Duane's 1959 Cherry LP Burst, out touring with Bill Graham (pics!)

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by beach bob, Jan 23, 2019.

1. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

So last weekend I rolled across state to see the Bill Graham exhibit in St. Pete. Bill Graham and the Rock & Roll Revolution is at the Florida Holocaust Museum, and takes up the entire second floor of the place... half the exhibit space. Tons of memorabilia, concert posters, and amazing photos & historic trivia make up the exhibit.

For you whippersnappers who might have only a fuzzy idea of who Bill Graham was, Bill was a German Jewish orphan of the Holocaust, who was sent off first to a French orphanage, and then by ship to NYC at the age of 10. Eventually he grew up, became a US citizen, served a stint in the US army during the Korean War, improbably wound up in San Francisco, and became the most successful rock music promoter in history... shepherding several of the burgeoning San Francisco rock bands along the way. In particular, he guided the start of Carlos Santana's career, encouraging him to form a band and follow his muse. Bill operated not one, but three now legendary concert venues: The Fillmore Auditorium, the larger Fillmore West, and the Fillmore East in NYC. One of the more striking facts I found at the exhibit was that between these venues, fifty-eight live albums had been recorded at one of the Fillmores, and of those, seventeen had become gold records(!)...

Anyways -- guitar stuff! There are but three guitars that are part of the exhibit. One is an ornate 1980s era double cut Yamaha guitar of Carlos Santana's, another is an SG with P-90s that Pete Townsend used for the US debut of Tommy at the (correction) Met Opera in NYC [Bill & co. managed the event], and finally Duane Allman's 1959 cherry Les Paul sunburst, the one that was used for the Allman's iconic Live At Fillmore East double ellpee.

So after some google-fu post-visit, I determined that this thing usually resides at the RRHOF in Cleveland... I do not recall seeing it there when I visited two years ago, and during the visit I was definitely in the hunt to eyeball some iconic guitars [the coolest one spied that visit was Jeff Beck's Yardbirds era Esquire... but that's another story!]... so maybe they had it rotated off the Allmans display? I dunno. It's not an unearthed artifact, but it's the first time I have been this close to a for-real holy grail gee-tar.

The exhibit closes in a few weeks in St. Pete. So git on it, if like me you are a weekend (or full-time) hippie, and appreciate this sort of history and geekery. There is a rumor that the exhibit might stay in St. Pete until May 2019... nothing official yet on that though. Here's some pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    Georox, rjtwangs, Stubee and 3 others like this.
  2. beach bob

3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the heads-up. Duane Allman is the reason I started playing guitar 49 years ago. I think I may have to drive over and see this.

beach bob and brookdalebill like this.
  4. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Nice pixs! I think this is a good example about the truth of the 58-60 bursts; this one and the ones I have personally encountered.
    Overall, they were not as flamed as the reissues.

beach bob likes this.
  5. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

Boy, if that effer could talk...

beach bob likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

Graham's autobiography is a good read.

TigerG, beach bob and Bassman8 like this.
  7. BCblues55

BCblues55 Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

I was at the RRHOF two years ago and didn’t see this guitar, but I did see Duane’s SG, which is now owned by Graham Nash and on loan to the Hall. It was very moving, to be within inches of such an iconic guitar!

beach bob likes this.
  8. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Thanks!

beach bob likes this.
  9. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

Bone stock and relatively unremarkable. Just played hard.

I love it.

beach bob likes this.
  10. dkmw

dkmw Poster Extraordinaire

I thought that one was a 58?

The story is he traded his 57 Gold Top (plus an amp head or something) for that burst, in Daytona Beach. But he did keep the pickups from his 57 and had them installed in the burst.

Hotlanta (his second burst) is a 59.

VWAmTele and beach bob like this.
  11. beach bob

Yes it is! I read it several years ago... pretty much essential for anyone who still appreciates the classic era rock. An amazing history.

12. beach bob

What I read today is that yes, he swapped his goldtop pups into the above cherry LP. Everything I have read, including the description at the museum, says the above sunburst is a 1959. Its journeys are well documented.

Duane's other burst [dubbed 'HotLanta' by others, not Duane] is a tobacco burst... it's definitely darker. Its year is unknown, and apparently will remain so... either a '58 or '59. The headstock snapped off and was repaired prior to Duane taking ownership. So evidently, post-repair, the serial number isn't there or readable or whatever, and pot dating wasn't definitive either. <shrug> these things happen ...

Some cool info over at the Les Paul Forum about that one... if I may be so bold as to mention another forum ... I STILL LURVE TELECASTERS BY THE WAY FOLKS
    :lol::lol:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    dkmw likes this.
  13. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

It would say "Hey man, maybe cool it with the Harley, you got a little baby girl at home and your career is really going well."

dkmw likes this.
  14. Georox

Georox Friend of Leo's

Top wrapped.

beach bob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.