, it starts with me on guitar and vocal if I'm going to sing, or possibly just guitar and a EZDrummer track if someone else will sing. Then, I add tracks as people show up, or in cases like this, they don't so I just keep tossing more guitar in. At some point I figure there's a critical mass and I commence to mixing and hope it hangs together. Oh, and I'm almost always tracking an original arrangement, sometimes with instruments switches, depending on who shows up (and I don't have any Nashville session players on hand ;))

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.